Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What albums from the last ten years are in your all-time Top 20 favourites?

Oh possibly deathcrash’s Return played it this morning for the first time in a while, still sounds great.

Hard to say if they'll be favourites of all time, but these have enjoyed heavy rotation:

Never by Micachu & the Shapes (OK, just outside last 10 years, from 2013)
O Meu Estilo EP by DJ Nigga Fox (an EP not an album, but what an EP. Everything he does is friggin great. Everything the label Principe Discos puts out is friggin great.)
Nick Hart sings 9 English Folk Songs by Nick Hart
CHATTA by Chepang - best grindcore album ever made
Brick Body Kids Still Daydream by Open Mike Eagle (nostalgic bittersweet anti-gentrification hip-hop)
Kjaere min maur by Kjorstad Brothers - the Scandinavian Incredible String Band
I've Forgotten Now Who I Used To Be by Witch Camp Ghana (nerve-rendingly beautiful outsider art by oppressed ostracised Ghanian women labelled 'witches')

Last edited:
Dunno about top 20 all time faves, but Jessie Ware's What's Your Pleasure is an unusually solid album. It's rare these days to find an album that can be listened to from start to finish. Not sure if that's down to lack of quality, too much choice or the temptation to shuffle Spotify.

Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter's Saved from last year was something amazing to me at first. Like something so wild and full of pain and passion that it was plainly something that should be talked about, as a whole new emotional and spiritual dimension on music as an art form. But I didn't think I would love it, that I would keep returning to it as on first listen it's difficult to love.

But I do keep returning to it.

I don't think I could point to anything from the last ten years that would breach my Top 20.

Maybe Disclosure - 'Settle' - that was just over 10 years old at the time of the OP - that might make the Top 30. I couldn't point to much that would even breach the Top 40, let alone the Top 20.

Fatoumara Diawara - fatou. Although it may not be allowed as I think it was 2013.

If you don’t know it, check it out and check her out live too if you ever get the chance.

Joe wong - Nite Creatures
Theee Bat - Members Only
Maybe . .
Ex Hex - Rips

Gawd, that might be it for 10 years.

All I can think of are:

Bowie - Blackstar
Wire - Silver/Lead

Unfortunately, even though i do listen to new stuff, my core taste in music remains stubbornly 1990s/early 2000s, and before that.

Possibly something by Trent Reznor.

Ghosts V and VI were 2020.

And he's done loads of films and TV scores in the last ten years.

Space's Attack of the Mutant 50ft Kebab is up there with Tin Planet and Spiders, shame the quality has dropped off since. Also Janelle Monae's The ArchAndroid and Poppy's Flux.

My taste is also stuck in the '90s but I do like some recent musicians. Fell in love with Nadine Shah recently and Olivia Rodrigo's Guts is an album the teenage me would have loved, and the adult one certainly does.

Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool
Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over the Country Club

Honourable mentions:

Alabama Shakes - Sound and Colour
Hannah Peel - Awake But Always Dreaming

A couple that might become all time favourites but haven't been out long enough to qualify yet:

Nabihah Iqbal - Dreamer
Arlo Parks - My Soft Machine

And if you play them back to back so they sound like an album, the Texas Sun/Texas Moon EP's by Khruangbin and Leon Bridges.

Space's Attack of the Mutant 50ft Kebab is up there with Tin Planet and Spiders, shame the quality has dropped off since. Also Janelle Monae's The ArchAndroid and Poppy's Flux.
There was no stage in recording or production where the band or the record company went "Guys, guys.... I'm not sure about this album title"?

My taste is also stuck in the '90s but I do like some recent musicians. Fell in love with Nadine Shah recently and Olivia Rodrigo's Guts is an album the teenage me would have loved, and the adult one certainly does.

I like a lot of stuff from the last ten years, but unfortunately none of it really gets into my core, so I tend to forget about it rather quickly whereas the stuff i listened to in my teens and twenties, even my thirties, has rammed iteself pretty strongly in my memories. The last band that did that for me was The Go Team and that was about 15 years ago i think. I think its definitely an age thing.

The Scratch - Mind Yourself

Really growing on me. If you like a bit of drone, prog, Rory Gallagher, Horslips and Queen all blended together...

Back
Top Bottom