Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Sweet Smell of Success, starring Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. Very enjoyable albeit bleak.

Come back here, I want to chastise you!
It killed the director's career but it's a fantastic fillum with line after line of crackling dialogue.

"Match me Sidney"

The Australian Dream - documentary about aussie rules football player Adam Goodes. He has a kid thrown out of a game after she racially abuses him and become the target for an internet hate campaign. When he's made Australian of the year he uses the opportunity to talk about racism in the country and it gets worse.

It's not the best put together film, jumps about a bit talking about his past and his mum's history etc but shows Australia for the backwards country it is in it's treatment of indiginous people.

The Long Goodbye, an incredible short film starring and co-created (with Aneil Karia, who directs). It's on YouTube and I urge people to watch it - it's only 12 minutes long. Don't want to give anything away, but it is an upsetting watch, so take care.

Frozen II. It’s not the worst animated film I ever saw and there are nice individual sequences but what a staggeringly shit sequel. Where was the plot ? The concepts are weirdly abstract, all rooted in magic rather than in character and totally unrelatable. The relationship between the two sisters was at the heart of the original film and that’s what worked about it.

The Long Goodbye, an incredible short film starring and co-created (with Aneil Karia, who directs). It's on YouTube and I urge people to watch it - it's only 12 minutes long. Don't want to give anything away, but it is an upsetting watch, so take care.

His City of Tiny Lights is worth a watch as well.

The Walking Dead episodes 9,10 and 11of the 10th season. This has really improved since they got rid of Rick tbh
I watched the first half of this season and barely made it through it. That’s it for me. I didn’t think Rick was much worse than most of the characters.The newer characters are so non-descript, I can’t even remember who most of them are from episode to episode. They killed off too many of the original cast for me to care and the show is as repetitive as ever. I think The Walking Dead peaked around season 4 & 5 and it’s been getting worse ever since. Now it’s hit rock bottom.

When the Wind Blows. I'd never seen this though it's been sat on the memory stick in the telly for a while and seemed kind of timely.

Animation of the Raymond Briggs story of a retired couple in the days following a nuclear strike on the UK. Like a cartoon Threads. Excellent stuff.

This thread may start getting more popular again soon....anyway

In Fabric - again. Still bloody great. By watching the DVD extras I made the shocking discovery that Stash and Clive weren't actually a couple.

Asylum (1972)- yet again. No one did those portmanteau movies like Amicus.

Ad Astra. Brad Pitt works out his daddy issues in space. Beautiful to look at, narratively dreadful.
I remember thinking 'its kicking off now boys!' when there was the confrontation with the ape. But it did not kick off. In the end the only cool idea that stuck with me was about not being allowed to travel unless you are fully zen chilled. A minor plot point.

I'm half way through Farming but finding it a bit depressing. The racism is just too grim and relentless.
I'll give it another ten minutes then might abandon it.

On a side note, why can posh actors very rarely get a working class accent right?

I watched the HBO horror series The Outsider over the last few evenings and thought this was by far the best of recent Stephen King adaptations. What worked for me was how much more it rooted the supernatural in a realistic context than other recent King adaptations, or at least in a more grounded noir/crime context. It starts as a moody murder mystery with a great hook and the horror elements slowly seep in. Unlike with the more fantastical worlds of Dr. Sleep or It, where it feels like anything can happen, when an investigating character presents their theory that the perpetrator may not be quite human, the outrage and disbelief of the other characters makes sense. The supernatural feels invasive and shocking here.

Great cast, nobody looks glamorous, all great character actors who look like real people. I felt invested in the characters and I was sad when
Andy gets killed. A supporting character but his sheer decency comes through.

Last edited:
I watched the HBO horror series The Outsider over the last few evenings and thought this was by far the best of recent Stephen King adaptations. What worked for me was how much more it rooted the supernatural in a realistic context than other recent King adaptations, or at least in a more grounded noir/crime context. It starts as a moody murder mystery with a great hook and the horror elements slowly seep in. Unlike with the more fantastical worlds of Dr. Sleep or It, where it feels like anything can happen, when an investigating character presents their theory that the perpetrator may not be quite human, the outrage and disbelief of the other characters makes sense. The supernatural feels invasive and shocking here.

Great cast, nobody looks glamorous, all great character actors who look like real people. I felt invested in the characters and I was sad when
Andy gets killed. A supporting character but his sheer decency comes through.

What was always hard to translate from the books to film was the internal character progression (usually to acceptance of the horror involved). This series managed it really well, carried by Ben Mendelson.

However I'm still convinced that that was Paddy Considine and not Sam Rockwell.

Wouldn't that observation have worked better with the two names reversed ? Now you are convinced that something is as it is. ;)
There may have been some confusion. I swear to god that an announcer said Rockwell. I'm glad that I was right, even though I was wrong that there was a wrong. One right, two wrongs...that's a right, right?

Does anyone actually still watch DVD's and the old VHS videos ? Whenever I contribute to this thread I usually mean either Iplayer or a downloaded torrent

downloaded torrrents (unless you go for the massive file versions). And better than streaming now resolutions are being downgraded.
HD torrents aren’t what’s considered massive in this day and age and I watched Netflix last night which still looks way better than any DVD. VHS looked crap even back in the day.

I would’ve thought a torrent of around 4g would be dvd quality
You can get good looking HD torrents that size. Watched a 1080p torrent of The Invisible Man last night which went to streaming early due to the current crisis. It was just under 4GB and it looked ace on my projector. I usually go for something larger if available but it looked far better than any DVD.

HD torrents aren’t what’s considered massive in this day and age and I watched Netflix last night which still looks way better than any DVD. VHS looked crap even back in the day.
I'll give you VHS, but wouldn't agree about Netflix, definitely looks worse than blu-rats and even most DVD's. Some old ones are crap transfers, but not in the main.

I'll give you VHS, but wouldn't agree about Netflix, definitely looks worse than blu-rats and even most DVD's. Some old ones are crap transfers, but not in the main.
If you just pay for SD Netflix then yes. HD Netflix looks far better than any DVD but only slightly worse than Blu-Ray. 4K Netflix is also available which looks better than Blu-ray. Nearly all streaming services offer at least HD now.

Superman: Red Son
Very silly, but enjoyable. What if Kal-El landed not in the American Midwest, but in the Ukrainian Steppe?

Back
Top Bottom