Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Waxed Jackets. WTF?

So I have a jacket that is long overdue replacing as it’s basically falling to pieces. One of the things I was desperate to avoid was the fact that this jacket is dry clean only. So I definitely set out with that in mind not wanting to fall into that again.

And then I walked in a shop with a kind of coat in mind but one was gleaming at me. That was the one I wanted. I tried it on, got a size that roughly fit and went home.

Checked the washing instructions and you can’t machine wash it OR dry clean it! 😂😂

So how do I stop it from eventually looking like it’s been in a war and smelling like a scrum half’s jock strap?

Country people wear these things who roll around in manure and dog shit and they seem to manage. Or do they just replace them every three months? I can’t afford to do that.

So anyone had a wax jacket that requires cleaning methods from the thirteenth century?

It’s still sitting in the bag with the receipt. I don’t want to take it back, but…

I only have a very old waxed jacket which has never been cleaned and is basically falling gently apart. It does have a smell, but not a nasty smell.

It isn't waterproof anymore, I could re-wax it but it isn't worth it now it is coming apart.

However, I don't think you do wash waxed cotton jackets.

You sponge it down with cold water, and re-wax it.

I've got one that's at least 40 years old, I wax it each year. From October to April I'll wear it most days.

The inside you can clean with a sponge and cold water, and give it spray of Fabreeze.
You can hand wash it in cool water.
Thanks for this. Yeah, I think I’ve got to get out of the habit too of having one coat for all occasions.

I’ve had three in my life. They are ace for when it’s wet and cold and you are standing around not moving much. They aren’t so good if you are getting a sweat up (thank you Gortex) .

I have owned three re waxed two. They look like they have been rewaxed. One I lost, one I got too fat for and one is hanging up in the cupboard.

They do make you look a bit like a country Tory though.

Last edited:
You can buy a liquid solution that will coat a garment in wax when put through a washing machine. Can't remember what it was called but such a thing does exist.

Back
Top Bottom