Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

If you just pay for SD Netflix then yes. HD Netflix looks far better than any DVD but only slightly worse than Blu-Ray. 4K Netflix is also available which looks better than Blu-ray. Nearly all streaming services offer at least HD now.
Sorry, Reno :(

I know about that. jeff-leigh was speaking in general terms about the quality of torrents and streaming services, not about a limited period when Netflix is offering a reduced service due to the current crisis. Only Netflix and YouTube have agreed to this so far and it’s not clear whether they are going SD or just reducing slightly, other streaming services haven’t.

:edit: Netflix will reduce by 25% but will still be streaming in HD: Netflix Says It'll Still Stream HD & 4K - Dark Horizons

Last edited:
Just watched Uncut Gems. Thought it was really good which surprised me as i usually avoid Adam Sandler like the plague.
Agreed on bothe points. Saw this last night and was very very surprised . If Sandlers role had been played by Pacino it would be in the Oscar/Grammy category as it is I think he played the role superbly , the plot is spot on , casting and dialogue superb and the film has real pace to it as it leads to its climax. One of the best films of the year.

Agreed on bothe points. Saw this last night and was very very surprised . If Sandlers role had been played by Pacino it would be in the Oscar/Grammy category as it is I think he played the role superbly , the plot is spot on , casting and dialogue superb and the film has real pace to it as it leads to its climax. One of the best films of the year.

Have you seen Good Time? Same directors, equally as stressful to watch, great score. Also on Netflix I think.

Rewatched Some Like It Hot tonight - my wife's request, but I'd forgotten how good it was (although it does get a bit silly in the final 10 minutes, almost Scooby Doo levels of chasing-in-and-out-of-doors wackiness).

Might have a Billy Wilder themed week and rewatch The Apartment, Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard too. :cool:

I rewatched the 1954 A Star is Born after reading the book on its making and later restoration by Ronald Haver.

The film was heavily cut by the studio during its initial release because it was three hours long. Twenty minutes were found in the 80s and got reinserted and the rest was substituted with photos. Of the four film version this is by far the best one and it’s one of the greatest films of the 50s. Judy Garland and James Mason are simply incredible and heartbreaking, especially when considering that Garland‘s career trajectory was closer to that of Mason‘s fading star in the film. It was also one of the most expensive films made up to that point and it’s all up there on the screen.

The original 30s version with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March is good too, the 70s version with Barbara Streisand is a train wreck and the recent one with Lady Gaga is an improved version of the Streisand film (both being set in the music business rather than in Hollywood) though it loses its focus after the first half.

7904F24D-2B50-482E-9B92-D1F190BF497B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
I recently watched:

the 2020 reboot of The Invisible Man (great, one of the better horror films in recent years)
Swallow (overrated, plays like the idiot's version of Todd Haines' Safe)
Greta Gerwig's Little Women (very good, considering it's a story which never did much for me)
Birds of Prey (awful, like getting hit over the head with a mallet for two hours)

Last edited:
I also rewatched the 1979 mini-series of Stephen King's Salem's Lot. Still one of the better Stephen King adaptations and considering it was made for TV in the 70s, still quite scary. These glowy eyed vampires are creepy. Salem's Lot is one of King's best novels and I wished this would get another remake (there was a terrible one with Rob Lowe) , ideally as a longer, bigger budgeted TV series. At 3 hours the mini-series is both too long and not quite long enough. Tobe Hooper is great on the horror stuff, but not so great on the character work. David Soul is a dull lead, made up somewhat by a great cast of character actors. There are a lot of characters in this (already cut down from the book) and the series doesn't have time to serve them that well. So there is 2 1/2 hours of underdeveloped drama till it gets to the horror in the last 30 minutes. The book is a little like a small town soap opera, eventually town apart by its vampire threat, so it would work well as a longer series.

Salems-LotR-Ralphie-at-the-window-1-06-31.jpg

Last edited:
The Doll [Vaxdockan] (1962) from Swedish director Arne Mattsson, starring Per Oscarsson.
A lonely young man with mental health problems works as a night watchman at a department store, he falls in love with one of the clothes mannequins stored there and steals it pretending it was stolen in a burglary. When he gets it home to his flat in a block of flats he believes she has come to life but his neighbours start to become concerned over his increasingly odd behaviour.
A dark psychological drama with a good performance from Per Oscarsson playing the loner. Not sure if this partially inspired the 1987 film Mannequin.

Watched an early film by Micheal Haneke "The Castle". Taken from the Kafka novel.

Starightforward production with a lot of voice over. Some of which I didnt feel was necessary.

I took me time to get into it. I gradually got engrosed in it. Due to the fine acting by Ulrich Muhe as K and Susanne Lother as Frieda.

Both of whom were in Haneke later films.

The two young men who follow K around all the time reminded my of the two in Funny Games.

Thing about Kafka is that he had a sense of humour. He used to give readings of his work to friends. He found the situations he put his characters in funny.

So to my mind the combination of Kafka and Haneke works well. I have found some of Haneke work so moralistic that its offputting. Haneke version of the Castle has some absurd humour that makes watching this a different experience to his later films.

I feel like watching one of his later films to see if Kafka is an influence.

Kafka wrote his work before WW2 and the Fascism that took over Europe. For Haneke this is his history. Its almost like Kafka work the Castle is from a more innocent time. In the Castle there is no violence or violence in the background. As K is told at one point no one is making him stay. He could leave..

Michael Haneke - IMDb

Just looked Haneke up and he made this as a TV movie in 1997. He made Funny Games same year.

Last edited:
Wild Goose Lake - on Mubi. Surprisingly poor quality, had some trouble getting it to start, maybe they've done something whiel the demands are greater. Anyway it's a Chinese film about a gangster tryign to evade the police and a rival gang with the help of a prositute. It's a good story and engaging enough although there's some bad acting at times.

Lourdes - Also on Mubi the day before although didn't suffer from quality issues, maybe because I watched it int he daytime. It's about a young woman in a wheelchair who goes to Lourdes with other pilgrims. I really liked it, there's a lot to be made of the different characters and how they relate to one another and not a loads of exposition so plenty to think about.

Wild Goose Lake - on Mubi. Surprisingly poor quality, had some trouble getting it to start, maybe they've done something whiel the demands are greater. Anyway it's a Chinese film about a gangster tryign to evade the police and a rival gang with the help of a prositute. It's a good story and engaging enough although there's some bad acting at times.

Lourdes - Also on Mubi the day before although didn't suffer from quality issues, maybe because I watched it int he daytime. It's about a young woman in a wheelchair who goes to Lourdes with other pilgrims. I really liked it, there's a lot to be made of the different characters and how they relate to one another and not a loads of exposition so plenty to think about.

Just looked at Mubi and a £1 for three months offer and one can cancel at any time. Might check that out.

MUBI: Watch and Discover Movies

I have been using the BBC and C4 Iplayers. They have free film section. Some good films on it.

Im a Curzon cinema member and as part of that get 12 free films a month free on their streaming service. Curzon cinemas have distribution arm Artificial Eye.

I think its possible to download and then watch films. I have not tried that yet. It might overcome the broadband streaming problem. Ive had the same.

Lourdes is a good film. Saw it in the cinema when it came out.

Just looked at Mubi and a £1 for three months offer and one can cancel at any time. Might check that out.

MUBI: Watch and Discover Movies

Fully recommend Mubi. Mostly arthouse films but with only 30 to choose from it's not the overload you get with some streaming services and often I'll take a punt on the film that's goign off the following day. The Chan-wook Park venegeance trilogy is on just now and they often have focus on particular directors, debuts etc...lots of Jean Pierre Melville currently.

We've got it for 3 years for free as my son's a film studies student but full paid members can also get Mubi Go....when the cinemas are open again you can get 1 free ticket a week for a film chosen by Mubi. If you can make use of that it's incredible value.

After The Storm by the director of Shoplifters. I haven't see Shoplifters yet. This is the first film Ive seen of by this director.

On the basis of this film I want to see more of his work.

This isn't a flashy film or full of action. Its gentle film that treats all the characters with respect.

By that I mean its not just the main character- a divorced man- that the action revolves around. All the main characters have their place in this story. One gets to know all them gradually. The son, ex wife and mother as well as Abe.

Its not that much is resolved by end of the film. Its that one is taken on a journey to get to know these people.

Its still on BBC IPlayer until Tuesday.

After The Storm by the director of Shoplifters. I haven't see Shoplifters yet. This is the first film Ive seen of by this director.

On the basis of this film I want to see more of his work.

This isn't a flashy film or full of action. Its gentle film that treats all the characters with respect.

By that I mean its not just the main character- a divorced man- that the action revolves around. All the main characters have their place in this story. One gets to know all them gradually. The son, ex wife and mother as well as Abe.

Its not that much is resolved by end of the film. Its that one is taken on a journey to get to know these people.

Its still on BBC IPlayer until Tuesday.
I’ve been on a Hirokazu Kore-eda exploration since I‘ve watched Shoplifters. Amazing filmmaker, definitely check out Shoplifters, Nobody Knows and Afterlife, but everything by him is worth watching. I’ve watched After the Storm a couple of weeks ago and also really liked that.

Last edited:
eXistenZ. David Cronenburg does virtual reality. Saw this when it came out (20 years ago -- gulp!). Not sure it's held up very well -- I mean it's okay, just sure I liked it a lot more then than I did just now.

Bombshell

I’ve been on a Hirokazu Kore-eda exploration since I‘ve watched Shoplifters. Amazing filmmaker, definitely check out Shoplifters, Nobody Knows and Afterlife, but everything by him is worth watching. I’ve watched After the Storm a couple of weeks ago and also really liked that.

Just watched and I really enjoyed this.

ETA messed up the quote - this is in ref to after the storm.

Just watched and I really enjoyed this.

ETA messed up the quote - this is in ref to after the storm.
I was going to write something about Bombshell a few hours before and then couldn’t be bothered. I always forget that the drafts are still there.

Back
Top Bottom