Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

There was a lot about it in the press when it was first supposed to come out, but release got delayed I think because of yet another politically motivated mass shooting in the US. So you kind of know from the start that it’s libs vs rednecks

UFO (2018). I thought it was going to be your typical fantastical sci-fi film but it’s really about science and mathematics even though it does involve a UFO. One of those movies in which nothing much really happens yet is enjoyable and satisfying. Well written and decent cast. I liked it even though I know fuck all about maths.

looking forward to the new Andrew Kotting.

Came on today...I'd not realised it was a Mubi film and had planned to see it at the pictures. Not seen any of his others.

Watched Sisters last night. Brian De Palma borrowing everything from Hitchcock to make an enetertaining Psycho type film.

Need to start watching the Melville films.

The Captain, a staggeringly cheesy Chinese disaster movie based on the Sichuan Airlines
averted
disaster from 2018. The real case is fascinating enough for this to be gripping at times, but it heaps on the sentimentality and excess to Airplane! levels of absurdity. After 80 minutes the plot comes to a natural end and then for some reason the movie still carries on for another 30 minutes.

Came on today...I'd not realised it was a Mubi film and had planned to see it at the pictures. Not seen any of his others.

Watched Sisters last night. Brian De Palma borrowing everything from Hitchcock to make an enetertaining Psycho type film.

Need to start watching the Melville films.
Have you seen Melville before? If not I cannot recommend his stuff strongly enough. You've got two of his three masterpieces (Le Cercle Rouge and Army of Shadows) on there, sadly one of my absolute favourites Bob le Flambeur, with the gorgeous Isabella Corey, has already expired. BTW if you like Army of Shadows then I can recommend Army of Crime as a companion piece

Anyway despite being a big Julio Medem fan this was the first time I've seen Chaotic Ana, have to say its not a patch on his earlier work. The first third is pretty good, similar in both style and themes to other works, but the noble savage stuff is not just ludicrous but actually offensive and the banal anti-americanism is dreadful. If anyone is interested in Medem's work I'd advise them to swerve this one and instead go for The Red Squirrel, Vacas or Sex and Lucia

watched about half of devs, alex garland’s new series for FX, about fishy goings on at a tech firm developing quantum computing

pretty gripping and an excellent soundtrack of west coast 70s stuff and original score by geoff barrow of portishead

there’s a lot of suspension of disbelief required and some preposterously over-aestheticization of technology but i’m still finding it to be a good yarn

Bacarau (on MUBI - just £1 a month for 3 months right now). Thoroughly recommended - one of those films that it's best to know nothing of the plot going in - all I'll say is that it is a Brazilian political/satirical parable with faint sci fi and western overtones.

Have you seen Melville before? If not I cannot recommend his stuff strongly enough. You've got two of his three masterpieces (Le Cercle Rouge and Army of Shadows) on there, sadly one of my absolute favourites Bob le Flambeur, with the gorgeous Isabella Corey, has already expired. BTW if you like Army of Shadows then I can recommend Army of Crime as a companion piece

Not until this morning. Watched Le Doulos since it's only on until tomorrow. I'm not a huge fan of noir but it was ok. I thought I was getting what was going on there were a few dialogue heavy scenes where I got a bit lost.I suppose ultimately crime doesn't pay and everyone shits on each other in the end.

A Ghost Story. One of those allegedly thought-provoking, deeply meaningful films that makes me feel like an ejit because it was widely praised by critics and has massive ratings, and yet at the end of it I thought it as one of the biggest, most pointless steaming piles of fucking shite I have wasted two hours of my life on.

Last edited:
EDIT.... sorry got it confused with Warps Ghost stories.

Just finished watching Monty Pythons Flying Circus . Never ceases to amaze and inspire me . Noticed this time that Douglas Adams pops up a couple of times in the 4th season !

Last edited:
Vivarium (2019) - low fantasy,/horror about a young couple who are trapped with a small annoying child in a house that they don't seem able to leave. Not a great film but apt quarantine watching.
I don't have time to see many movies, but enjoyed VIVARIUM last night.
Any similar recommendations from people who've seen it?

UFO (2018). I thought it was going to be your typical fantastical sci-fi film but it’s really about science and mathematics even though it does involve a UFO. One of those movies in which nothing much really happens yet is enjoyable and satisfying. Well written and decent cast. I liked it even though I know fuck all about maths.

i liked it at first but the sexism started to get to me - the girlfriend had barely a line despite appearing in loads of scenes and was suspiciously glam for a maths student (admittedly, that’s me with the stereotypes) and was just used as a sounding board for him to show his workings

gillian anderson mumbled her way through it and had a bizarre syrup

i was underwhelmed by philip glass’s score

but otherwise more of this sort of thing!

EDIT.... sorry got it confused with Warps Ghost stories.

Just finished watching Monty Pythons Flying Circus . Never ceases to amaze and inspire me . Noticed this time that Douglas Adams pops up a couple of times in the 4th season !
Wasn't the 4th Series the final one ? I'll have to watch it to see if I can spot him :cool:

watched about half of devs, alex garland’s new series for FX, about fishy goings on at a tech firm developing quantum computing

pretty gripping and an excellent soundtrack of west coast 70s stuff and original score by geoff barrow of portishead

there’s a lot of suspension of disbelief required and some preposterously over-aestheticization of technology but i’m still finding it to be a good yarn

forgot to mention a huge plus: a scene soundtracked by patrick cowley’s menergy

Wasn't the 4th Series the final one ? I'll have to watch it to see if I can spot him :cool:

Yep. The Golden Age of Ballooning etc. TBH I saw his name on the credits and skipped back to find him . Always thought he had a bit of the python anarchic spirit in him .

Incidently I am currently watching Good Omens where he teams up with another absolute god ... Neil Gaimen (at least to write the book)... which on ep3, I am absolutely loving :thumbs:

suspiciously glam for a maths student

WELL. OK, that's a brutal hack of your post, but come the fuck on.

Apart from that, a decent wee flick. Strathairn and Anderson's fees probably made up much of the production costs, but none the worse for that. I'd kinda like to see a sequel, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

WELL. OK, that's a brutal hack of your post, but come the fuck on.

Apart from that, a decent wee flick. Strathairn and Anderson's fees probably made up much of the production costs, but none the worse for that. I'd kinda like to see a sequel, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

yeah I did acknowledge that - if she had been a proper character it wouldn't have been a problem

didn't help that the protagonist looked like zuckerberg either

Mrs Dalloway. Moving and adept 1997 adaptation of the Virginia Woolf novel. Not my usual thing but I really enjoyed it.

Man behind the sun... Occasionally I scroll through my watchlist and come across a film and wonder how it got there. Ive been known to binge shock films at times, Grotesque, a Serbian film etc etc and expect that's where my head was at when I added this.

It's the story of 731 squadron, a Japanese unit who conducted tests on their Chinese captives. The first torture scenes are shocking, far more so for knowing it's based on the truth... shortly after there was a scene where a cat was killed by rats. I lost interest soon after.

Wellington Paranormal

The NZ based follow on series to the What We Do In The Shadows film (they haven't had the series there yet, poor sods). One of the very best NZ comedy series I've ever seen. Not that it is much of a pool to choose from. Well worth it though.

Last edited:
Wellington Paranormal

The NZ based follow on series to the What We Do In The Shadows film (they haven't had the series their yer, poor sods). One of the very best NZ comedy series I've ever seen. Not that it is much of a pool to choose from. Well worth it though.
Cool, I read about this before it went into production, didn’t know it was already out.

Back
Top Bottom