Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

War on Woke: Conservative Cultural Campaigning

Liked, apart from the "taking the Mick" bit
not sure:

"Rhyming slang is a type of slang that replaces words with rhyming words or phrases, typically with the rhyming element omitted. For example, in the phrase not to have a scooby, scooby, rhyming slang for clue, is short for Scooby Doo, the name of a cartoon dog which features in several U.S. television series and films.

Mickey
, also Mike, short for Michael, appear in Mickey Bliss, also Mike Bliss (or simply Mickey, also Mike), rhyming slang for the noun piss, urine, act of urination " ?

not sure:

"Rhyming slang is a type of slang that replaces words with rhyming words or phrases, typically with the rhyming element omitted. For example, in the phrase not to have a scooby, scooby, rhyming slang for clue, is short for Scooby Doo, the name of a cartoon dog which features in several U.S. television series and films.

Mickey
, also Mike, short for Michael, appear in Mickey Bliss, also Mike Bliss (or simply Mickey, also Mike), rhyming slang for the noun piss, urine, act of urination " ?

Am aware of that side to it, yeah.

It's a term that is... open to interpretation and used maliciously by some... IME

Things that I have seen being called 'woke' lately:

Being interested in history
Presumably it's not woke to be interested in history in the form of imperialist/confederate statues (or a local equivalent) though? Asking for a not-racist aunt and uncle:hmm:

Presumably it's not woke to be interested in history in the form of imperialist/confederate statues (or a local equivalent) though? Asking for a not-racist aunt and uncle:hmm:

That’s woke so long as you’re not pro-slavery.

I would quite like a conversation with a Tory, about pride flags they like to display this time of year.
I would feign ignorance of the flag and have them explain it to me. Like I'm 5. So I could ask awkward questions that I should have been asking at 12 years old, except I wasn't allowed to learn about it.

Have known a few randoms over the years, who, having been explained that a certain term is offensive to some, still carry on using them.

Meh

Have known a few randoms over the years, who, having been explained that a certain term is offensive to some, still carry on using them.

Meh

Guess it depends on the “some”. They might not believe it is offensive to a significant number of a group, may avoid using such a term in front of members of that group, or may just use it in front of you to underline that they are not willing to be told what they can or cannot say.

Guess it depends on the “some”. They might not believe it is offensive to a significant number of a group, may avoid using such a term in front of members of that group, or may just use it in front of you to underline that they are not willing to be told what they can or cannot say.
For sure. But reckon it's not telling folks what they can or cannot say, more like pointing out words or phrases that cause discomfort.

Apparently, "not dying of heat stroke" is now a bunch of wokery.

oa1wzud0mxb91.jpg

Back
Top Bottom