Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Really enjoyed Attack The Block - its simplicity and claustrophobia reminded me of some of John Carpenter's films.

Really enjoyed Attack The Block - its simplicity and claustrophobia reminded me of some of John Carpenter's films.

That film was like a bad dream.
It reminded me of Critters stuck in a 21st Century version of Grange Hill, with shit actors playing out tabloid-ready stereotypes.

Scarfies/Crime 101 - arguable the best comedy ever to come out of Dunedin.

tho, b y the same token, I assume it also the worst comedy ever to come out of Dunedin. Marginally amusing on two or three occasions, decent soundtrack tho (Flying Nun bands)

Don't talk wet - it even included a scene from The Shout - probably the most neglected and underrated film from the 70s.
was that the scene with a young john hurt falling down? i wondered what it was.
i didn't like the guard as i was led to believe it would be funny and it wasn't that funny. brendan gleeson is fantastic though. don cheadle isn't.

i didn't like the guard as i was led to believe it would be funny and it wasn't that funny. brendan gleeson is fantastic though. don cheadle isn't.
Yep that's it, do dig it out, it's fantastic. Never understood why it's not better known.

As for the guard, i though Cheadle had to play the role as he did. It worked for me. Ending bit rushed, but enjoyed it a lot. Lot of great one off lines. (That's half a billion)

I don't think it's as good as In Bruges but it's still pretty good. Best comedy I've seen this year.

Four Lions. Not bad for £3 from HMV. I liked the prayer bear and the crow sketch. Some good actors.

Very odd that the sleeve had no details at all only the standard BBFC 15 rating! One can only hope that a little granny didn't buy it thinking it was a follow up to Born Free.

:p

Attack The Block. Dark, funny and very likeable. Not the best film ever, but good solid entertainment and it doesn't hang around too long. More films should be around 90 minutes long - it's a good length.

Sons of Anarchy season 4 episode 3. Wish the J Teller stuff had been killed off last series. Who gives a fuck.

Underbelly Razor up to episode 6. Violent 1920's aussie gang war. Good in a trashy way

Season finale of Alphas. Good stuff. Lighter than heroes, less powered up than x-men. Morally dubious but worth a second series. Still as it is syfy production thats probably the last we will ever see of it

The Veteran - not brilliant but worth watching Brit flic about a soldier returning from duty in Afghanistan and being recruited by British intelligence to track down a terrorist cell while trying to help his friend battle the local London housing estate villian. The acting, shots of London & soundtrack are all pretty good. The gun shoot out at the end is like the bank robbery from Heat moved to London which makes it worth watching alone.

it's ace isn't it? surely you've seen it before though?

I saw it when it came out. It was a lot funnier back then. I think liberal amounts of pot help the humor quotient.

Watching it now, what sticks out is the incredible amount of racism that needs to be present in a country to base this sort of comedy upon.

you're not wrong.
the campfire scene has dated somewhat.

The whole thing has dated.

Watching Cleavon Little do the googly-eyed black thing has dated.

Watching Mel Brooks act like an idiot has dated.

Best part was, the one I watched had the word 'nigger' bleeped out.

How can you have 'Blazing Saddles' without the word 'nigger'?

I watched it a few days ago myself. It resembled Land and Freedom in some ways. And with the counter-insurgency, the swaggering Black and Tan thugs came across as two-dimensional Baddies. Looks real pretty, though.

Finally got round to watching all of The Road. Very grim but very moving. The book was more gut wrenching though.

Also watched Super. Wasnt quite what i was expecting. Thought it was going to be a light hearted film in the vain of Kick Ass. That, it is not. Pretty good film though.

I saw saving private ryan for the first time.
Holy crap, what a load of crap. Crap crap crap on every level. Why did I d . . . AMERICAN FLAG< AMERICA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Big Man. As a comedy it is very dated and fails. As a revisionist western it succeeds. To think they thought of casting Laurence Olivier or Paul Scofield! They must have been pissed.

Isn't it odd how you can go on and off actors? I used to like Hoffman but I now only like him in Midnight Cowboy.

:)

Back
Top Bottom