Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vehicle idling - why do drivers do it?

There’s a parent at my school who avoids parking on the zig zags by just driving his car right up onto the pavement (which is barely wider than the car) and leaving it there for ten minutes. If you have a pushchair or child on a bike/scooter you have to go into the road to get round. Maximum twattery.

There’s a parent at my school who avoids parking on the zig zags by just driving his car right up onto the pavement (which is barely wider than the car) and leaving it there for ten minutes. If you have a pushchair or child on a bike/scooter you have to go into the road to get round. Maximum twattery.
I am surprised he doesn't get an earful every morning?

I am surprised he doesn't get an earful every morning?
People just put up with it. No-one wants to start a fight and the law is on the side of the drivers. Twenty pound fine for pumping exhaust into a primary school entrance and only if you don't turn it off when asked by a traffic warden.

My kid's school is bringing the traffic wardens down and has promised to talk to the wankers individually.

Back a few years when my son was in primary they went to town, there was no parking or stopping anywhere on their street, you had to park on one of the feeder streets and walk from there. It was a bit of a pain, we were coming from too far to walk, but in their defence the school street was much more civilised.

At our school, otherwise perfectly reasonable people think it's normal to send WhatsApp messages warning each other that the terrible traffic wardens are around, as it's an appalling imposition on them to object to idling on double yellows and I notice fellow parents are the worst for dangerously driving through pedestrian crossings (impatience caused by the gridlock dropping off by car causes). This isn't even a rural school where I could understand parents needing to drive.

The school head has remained completely uninterested in school streets/ school buses etc (I've emailed a lot) and as E is in year 5 now I'm not going to push it anymore.

I punch in the face would probably be quite effective.

Key his car

I genuinely don’t understand why anyone would willingly let their engine run idle (not counting reasonably short waiting times, such as at a traffic lights). Even if you don’t give a fuck about the environment, it’s noisy and bothersome.

FWIW I very rarely see it happening myself. It could be that my later start of my day means I don’t hear or see drivers warming up their engines in the morning before they set off to work. Or perhaps it’s more of a ‘provinces’ thing. But whereas I recall the odd one over the years, it really is very infrequent in my street.

A tad more common is twats playing load music while waiting for a friend to come out of their house, or spending 5-10 minutes in the car talking to their girlfriend or mate with the music playing loud after giving them a lift home. It could be that the loud music drowns out the engine noise I guess :D

I can’t do the thing where the engine stops at the lights. The car does have it, and it works for the gf, but I obviously drive slightly differently, do something in a different order somehow, so it pretty much never kicks in for me. With some lights where I know it has a long cycle I just turn it off manually then restart before the lights change.

When I had an old, unreliable piece of sh*t of a van, it was such a palaver to get it started I was always a bit anxious about turning it off unless I knew it could be left stationary and unattended.

I've had a slight hangover from that, but now mostly trust the battery on my slightly more modern van will cope with being restarted after very short bursts of driving. Not to the extent where I'd risk turning it off at a red light, but anytime I'm parked for longer than ten seconds or so.

Bump because leaving your engine on whilst parked has been illegal for 22 years now, yet continues to happen.

I still don't think many drivers a) realise it is officially banned and b) know what 'idling' means, so a poster saying 'don't idle' is maybe interpreted as 'don't park for too long'? It needs a new term.

I am a member of a campaign group that sponsors signs around schools to switch off engines etc, and it's weird because it's the only campaign group I've been in that is campaigning for something that is already law.

Classic combo is driver in parked car with engine on, looking at phone; and police vans - the red ones with officers in - always, always have their engine running.

Only one?

Since I bought one at the beginning of December I have become an unabashed fan of hybrid vehicles. Not only does the engine not idle at all but approaching traffic lights etc it will shut the engine off (if running) as soon as I start applying the brakes.
Advances in technology will end engine idling and in the meantime is probably making me feel so smug it annoys even me.

Last edited:
You're not allowed to unload people on double yellows, not even your precious kids.
What a surprise , wrong again ,

I suggest you re-read Rule 238 as the prohibition of setting down is on School markings

It's well known that vehicle idling causes pollution and that there is no need to keep modern engines running while the vehicle is stationary (short article from the RAC here).

Despite this it still seems common. We live on a quiet residential street and WFH in the pandemic I have noticed lots of drivers - mostly of commercial vehicles - leaving their engines running while parked (I'm talking about more than 5 mins here not just briefly).

Why do they do this? AFAIK car stereos still work with the ignition on. There have been plenty of cases when it's neither really hot nor cold so it's not heating or a/c. Perhaps it's charging phones? Or maybe they are just dicks.

Why do people idle and what can be done to persuade them not to?

Citizens in my street are also
Partial to this.

Back
Top Bottom