Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What DVD / Video did you watch last night? (pt3)

The Secret In Their Eyes - very compelling Argentinian thriller. Consistently surprising plot, great performances and amazing photography esp one particular scene of a chase in a football stadium that looks like one shot but can't possiby be.

one particular scene of a chase in a football stadium that looks like one shot but can't possiby be.
it isn't, play it back about twenty times and you can see all the joins. It is wonderfully done tho

It's a good film, with that one shot probably giving it a higher general rating than it would otherwise have got

Jack Brooks monster slayer Brilliant cheesey horror gore fest starrin Robert Englund. Great dr whoesque monsters especially the one at the end. Great stuff!!

As a lovely valentines treat, we watched:

30 Rock - got up to date, including this weeks Valentines episode, which was utterly magnificent, the opening sketch had us pissing ourselves. And Kristen Schaal as another obsessive character is great and getting better each ep. Great stuff.

Buffy - Season 6, episode 17. Recognised by all true connoisseurs as the very finest episode, Normal Again is the one where she's in an 'institution'and comes to realise what her demons actually are. Brilliant.

Watched 2 music documentaries on DVD over the past couple of nights:

1. "Upsetter" - this is about the life and times of Lee "Scratch" Perry. Some great footage, interesting anecdotes (inc from the man himself), and of course plenty of those tunes which brought Perry to the attention of the world. It does kinda glimpse over the post-Black Ark period, though there does seem to be an admission that Perry spent much of the 1980's a very unhappy man indeed....still, well worth checking out whether you're a Perry fan or kinda new to all this.

2. "Autoluminescent" - this one's about the late Rowland S Howard, and a very touching documentary it is indeed. Covering his musical career from the Obsessions, through to his membership of the Boys Next Door-then-Birthday Party, and covering his post Birthday Party work in depth, this is a great overview of a man who was both driven musically yet also deeply emotional and sensitive, and who in the end regretted his substance use/abuse issues. Containing some very moving moments, and packed with extras, this DVD is very much recommended by me.

I watched the pilot of Friday Night Lights which they've just started on Sky Atlantic. Enjoyed it despite my total lack of interest in sport. It's about a small town Texas football team and their families. Heard a lot about it as it's been one of the most highly acclaimed US drama series for the last few years. Very much feels like a 70s movie, it has authentic yet lyrical feel about it.

I watched the pilot of Friday Night Lights which they've just started on Sky Atlantic. Enjoyed it despite my total lack of interest in sport. It's about a small town Texas football team and their families. Heard a lot about it as it's been one of the most highly acclaimed US drama series for the last few years. Very much feels like a 70s movie, it has authentic yet lyrical feel about it.

Luck looks quite interesting. I just finished season 4 of Breaking Bad the other night, what a show that is. Also got around to starting on season 2 of Walking Dead. I'm still ambivalent about this - the comics were great (up til about no 75 at least), and this show somehow fails to capture the tone or feel of the comic.

The Woman - a horror film that actually does what it's supposed to do and horrifies. The bloke who plays Johnny Burns in Deadwood plays an abusive patriarch in somewhere foresty and rural in the US. He captures a 'feral' woman (played brilliantly by Pollyanna McKintosh) he finds in the woods whilst hunting and tries to get his family to help 'civilise' her. It's highly gruesome and lots of blanks are left unfilled, but it's all the more disturbing for it. I need to check out Lucky McKee's other films. :cool:

Tyrannosaur - Paddy Considines first outing as a director. Pretty good job as well, grim and narrowly scoped in terms of characters involved, but effective and poignant nonetheless. 8.5/10

Started watching Derek Jarman's Caravaggio - painfully slow and arty, gave up.

Started watching The Stalker - painfully slow and dark Russian film over two DVDs with subtitles, gave up.

Tape Crackers - a jungle pirate radio obsessive talks about his massive collection of cassettes and plays bits of them. Almost brilliant, but not an easy thing to capture, especially when seemingly unplanned and disorganised. Plus the tapes were in poor condition and they didn't mic stereo very well so hard to make out anything being played.

I saw Roman Polanski's latest, Carnage. It's brilliant, so savage and funny.
Two sets of parents meet to discuss a violent incident involving their kids and very soon the thin veneer of civilization is ripped away and they're tearing chunks out of each other, childishly and hilariously.
It's an adaptation of a Yasmin Reza play and is set in one room but it zips along and is very short.
Another bit of supporting evidence in Polanski's grand theory that people = arseholes.
Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, John C Reilly and Christoff Waltz are all brilliant, but especially Waltz.

The Secret In Their Eyes - very compelling Argentinian thriller. Consistently surprising plot, great performances and amazing photography esp one particular scene of a chase in a football stadium that looks like one shot but can't possiby be.

Agreed - but it shouldn't win any prizes for Best Ageing Makeup Artistry, eh?

I really liked Secret in their Eyes but was surprised (quite pleasantly) about how conventional it is in style ... and tone (it's not relentlessly dreary hang-yourself-in-the-cinema-loos bleak as the subject matter might have prompted in a lot of new European directors for example.)

Agreed - but it shouldn't win any prizes for Best Ageing Makeup Artistry, eh?

I really liked Secret in their Eyes but was surprised (quite pleasantly) about how conventional it is in style ... and tone (it's not relentlessly dreary hang-yourself-in-the-cinema-loos bleak as the subject matter might have prompted in a lot of new European directors for example.)
what do you mean about the make up? i think they did a fine job ie they didn't bother much. i had to look up carla quivedo's real age up as i couldn't tell whether she was young playing old or vice versa (she's somewhere in between).

oh, and speaking of films using flashback, I also saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and, though I enjoyed it, I got well confused by the chronology of the plot. I think I got it all eventually and it covers rather a lot of major plot points very economically (eg Bumbercatch's character's sexuality and his having to dump his boyfriend in case the Circus decided to play dirty is dealt with in the space of a minute, but very effectively). However, it jumped from past to present so much, I was stumped a few times. There are usually indications of some sort to show you when in the plot we are supposed to be and I detected none.
Still, loved the production design.

what do you mean about the make up? i think they did a fine job ie they didn't bother much. i had to look up carla quivedo's real age up as i couldn't tell whether she was young playing old or vice versa (she's somewhere in between).

I also thought the make up was well done, exactly because they were quite subtle with it and didn't cover the actor's faces in latex.

Watched Tomboy yesterday afternoon which I loved, great performances from the kids, very natural.

Last night The Woman, which I think I liked. It really is a scary film, not sure if I was completely convinced by the fella playing the Dad and thought the retribution might've dragged out a bit longer, or maybe I was just after a bit more gore and gratuitous violence.

This morning saw Christine, an old Alan Clarke short from 1987 about a teenage drug runner. Gets across the banality of such existence well although the acting was a bit Grange Hill. Come to think, Zammo did gouching much better.

I also thought the make up was well done, exactly because they were quite subtle with it and didn't cover the actor's faces in latex.
Main characters, more or less OK (though inescapably a bit crepe-papery and powdery at the end). But the (PLOT SPOILER OMITTED) bloke at the end? THAT'S well-done ageing makeup to you? really really?
(not mocking just asking ... personally I was so unconvinced it almost jolted me out of the mood of this otherwise fine film).

Main characters, more or less OK (though inescapably a bit crepe-papery and powdery at the end). But the (PLOT SPOILER OMITTED) bloke at the end? THAT'S well-done ageing makeup to you? really really?
(not mocking just asking ... personally I was so unconvinced it almost jolted me out of the mood of this otherwise fine film).

That's because that actor was a lot younger than the other two, who were middle aged, so it was easier to convincingly age them. There is only so much you can do when you don't have a Benjamin Button size budget. Sometimes you just have to suspend your disbelief a little. Old age makeup is very difficult to do and pretty much impossible to do convincingly on young actors. I still think their less is more approach was good for what they were working with.

I always thought the old age-makeup in Once Upon a Time in America was quite good, especially De Niro's, but they just couldn't get it right for the much younger Elizabeth McGovern. That's why you see her face covered in lotion as she removes her stage make up when she is supposed to be much older.

Back
Top Bottom