Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

Just watched the original Scum TV play. I'd always thought the reason it was never on was because it was more shocking but it's just not as good. Funny seeing Frank Gallagher as Archer though.

John Flynn's Rolling Thunder (1977) about a Vietnam veteran tracking down a bunch of robbers who killed his wife & kid. It has Tommy Lee Jones as his army buddy and the bloke who played Rosco in the Dukes Of Hazard series as a baddie, then there's a very Peckinpah style ending with a big shootout in a brothel. Very enjoyable.

Tootsie. Hadn't watched this in a long time and it's easy to take this one for granted, lump it in with inferior high concept comedies of the 80s and forget what a good film this really is. Tootsie is a great film about actors and acting and it's impressive how smartly it navigates potentially dodgy gender and sexual politics, especially for a Hollywood film from that decade. All the characters are so well written and acted, they really seem to have lives of their own. Dustin Hoffman was at the top of his game, Jessica Lange became a star here, Teri Garr is always great and there were early roles for Geena Davis and Bill Murray.

Troll Hunter. I'm rather bored of 'found footage' stuff by now, but it was well done in this, didnt labour the conceit. Many more laughs than we expected. Top stuff.

And started on season 4 of Breaking Bad. Oooh, it's flying already! What show

Drive. Quite enjoyed this, liked the soundtrack / atmosphere. The man-with-no-name lead bloke was a good character if not that good an actor. Had a few other bits I didn't like so much. Although I didn't really rate Bronson much I wouldn't mind seeing more from this director. I get the feeling he's got one really good film in him.

Warrior. Excellent.

The cover says it's all the Rocky movies in one, it's slightly better than that (because 1 and 3 were great). The acting certainly is much, much better.

Life Without Principle - the new Johnny To, and odd as it may seem it's a sot of anti-capitalist film. Based on the intersection of a few stories around the effects of the Greek crisis on various people in Hong Kong - it makes the usual points about how legit capital and criminals mirror each other in motivations and actions and how this effects the rest of us, nothing new, but done in To's style it really comes to life - don't go in expecting one of his HK milkway gangster films - at least not on the surface. It does have the usual intricately plotted style of those films though. Totally unexpected film (for me anyway).

I'm not a huge fan of either film. Much is made of the McDonaghs' wordplay and humour, but I thought both films fell a bit flat.

The Secret In Their Eyes - very compelling Argentinian thriller. Consistently surprising plot, great performances and amazing photography esp one particular scene of a chase in a football stadium that looks like one shot but can't possiby be.

i loved that film. that shot is the same sort used on children of men isn't it? but on a grander scale.

The last 3 episodes of Battlestar Galactica ("Daybreak")

Um....not really sure where to start, will spoiler tag -

Good

A proper battle, feels like ages since the last one
Boomer paying back the old man, then Athena blowing her away
The opera dream tying in pretty well to the scenes of Hera running through the ship
Anders finding perfection (although they did shoe-horn in the set-up in a flashback)
President Prickly Lawyer dude :D
Baltar's final line - "I know something about farming", perfectly acted and made me forget how much of a cunt he really is (for a few seconds at least).
Cavill choosing to blow his head off vs live with the humans :D
Roslin actually dying (thought they'd go the happy ending route for second)

Bad

Everybody going along with Lee's idea to live like cavemen, I can imagine some going for it, but not the whole fleet (or did Adama just overrule the objections and sent all the ships into the sun regardless?)
Being hit over the head by biblical allegory, then having Baltar and Starbuck spell it out for anyone who's not been paying attention for 4-5 years :mad:
Head Baltar / Head Six in modern day Manhatten, are they just meant to be God/s?
A general feeling of rushed endings and unexplored plotlines :(

Overall a great series, but with a bit of a dip at the end.

The last 3 episodes of Battlestar Galactica ("Daybreak")

Um....not really sure where to start, will spoiler tag -

Good

A proper battle, feels like ages since the last one
Boomer paying back the old man, then Athena blowing her away
The opera dream tying in pretty well to the scenes of Hera running through the ship
Anders finding perfection (although they did shoe-horn in the set-up in a flashback)
President Prickly Lawyer dude :D
Baltar's final line - "I know something about farming", perfectly acted and made me forget how much of a cunt he really is (for a few seconds at least).
Cavill choosing to blow his head off vs live with the humans :D
Roslin actually dying (thought they'd go the happy ending route for second)

Bad

Everybody going along with Lee's idea to live like cavemen, I can imagine some going for it, but not the whole fleet (or did Adama just overrule the objections and sent all the ships into the sun regardless?)
Being hit over the head by biblical allegory, then having Baltar and Starbuck spell it out for anyone who's not been paying attention for 4-5 years :mad:
Head Baltar / Head Six in modern day Manhatten, are they just meant to be God/s?
A general feeling of rushed endings and unexplored plotlines :(

Overall a great series, but with a bit of a dip at the end.
Don't get me started.

BSG was awesome, then it turns out they were making it up as they went along and didn't have a fucking clue.
". . . and they have a plan" Ooh, that kept me watching, what's the plan, what's the plan.

The plan is to kill all humans.
All those cool episodes where Baltar was trying to figure what his head six was . . well even the writers didn't know. The end devalues everything good that happened in the series, and we have yet another 'magic' programme.

'A Guide to Recognising Your Saints' Not bad, a fairly cliched coming of age drama saved by some cracking performances from the younger actors.

Don't get me started.

BSG was awesome, then it turns out they were making it up as they went along and didn't have a fucking clue.
". . . and they have a plan" Ooh, that kept me watching, what's the plan, what's the plan.

The plan is to kill all humans.
All those cool episodes where Baltar was trying to figure what his head six was . . well even the writers didn't know. The end devalues everything good that happened in the series, and we have yet another 'magic' programme.

Just as well I jumped ship half way through season 3 then.

Just as well I jumped ship half way through season 3 then.

Nah, was definitely worth sticking with to the end, S4 was a vast improvement and is fucking dark in places :cool:

Also, I've only just realised that the guy who played Hot Dog is Olmos' real life son!

Nah, was definitely worth sticking with to the end, S4 was a vast improvement and is fucking dark in places :cool:

Also, I've only just realised that the guy who played Hot Dog is Olmos' real life son!

It did indeed pick up in S4 but it's because it had so much promise that I feel so let down. Just another 'make it up as we go along' show. What happened to telling a well crafted story?

As we've discussed before... that's not really how multi-season television generally works. Beyond having a vague idea how it'll finish (and BSG did finish vaguely in the way it was always going to), it's all up for grabs. And that makes for interesting stories, better chances for character development, unexpected characters becoming more central, than an overly crafted plot will allow for.

There's probably another interesting thread in 'movies that are still great despite having shit endings,' or 'why the end never matters'

I though Battlestar Galactica was a good if flawed show for two seasons, hampered by poor filler episodes. The sleeper cylon thing was brilliant when Boomer was revealed to be one, but then they pulled that trick over and over again, with half of the cast revealed to be cylons and I lost interest.

Anyways, I watched Fish Story.
Probably thinks it's something profound (which it's not), but it was a great film. Four stories playing that interlock in a way that you don't get to see until the final minute of the film. Not as earth shattering a revelation as I had hoped but it didn't need to be as it just showed how life interconnects and sometimes big and important things hang on some some seemingly insignificant details.
The four stories themselves were all very entertaining, and it's not often I can sit though a two hour film without noticing the time go by.

As we've discussed before... that's not really how multi-season television generally works. Beyond having a vague idea how it'll finish (and BSG did finish vaguely in the way it was always going to), it's all up for grabs. And that makes for interesting stories, better chances for character development, unexpected characters becoming more central, than an overly crafted plot will allow for.

There's probably another interesting thread in 'movies that are still great despite having shit endings,' or 'why the end never matters'

Just look at the Lost thread for the exact same discussion / argument

Probably involving the exact same people to be fair :D

Watched Basil the Great Mouse Detective on VHS. This song is crying to be turned into some kind of anti-condems comedy song but I have neither the wit nor the skillz to do it myself :mad:

Just look at the Lost thread for the exact same discussion / argument

Probably involving the exact same people to be fair :D
Thankfully, I ditched Lost after season 1, so never saw any of that.

Just been watching:

The Ghost - a decent bog standard thriller.

Katalin Varga - bloody marvellous Romanian revenge drama. An arthouse thriller that is actually both arthouse and thriller. Cracking.

The Yes Men Fix the World, The same format as last time round, stunts are pulled against Dow Chemical and private companies profiteering off Katrina, usual swipes are taken against neo-liberal orthodoxy and they round it all off by producing an upbeat spoof activistoid New York Times to send us off in an optimistic cheer. I actually preferred this to their previous outing, but it still sags in places and I feel uncomfortable with certain scenes because I am not sure how their approach is supposed to complement their politics, or indeed how far they can stretch the gag. File under 'one trick pony'.

Back
Top Bottom