Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Tried to watch a several Gregg Araki films but couldnt, tried to watch Totally Fucked Up and Nowhere but just didnt like them. Instead i watched The Machinist which was pretty good, nice twist.

A Guillermo Del Toro double bill - both gems.

The Devil's Backbone - an unsettling, sumptuous-looking ghost story set during the Spanish Civil War. The ghostly elements are part of a much bigger story - involving dysfunctional affairs, hidden gold and the horrors of the war itself. In fact, you could probably take the ghosty bits out altogether and still have a cracking historical thriller.

Cronos - eccentric, beautifully played and darkly funny vampire film with a genuinely sympathetic lead. The young girl in it is excellent too, despite only having a word or two of dialogue.

The Exorcist. This is the third or fourth time I've watched the film and I've always had very mixed feelings about it. It's an extremely well made film and I admire all the virtues of 70s Hollywood filmmaking, which was so influenced by European arthouse cinema, but the content is a spook-show for Catholics and as such I never found it very scary. What exactly does the devil prove by having some potty mouthed Assyrian pixy pick on a little girl ?

Cameraman: The Life & Work of Jack Cardiff - great stuff, some realy good talking head bits, and marvellous clips. And one from Rambo II

Double Take - odd, Hitchcockian thing based on a Borges story. Sort of. Interesting. Maybe toss as well.

Splice - Better than average unknown baby monster thing growing into an adult quickly movie. Not great though.

Dr Who the sontaran experiment. - Crap but thankfully short. Passes the time.

A Guillermo Del Toro double bill - both gems.

The Devil's Backbone - an unsettling, sumptuous-looking ghost story set during the Spanish Civil War. The ghostly elements are part of a much bigger story - involving dysfunctional affairs, hidden gold and the horrors of the war itself. In fact, you could probably take the ghosty bits out altogether and still have a cracking historical thriller.

Cronos - eccentric, beautifully played and darkly funny vampire film with a genuinely sympathetic lead. The young girl in it is excellent too, despite only having a word or two of dialogue.

I never got the whole way though Cronos. Boring. I'm told Devils Backbone is ace and one of del toros favorites but have been so put off by cronos. I still bear the mental scars of watching mimic to the end as well.

I watched half of Star Runners which isn't as bad as it sounds but is deffo made for TV and is more like an extended episode or pilot. Quite good.

Watched 1-3 of Carnivale season 2. Very strange goings on.

I never got the whole way though Cronos. Boring. I'm told Devils Backbone is ace and one of del toros favorites but have been so put off by cronos. I still bear the mental scars of watching mimic to the end as well.

I also don't get Cronos and find it rather boring, but The Devil's Backbone is one of the best horror films of the last decade or two and it's a very different film. I also prefer it to the similar Pan's Labyrinth.

Mind, I quite like Mimic despite Del Toro having virtually disowned it due to studio interference. The last third is rather generic, but the giant roaches are pretty cool, the idea for the monsters is solid and it's full of these gothic, catholic flourishes which give it a unique atmosphere.

Mind, I quite like Mimic despite Del Toro having virtually disowned it due to studio interference. The last third is rather generic, but the giant roaches are pretty cool, the idea for the monsters is solid and it's full of these gothic, catholic flourishes which give it a unique atmosphere.

It's a running joke between me and my wife, I don't remember much about it now apart from a lot of face slapping.

I guess I should dust off my devils backbone DVD. Pans was ok.

Not quite in the theme of the thread but we went to the Prince Charles Cinema to see Nosferatu with live music.
It was amazing!!!!
The music was like a cross between Godspeed, Shellac and something else!!!
Totally blown away :cool:

I mean we were slapping our own faces, or foreheads more like, you know, in disbelief.

Uh, ok. I thought you put in a Benny Hill video by mistake.

Most monster movies need a degreee of suspension of disbelief. This didn't strike me as much more stupid than most and the whole "mimic" idea struck me as rather smart.

i saw frost/nixon the other night. wasn't that interested in seeing it, but it gripped me - frank langella was particularly good, though i'm not sure what i think of michael sheen, though it was fun watching him. it was a lot funnier than i expected - i suppose i assumed it would be a sombre piece cos it started off as a play.

Uh, ok. I thought you put in a Benny Hill video by mistake.

Most monster movies need a degreee of suspension of disbelief. This didn't strike me as much more stupid than most and the whole "mimic" idea struck me as rather smart.

I don't know quite what it was (because I can't remember) but it's one of two films that has stayed with me in a kind of mesmerizingly shit way. The other is 'what a girl wants'.

You hate most films. :p

I actually love films in general, even the shamelessly trashy ones and maybe just get a bit pissed off that the majority follow a very boring hollywood 'get the girl, kill the baddies' or some other such tripe storyline.

I gave Pan's Labyrinth a second look and I'm still not clear why everybody went gaga over it. Characters are strictly divided into good and bad and unlike with the villain in Del Toro's superior companion piece The Devil's Backbone, the bad guy is a total monster from the start. I find some of the creatures a bit twee in a French mime sort of way and I still feel let down by the "it was all just a dream/fantasy" ending.

Just watched Whale Rider on the iPlayer which was good. Not the most cheerful and possibly a little twee but enjoyed it :)

I also watched Wreckage and Rage, the documentary on the Alien Anthology Blu-ray set about the very troubled production of Alien3. It was previously only available in a heavily censored version on the Quadrilogy release. Quite interesting and the participants are quite frank about what went wrong and who they didn't like, which is unusual for a DVD extra.

I also watched Wreckage and Rage, the documentary on the Alien Anthology Blu-ray set about the very troubled production of Alien3. It was previously only available in a heavily censored version on the Quadrilogy release. Quite interesting and the participants are quite frank about what went wrong and who they didn't like, which is unusual for a DVD extra.

I'd love to see more of that kind of thing rather than the press junket type stuff that is boring as hell. Eveyone is all smiles on the I heart Huckabees doc.

Back
Top Bottom