Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Rollin with the Nines. Watched it and laughed at it until simon from blue appeared acting all gangster which took it beyond funny so I turned it off

Been watching the rest of The Shadow Line this week - not all of it works but it keeps you guessing and some of the performances are top drawer. So bleak, though...
Stephen Rea, in particular. Esp that scene, which I better not mention, if you haven't got to it, yet :)

Irreversible, very good but one of the most brutal films I've ever watched.

Seen Enter the Void yet? Same director.

I just watched Somersault. Aussie coming of age film. Been sat on my hard drive for ages, I thought it sounded a bit of a chick flick but it was excellent, some good performances quite touching.

Kidnapped. Incredibly uncomfortable and powerful Spanish version of Funny Games (it doesn't pretend to be but that's what it is imo). Really bleak and overall very good but sometimes a little huh?

Straightheads - Danny Dyer and that girl off the X Files in a steaming pile of wank that tried to be kind of "I spit on your grave" meets "Strawdogs"

Meeks Cutoff (2010) -
The year is 1845, the earliest days of the Oregon Trail, and a wagon team of three families has hired the mountain man Stephen Meek to guide them over the Cascade Mountains. Claiming to know a short cut, Meek leads the group on an unmarked path across the high plain desert, only to become lost in the dry rock and sage. Over the coming days, the emigrants must face the scourges of hunger, thirst and their own lack of faith in each other's instincts for survival. When a Native American wanderer crosses their path, the emigrants are torn between their trust in a guide who has proven himself unreliable and a man who has always been seen as the natural enemy.

I enjoyed this, it was very slow paced with sparse dialog but this goes with the characters slow progress through a desolate location (reminded me of Gus Van Sant's Gerry at times). The tension is built up nicely.

The Machine Girl.
Looks like it can't possibly be bad doesn't it. . .
machine-girl.jpg

Well it's shite.

Oh god, it seems they have even made an even lower budget sequel, despite everyone dying (many characters are back) in the first film.
Apparently though it was only shot as an extra for the DVD of the original.

Red Road, gritty Glasgow drama id wanted to see for a while. Good story, good acting & it reminded me just how grim parts of the East End can be.

Currently watching Gasland, a documentary about how hydraulic fracturing or "fracking" for natural gas has fucked up an awful lot of America. Read somewhere recently that they want to do the same procedure over here.

You seen Chanbara Beauty, yet?
I nearly picked up a copy in Japan but I heard it was really really shit. Worse than the game.
I kinda fancy watching Konyaku Dragon, which for some reason they have called Big Tits Vs Zombie or something in the west. In general I am not a fan of those low budget Japanese crap or daft splatter films. Most are really just terrible. They generally have a really cool idea that they then execute in a really terrible way. It can obviously be done well enough on a low budget with a decent story (as Miike Takashi has proved) but it almost never is.

Red Road, gritty Glasgow drama id wanted to see for a while. Good story, good acting & it reminded me just how grim parts of the East End can be.

Saw this last night after taping it off the telly and thought it was brilliant. Gripping and heartbreaking.

I nearly picked up a copy in Japan but I heard it was really really shit. Worse than the game.
I kinda fancy watching Konyaku Dragon, which for some reason they have called Big Tits Vs Zombie or something in the west. In general I am not a fan of those low budget Japanese crap or daft splatter films. Most are really just terrible. They generally have a really cool idea that they then execute in a really terrible way. It can obviously be done well enough on a low budget with a decent story (as Miike Takashi has proved) but it almost never is.

it is unbelievably bad. And not the so bad it's good way, either.

District 9 on DVD ... god it was awful, going for X-men first class tonight.

For scifi pap I thought D9 was better than average. X-Men 1st is better, maybe the best Xmen film but still just a silly super hero film. It stands out because they are usually just so damn terrible. Bacon makes a good baddie in this and Super (which I loved)

Water for Elephants - That Christoph Waltz character - August, made me think of the camp building manager at work. Real sadistic, sinister, creepy. The film itself was conventional, unoriginal like a remake of a remake.

Super 8 Cant walk passed a bus stop without bein bombarded wiv "film of the year" * 5 stars* blah blah blah! Jesus are the reviewers fer these so called papers magazines in the pocket of the film company's? Gotta say it a pretty average film! Nowt new and Nowt original and probably the most turgid ending in a film this year! 5 Stars my Arse';;';

Super 8 Cant walk passed a bus stop without bein bombarded wiv "film of the year" * 5 stars* blah blah blah! Jesus are the reviewers fer these so called papers magazines in the pocket of the film company's? Gotta say it a pretty average film! Nowt new and Nowt original and probably the most turgid ending in a film this year! 5 Stars my Arse';;';

It's a beautiful little film, not an event movie. I guess a lot of these reviewers are harking back to less gimicky times. It's a nostalgic film, no product placement (apart from TAB and Kodak!), little CGI and fleshed out characters.

Back
Top Bottom