Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

First two episodes of The Shadow Line. The first ep is a bit clunky (especially that bloody awful press conference) but it soon settles down into something genuinely gripping. If I can stay awake, I might even go and watch episode three now.

Submarine! Jesus im lost for fecking words! Probably the best film ive watched in years. I mean if yer could make a film just especially for me this would be it!
Great soundtrack, beautiful cinematography, great acting. as someone mentioned on imdb this not entertainment its Disentertainment! This is how you deprogram people who just watched "Inception"

Machuca. Fantastic film about two Chilean schoolboys, one from the slums, the other from the comfy middle class, who become friends in the days before the coup.

If you want to see the epitome of British shite, the reason why we are so far behind the Europeans, then watch Down Terrace.

It's a dirty kitchen sink drama(?) Fixed focal length lens on a hand held camera - a bit like watching a tennis match between two cats in a small terraced living room. Have I told you enough already? Ugly people - have you ever spent an evening with ignorant chavs? If you have that will give you an idea of what the dialogue is like. The actors are ugly, the plot is pointless, the mise-en-scène should rally be described as missing completely. In case you've not guessed it's about Mockney gangstas - how bleedin' unusual!

It really is fucking rank of the first order. Make a note of the directors name. Until he learns to get a good d.p. avoid him like your mate's got the bubonic plague.

I am so glad I watched a Spike Lee film afterwards. I needed it to adjust my aesthetic compass.

Norbit - Eddie Murphy romcom, in which the many layers of latex foam fail to hide just how crap it is.​

But for film trivia fans, the Asian woman who plays his adoptive mother, Ling Ling Wong, was one of the pill-popping women seen on the video advertisement boards in Blade Runner.​

Limitless - I can't believe they made a film out of the 10% brain myth.
Very average. Characters were too shallow. Stupid 'happily ever after' ending (though I also saw the alternative ending and thought that was better).

How the fuck did The Painted Veil get such mediocre reviews? Understand it's no English Patient but come on...

Bridesmaids - The Hangover its not, but does a good job in trying. Probably better if you are a lass. 7/10

Being Erica series one - no interruptions, no ad breaks, no being too bone weary, or stressed to take it in. For once. :)

Beautiful Lies

I didn't get why the mother pretends she didn't know and seduces the poor guy when she knows he fancies her daughter.

Fellini's Prova d' orchestra. Apart from the dubbing - why he recorded it silently I'll never know - which was a bit distracting it was truly brilliant. It made me think of all the bollox spouted out in the Urban riot political threads. Fellini was able to convey more meaning in a short film than all the half-cocked theories on this site and it was a damn sight more enjoyable!

"When order is unjust, disorder is the beginning of justice."

Romain Rolland in his Le Quatorze Juillet

I thought it was great all the way through, the fantasy sequences and the production involved in getting them into the film, and once there, to work, was brilliantly executed.

If you want a straight forward trapped movie without the fantasy stuff watch Buried. Which is also great.
I didnt mind all the fantasy stuff, just thought there was a bit too much of them, as if we couldn't just watch him. Probly being a bit over-critical, still a darned good film.

This weekend was finally watching Intacto which was very good, if utterly silly. And

The Secret in Their Eyes which has various things to commend it (not least that shot in the football stadium) but is only a 'better than average' thriller type thing. Certainly not as good as A Prophet or White Ribbon.

Archer+IMDB+cartoon+TV+show+stream.jpg

Been watching the rest of The Shadow Line this week - not all of it works but it keeps you guessing and some of the performances are top drawer. So bleak, though...

A Desi Arnez fronted Twilight Zone-esq late-50's US show which was included on the "Twilight Zone" DVD. It was written by Rod Serling and about time travel. Good performances and script though not as chilling as some episodes of TZ we've seen.

This was after "Cowboys & Aliens" at the pictures which was great!

True Blood marathon on HBO. I'd never really watched it before. This cute waitress wants to break up with her boyfriend. He gets all weepy, so she smashes his head against a counter top and gets all covered in blood. Then, she goes out to a half-ton truck where her new boyfriend is waiting. They have sex in the truck while she is biting him. I forgot to mention: she is a vampire.

True Blood marathon on HBO. I'd never really watched it before. This cute waitress wants to break up with her boyfriend. He gets all weepy, so she smashes his head against a counter top and gets all covered in blood. Then, she goes out to a half-ton truck where her new boyfriend is waiting. They have sex in the truck while she is biting him. I forgot to mention: she is a vampire.

Did you get the part where that was a dream sequence? Or did you literally just watch 3 minutes of the 'marathon'? :D

Watched Sucker Punch last night -

Annoyed to discover I watched the theatrical version rather than the Director's Cut, which apparently is a lot better, but still thought it was good balls-out (or not, I guess) nonsense.

Great visuals, hilariously cliched dialogue (which I think may have been the point) and Jena Malone was good (the best of the girls in the cast anyway).

Thought it was reasonably straightforward plot-wise, but having just looked at all the theories on IMDB, I may have to revisit it and watch the DC at some point.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame Great performance from Laughton as Quasimodo! Brought back memories of me youth when we used ta roam the streets doin impressions of him "Der bells Der bells. Esmerelda" Kids dont no there born nowadays!

Back
Top Bottom