Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you listening to right now? v2.0

Yes indeed.

And here's a Williamson-helmed number that essentially invented hardcore punk almost a decade before it actually transpired - written and first performed in 1971 - from the Head Heritage site:

Between the 1977 copyright listed on the label and the vague “Iggy Pop/James Williamson” credit, one would automatically assume this to be a more energetic outtake from “Kill City” or something, were it not for its ever-explosive qualities. This fiercely berserk 45 was recorded in London in the early summer of 1972 prior to “Raw Power,” and from these same sessions yielded “Tight Pants” and “I’m Sick Of You.” So the lineup behind Iggy here is James Williamson on guitar, Ron Asheton on bass and Scott Asheton on drums. And when you realise that “I Got A Right” had been in The Stooges’ live set since 1971, you know it’s gotta be one headlong, pile driving monster.

Featuring members of various Brighton-based outfits (and Graham Newbury - ex-The Wasp Factory, ex-Skree - on drums) - one on the "what a bloody racket!" tip:

e2a: Just been informed by guitarist Kev N that this combo are looking for gigs in London etc - anyone got any leads for this?

Pere Ubu are a good band to dip into and nick the best songs off various albums. This off Modern Dance:

Isn't that just ridiculously splendid? I think I prefer that to the Rocket from the Tombs version (just).

Last edited:
Pulled Massive Attack Vs Mad Professor - No Protection out for the first time in a couple of years. Still absolutely love it. Majestic combination.

Pere Ubu are a good band to dip into and nick the best songs off various albums. This off Modern Dance:

Isn't that just ridiculously splendid? I think I prefer that to the Rocket from the Tombs version (just).

Yes, this one's definitely another keeper from the Ubu stable.

And more Ubu - this time from the Hearthen singles range - there's summat about this which reminds me of Can, in an offhand way:

And on the live tip? Here be the same number, taken from the "390 Degrees of Simulated Stereo" live LP/"official boot":

Shimmydisc business - I literally haven't listened to this lot in almost 20 years - this number still seems to hold up, though:

This is very easily one of the most ludicrous "tribute" tunes I think I've ever heard. Still, all hail Wayne Rogers and co., and not to mention Stefan J for bringing this one to a wider audience:

Back
Top Bottom