Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

watched bride of frankenstein again to purge myself of that dross. it's a wonderful film.
now state of play has arrived at my door - looks like another russell crowe dirge though. :(

Skeletons.

Very very funny Britpic about exorcists removing the skeletons from peoples' cupboards.

I thought this was excellent, really happy to see new film makers doing something different. You were probably already primed for it as it won the poweell and pressburger in Edinburgh.

Iron Man 2 - entertaining
Predators - not bad at all, entertaining, you know what you're getting

And Soon The Darkness (1970) - pretty decent Brit horror/suspense flick about 2 girls on a cycling holiday in France when one of them disappears (Michele Dotrice). There is currently a remake out about which changes it it 2 yank girls in Argentina, I doubt I will bother with it.

Animal Kingdom - Australian gangster film that came out earlier this year by director David Michod. It's about a teenager who has to go live with his vicious bank robber uncles after his mum dies and ends up getting involved in a revenge killing. Well acted, with Jackie Weaver as family Matriarch being particularly good, kind of like an evil Peggy Mitchell. Well worth a watch.

I thought this was excellent, really happy to see new film makers doing something different. You were probably already primed for it as it won the poweell and pressburger in Edinburgh.

that gave me a bit of a heads up, aye.

Since watched... The Beiderbecke Affair. Still great, lovely mid-80's Leeds, and Barbara Flynn looking most charming.

Shutter Island - entertaining nonsense. Worth watching a few scenes again straight after to see how it does work.

The Lost Room - one season sci-fi drama lent to me by a work colleague. Clever and good.

Onto season 2 of Breaking Bad now.

Saw that at the cinema a few years ago. Marvellous stuff indeed.

Watched A Prophet last night. Fairly grim but well told & acted.

Winged Migration is lovely isn't it? Best 'birds and chicks' film I have ever seen. Want more stuff like this :)

A Complete History Of My Sexual Failures - Likeable loser Chris Waitt sets out to document why his relationships with women have always been total disasters. It starts out as a knockabout bit of fun before turning darker when we discover he suffers from erectile dysfunction and may have mental health issues. Some of the scenes and scrapes he gets into are somewhat contrived and he's clearly an odd bloke. But overall it works and you end up caring about him, whilst sympathising with the women who have had to deal with his bullshit over the years.

we saw this at the pictures - i think the whole thing is a setup - everyone is acting (its meant to be a life diary/documentary type thing). which doesnt take away from it - if anything makes it more interesting.

The Crazies – I was never crazy (ho ho) about Romero's original and this remake is no great shakes either. Fairly pedestrian horror/action flick with a couple of vaguely thrilling/chilling moments. Still, it was only a fiver from Asda...

Just finished all five of the Anthony Mann/James Stewart westerns: Winchester' 73, Bend of the River, The Naked Spur, The Far Country and The Man from Laramie. The third is probably my favourite but all are good.

Then watched Mann's last film "A Dandy in Aspic" very strange 60s spy thriller starring Laurence Harvey (who finished off the direction after Mann died). The plot doesn't really hold together, though I don't think it's supposed to, but it's definitely got something about it.

Also watched "I Wanted Wings" starring the brilliant and utterly gorgeous Veronica Lake and while she isn't in it enough it's still pretty good.

Finally watched the fantastic and bleak Night Moves, which is just absolutely superb. Can't believe I had never heard of it until Penn died.

Stewart Lee - Stand Up Comedian

Not watched this for a year or two but still makes me laugh very loudly in certain places :)

Nope. Its the one that ends with the life sized inflatable ET/princess diana fountain rant :D

Nope. Its the one that ends with the life sized inflatable ET/princess diana fountain rant :D

I thought they were one and the same. :confused: Scottish audience, big bloke in the front row.

Robert the Bruce, the Scottish paedophile...... the worst kind of paedophile there is. The Princess Di Alf cuddly toy bit is at the end where he's lieing down on the stage doing the repetitive schtick. I've not seen it on Dvd mind, I recorded it off telly so could be slightly different.

I thought they were one and the same. :confused: Scottish audience, big bloke in the front row.

Robert the Bruce, the Scottish paedophile...... the worst kind of paedophile there is. The Princess Di Alf cuddly toy bit is at the end where he's lieing down on the stage doing the repetitive schtick. I've not seen it on Dvd mind, I recorded it off telly so could be slightly different.

Yup. William Wallace/Braveheart though...

four lions - disappointing: neither very funny nor sharp nor anything else it was supposed to be. the best bits were in the trailer.
sick nurses - terrible thai horror b movie that's a hospital-based riff on japanese grudge movies.
looks like it was made by in the same hospital as garth marenghi, and with the same crew.
and the avenging ghost looks like a mighty boosh character.

Oh Rosalinda!

Powell & Pressburger film of Strauss' Die Fledermaus, updated to post-war occupied Vienna. The updating works, but not too much else. Nice colour palate tho.

Later tonight I will, hopefully, be experiencing that rarest of treats - a Michael Powell film I've never seen before! Shame it's a shit un, but still...

on telly Ocean's 13 - will all the big names in that film I would have though it would have been better

Back
Top Bottom