Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vigil- BBC crime/ thriller miniseries

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
The premise of this is intriguing enough: a sailor aboard one of the UK’s nuclear deterrence submarines is killed, and as they can’t stop their three-month mission under any circumstances, a police detective is flown to it to sail along and conduct the investigation.

A bit of a marmite reception so far: the usually po-faced Guardian gave the first episode five stars, whilst the Torygraph described it as ‘miserable’. Has anyone checked it out yet?

I've literally just this moment set it to record, I'll have to catch-up on the first one, on iPlayer.

The premise of this is intriguing enough: a sailor aboard one of the UK’s nuclear deterrence submarines is killed, and as they can’t stop their three-month mission under any circumstances, a police detective is flown to it to sail along and conduct the investigation.

A bit of a marmite reception so far: the usually po-faced Guardian gave the first episode five stars, whilst the Torygraph described it as ‘miserable’. Has anyone checked it out yet?
Some of it was filmed very near my house. I saw the filming going on. So I happen to know there’s a scene where

Suranne Jones knocks on a door

I think the series will be about the wider implications of the necessity of a nuclear deterrent, rather than a police procedural

Reasonably enjoyed the first episode. I can only imagine the Telegraph hack who described it as miserable is your typical right wing Armed Forces fanboy who’s taken offence at the very concept of any Forces personnel behaving in a less than exemplary manner.

Enjoyed ep2 as well. I don’t think it’ll turn out to be amazing but it’s decent enough so far.

I was reading the other day a companion article on what really happens in real life emergencies aboard the sub on duty. Apparently there are no interruptions to the mission unless it’s a life or death situation for an injured crew mate. There’s also a complete news embargo. If the wife and kids of someone on board were killed in a car crash, he wouldn’t be told at all- let alone allowed off- until the three-month mission had ran its course.

It’s fun stuff. Fantasy policing and fantasy military stuff, not pretending to have any connections to reality so possible to watch without going ‘that’s wrong’ ‘that would never happen’ every 20 seconds …

I suspect there might be some debates on the nature of the deterrent through debates between the characters at some point.

Also a 50/50 chance that the cop will end up driving the submarine at some point.

Only a 1 in 100 chance that the cop and the captain will have an argument over which was the best Silver Surfer though, mores the pity.

Last edited:
…There’s also a complete news embargo. If the wife and kids of someone on board were killed in a car crash, he wouldn’t be told at all- let alone allowed off- until the three-month mission had ran its course.

You get a choice, at the start of the cruise you can say wether you want any bad news given to you when it comes in or held till just before the return to port.

It’s an interesting question, what would urbs do?

You get a choice, at the start of the cruise you can say wether you want any bad news given to you when it comes in or held till just before the return to port.

It’s an interesting question, what would urbs do?
Ah, the article I read suggested there was no such option regarding bad news- that it was policy to keep any bad news that might influence morale from reaching the sailors. Which would make more sense than giving them such option. I’d imagine being told your entire family has died in an accident but you must miss their funeral and carry on working as normal for several weeks would render the sailor in question unfit for duty if not a liability to the crew.

It’s fun stuff. Fantasy policing and fantasy military stuff, not pretending to have any connections to reality so possible to watch without going ‘that’s wrong’ ‘that would never happen’ every 20 minutes…

I suspect there might be some debates on the nature of the deterrent through debates between the characters at some point.

Also a 50/50 chance that the cop will end up driving the submarine at some point.

Only a 1 in 100 chance that the cop and the captain will have an argument over which was the best Silver Surfer though, mores the pity.
Have been getting the impression the submaire adviser probably went home every night thinking "all I can do is offer advice its not my fault if the director doesn't take it" unless they got Ringo Starr

It seems an incredibly roomy sub. I know we need to be a bit generous to the director, but nowhere does anyone appear to be crammed in. I am dubious about the allowance of alcohol in board too.

It’s already quite silly, but entertaining enough for a Sunday.

Last edited:
It seems an incredibly roomy sub. I know we need to be a bit generous, to the director, but nowhere does anyone appear to be crammed in. I am dubious about the allowance of alcohol in board too.
I noticed that! They began with the usual attempt at showing how crowded things are, 'watch your head', tiers of bunks, nose near the ceiling etc. After that, the only bit that close to full was the main 'deck'/room/periscopey place.

It seems an incredibly roomy sub. I know we need to be a bit generous to the director, but nowhere does anyone appear to be crammed in. I am dubious about the allowance of alcohol in board too.

It’s already quite silly, but entertaining enough for a Sunday.

The RN lets people drink. It’s not like the Americans where you have responsibility for literally being able to end civilisation with the turn of a key but can’t be trusted with a Budweiser….

Last edited:
I read a book about a year ago (My Bloody Efforts Steven Bridgeman) by a chap who’d been an artificer on British attack nuclear submarines. Fascinating, but the ‘pinnacle’ of his career was when they had a reactor fault that they couldn’t diagnose remotely. After trying everything else he and an officer had to unbolt the rector compartment and go inside to have a look - and fix the fault. Read like something from a Tom Clancey novel…

Dunno what to make of it really.

Weird James Bond style opening credits. Perhaps its was the presence of Suranne Jones as a cop, or the Scottish accents or maybe just the series of Police show clichés but it felt the James Bond start gave way quickly to A Touch of Cloth.

But maybe because it was a cliché check list and because the situational set-up was pretty absurd it was quite easy to let go of any pretence of reality and just enjoy a whodunnit.

I'll carry on watching.

Reasonably enjoyed the first episode. I can only imagine the Telegraph hack who described it as miserable is your typical right wing Armed Forces fanboy who’s taken offence at the very concept of any Forces personnel behaving in a less than exemplary manner.

He should carry on watching as I find invariably these sort of programs make you think they're taking a critical look, but end up entirely supporting the establishment. It will probably be the protestors what did the murder and all the navy's problems could be fixed if only they had more money and nuclear warheads.

Enjoyed this week’s episode as well, even if you can see some of the twists coming…

I wonder if the Royal Navy has suspended their regular TV advert campaign on other channels whilst this series is running :D

Enjoyed this week’s episode as well, even if you can see some of the twists coming…

I wonder if the Royal Navy has suspended their regular TV advert campaign on other channels whilst this series is running :D
what, the :"I was born in Peebles, but I was murrrrrrrrrdered in the Royal Navy" ones?

Back
Top Bottom