Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

No it was the Jason Statham version (mind you - a true pedant would know that the original was "Deathrace 2000" ;)) that had none of the humour of its predecessor. The few clumsy "Shawshank" type scenes that they inserted to try and give it depth fell flat and other scenes made absolutely no sense at all. Mind you - his co-pilot was pretty foxy - but not foxy enough to stop it being dreadful. :(

I'll outpedant you by pointing out that in both cases Death Race (2000 or not) is two words. :D

I only watched half an hour of the remake and gave up when I realised that they are not going to score points by running down nuns and children. :mad:

Bad Lieutenant - Hadn't seen it for years, Harvey Keitel on top form.
I watched this yesteday in fact. One or two good scenes, good character acting, but it dropped the ball in the final third.

ETA. Watched Midnight Cowboy tonight and was impressed. Quite an experimental piece when all said.

Yesterday...

An American Crime. Watched this after seeing comments on IMDB when I'd seen The Woman. It's about a woman in 60's Indiana who took in two kids to live with her own then went on to abuse them, keeping one in the basement. As shocking as it sounds but not a great film.

The Chaser. Korean film about ex-cop turned pimp who goes looking for one of his girls who's disappeared. Another I found through IMDB comments after I'd watched I Saw the Devil. It's a better film that takes it's time building up to lots of violence. I'd recommend it if you like that kind of stuff.

Today I started watching Oz. First 3 episodes so far, love it.

An American Crime. Watched this after seeing comments on IMDB when I'd seen The Woman. It's about a woman in 60's Indiana who took in two kids to live with her own then went on to abuse them, keeping one in the basement. As shocking as it sounds but not a great film..

Awful film with a fatally miscast Catherine Keener. Reading up on the real case this was based on is a lot more interesting than this futile attempt at indie movie outrage.

Starship Troopers 3.

Law of diminishing returns well and truly confirmed.

At the end, this marauder squad in terminator armour steam in.

Proper shit

Puzzle of a Downfall Child. As the worlds biggest Faye Dunaway fan I always wanted to see this obscure 70s curio which got much publicised re-release at this years Cannes Film Festival, but it was really rather dull.

'The Unbelievable Truth' I loved Hal Hartley as a teen so I was a little wary of watching this twenty years later in case I was disappointed, but it stands up well, I really enjoyed it.

Starship Troopers 3.

Law of diminishing returns well and truly confirmed.

At the end, this marauder squad in terminator armour steam in.

Proper shit

Better than Starship Troopers 2, I assure you. Starship Troopers 3? Half of it is OK with some promise - the desert scenes are something I've not seen in a lot of sci-fi movies, decent level of satire - but at the same time, that religious claptrap is deeply inconsistent, confusing, and terrible. The terminator armour thing comes from the original Heinlein book, which was absent from the other two Starship Troopers movies.

FYI, I've a secret love of the straight to DVD Death Race 2. Far Far better than the Stath one.

I'm watching Sharktopus, for god's sake.

Rewatched a couple of great old Brit gangster/heist films on the ITVNow YouTube channel.
Villain (1971) - Richard Burton as leader (obviously modelled on Ronnie Kray) of a gang of London baddies, also has Ian McShane & Nigel Davenport.

Robbery (1967) based on The Great Train Robbery

Rewatched a couple of great old Brit gangster/heist films on the ITVNow YouTube channel.
Villain (1971) - Richard Burton as leader (obviously modelled on Ronnie Kray) of a gang of London baddies, also has Ian McShane & Nigel Davenport.

This was actually pretty damn good. Thank you Mr. Squelch.

I fell asleep trying to watch Real Steel. This got some surprisingly good reviews and I was hoping for another "I thought this would be shit, bit it's not" discovery along the lines of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It was not to be. It's formulaic, noisy, predictable rubbish with an annoying kid who I hoped would get stomped to a pulp by robots and why would anybody cast trout pout Evangeline Lilly with her Beverly Hills high maintenance looks as a tomboy mechanic ? Was Ellen Page not available ?

The President's Analyst.

James Coburn is recruited to psychoanalyse the POTUS. He gets more than he bargained for.

Good - 8 out of 10? - and I certainly laughed out loud more than once.

We need to talk about Kevin. Very dark. Extremely well-acted but I don't know, didn't like it I don't think.

over the weekend have watched Winter's Bone, several episodes of the Finder and Tales of the City. i can recommend them all.

The President's Analyst.

James Coburn is recruited to psychoanalyse the POTUS. He gets more than he bargained for.

Good - 8 out of 10? - and I certainly laughed out loud more than once.

excellent choice! may i recommend "The Reivers" and Easy A for a grin.

Last week, completed A Game of Thrones Season 1. Superb series. Best tv series I've seen in years. Cant wait for season 2.

Over weekend finished The Walking Dead Season 1 and 2.

Downloaded Season 1 of Breaking Bad, but having skimmed through the first episode, looks boring......

Cell 211, very good recent Spanish thriller about a young prison guard about to start his new job. He gets knocked out and abandoned by his superiors when a prison riot breaks out and has to pretend to be a prisoner to stay alive. Had a friend round and we also watched Kill List, which I'd already seen and which I like and my favourite by Cronenberg, The Brood. It's a far better film about psychoanalysis than A Dangerous Method.

Downloaded Season 1 of Breaking Bad, but having skimmed through the first episode, looks boring......

Give it time, it's among the best and the most gripping drama series of recent years and deserves all the acclaim it's getting. It plays out like one long feature film, so the early episodes set up characters and premise before it kicks into high gear.

Let the right one in- original.

OK, well pretty good actually. Shame the silly vamp folklore played a 'real' part in the story, would have been better without.

Back
Top Bottom