Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you listening to right now? v2.0

Ex-members of Napalm Death (the side A of "Scum" line-up) re-unite for a "post-metal"/dub/"noise" etc hoe-down:

And a considerable progression on the Scorn sound can be heard here:

Stuart Price has produced some stunning remixes, and this is one of the best. The Depeche Mode one is still close to perfection for me though.

The ultimate epitome of all things Brunch Rock:

(Jesus Christ, just how desperate are this lot wanting to be the Beach Boys?)

"Scream in my eyes/scream in my face/scream at my forehead/my tiny forehead"

(Apparently Wiiija's Gary Walker absolutely loathed TC - some people, eh?)

Psych-dub-"noise" barrage a go go here - produced by AR Kane's Rudi Tambala, and w/the ace Joe Whitney on drums (w/Gordon Watson manning the bass):

And in a change of scene - I used to think of this lot as being completely laughable - but this track ain't actually that bad, really:

Back to it - another Wiiija act that Gary Walker couldn't stand - Keith Goldhanger later went on to co-found Headbutt:

...and here's the "climax" of Headbutt's notorious set at the Camden Falcon - I think they got a lifetime ban from the Falcon after this (my good mate J is at the front of the audience here):

Who would have ever believed that Kevin Martin - of The Bug and King Midas Sound, amongst others - once helmed this skronk-noise-racket outfit?:

...and this live version is way better than the version on "Possession":

Note: they did this at the Marquee in 1990, when they were still a "noise-rock" band - it was at a slugs-pace tempo, and the amount of feedback/distortion twin gtrs nearly deafened me.

Ignore the utterly tedious "transgressive" artwork here (no no no, mister Martin, sir!) - here be God in studio action, when Shaun Rogan still was handling lead "axe" duties (his onstage live presence antics really were a sight to behold, I tells ya):

And here's some v rare footage of god playing at the Canterbury Arms in 1988:

Notes: One of the drummers at this gig (Paul Middleton - the guy w/the tied-up dreads) later joined Cindytalk, and he told me at a pub in Dalston (in 1991) that he was absolutely drunk out of his mind during this gig. The other drummer is Andy Roberts, who left God (as did Paul) before I caught them live - they were replaced by Scott Kiehl (ex-Slab!) and Lou Ciccotelli.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom