Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

Assuming that was the penalty decision, do you think the decision using VAR was right or wrong to overturn it?
If we judge the VAR decision for the Fernandes penalty against this then it’s the same a penalty . However in both situations most would say even without VAR neither were penalties and I reckon there would be a fair few who would accept that Fernandes and Grealish should have got yellows. So we can say VAR got 50% right ie this one right the other similar one wrong . I don’t mind error and there has to be an element of the subjective and in some cases intention in decisions . The idea that VAR automatically reduces error is another thing .

If we judge the VAR decision for the Fernandes penalty against this then it’s the same a penalty . However in both situations most would say even without VAR neither were penalties and I reckon there would be a fair few who would accept that Fernandes and Grealish should have got yellows. So we can say VAR got 50% right ie this one right the other similar one wrong . I don’t mind error and there has to be an element of the subjective and in some cases intention in decisions . The idea that VAR automatically reduces error is another thing .
I think neither are penalties. Without VAR, both would have been mistakenly given. With VAR, at least 1 was correctly judged, which I think is an improvement, which is the whole point of having the system in place. If VAR hadn’t overturned the Grealish decision, it wouldn’t have changed things at all but I don’t think you can blame the system for it. I think the handball decision is harder to understand. In my opinion, I can’t see how that can be classified as his arm, but I’ve not been trained as a referee so don’t know what their guidance indicates an arm is. I am more comfortable that someone has the ability to rewatch whether it did come off his arm by having the benefit of a replay than just leaving it to the on field referee who doesn’t really have a chance of knowing whether a foul was committed or not.

Any VAR proponents going to defend the Palace goal being incorrectly disallowed? The shoulder is a legal part of the body. Insane decision.

Yes was wrong. Probably balanced out by the Grealish 'penalty' being disallowed by VAR, though. Of course there will be bad decisions by the VAR referee who, like the match ref, is human.

You'd agree they'll be greatly outweighed by correct decisions overruling the ref, for example more than say 5:1 ?

The disallowed Benteke goal was among the very worst VAR decisions there has been. It caused a clear and obvious error!

The Grealish overturned penalty was VAR working well. Yes, I'm a Palace fan, but still - it was clear that Grealish's foot came down on top of PVA's planted foot. Not a foul (in fact arguably a foul in the other direction).

Grealish is a cheat. That's twice he's dived against us.

I can kind of sympathise with the ref giving this in real-time. There's actual contact, followed by (not very convincing) simulation. Those kind of tangles are tricky to read in full flow.

what the onfield ref would have decided without var.
Logical with VAR would be to keep the play going if he wasn't sure, and let the var stop play if there was indeed a foul. If he gave a penalty then it's fairly likely he'd have given one anyway.

Another good example of VAR protecting the more skilful players last night as Romeu skilfully tried to break Mason Greenwood's ankle and only got a yellow card not a red despite the VAR review. As Romeu took his ankle the ball was in another time zone.

Still, can't get every one right eh.

Another good example of VAR protecting the more skilful players last night as Romeu skilfully tried to break Mason Greenwood's ankle and only got a yellow card not a red despite the VAR review. As Romeu took his ankle the ball was in another time zone.

Still, can't get every one right eh.
'A little late'

VAR is trashing this game more than Covid ever could.

What an absolute bullshit penalty (to go along with yesterday's for Everton). Dier wasn't even looking at the ball.

And it's got Kane sent off into the bargain. Spurs goalkeeping coach apparently.

Farce.

Last edited:
Kane sent off after the final whistle, presumably for telling the ref that his total bullshit decision was total bullshit.

If he's going to get a red anyway, should have chinned the ref.

VAR is trashing this game more than Covid ever could.

What an absolute bullshit penalty (to go along with yesterday's for Everton). Dier wasn't even looking at the ball.

Today's was an utter disgrace, especially as even with the current rules that shouldn't have been given (similar to the one the RS got against Leeds).

The penalty for Everton yesterday should have been given though; like the one Palace got vs United the defenders arm clearly went to the ball - it was from very close range, but the defenders probably subconciously done it rather than accidentally (as today).

Weird how all the decisions VAR has got right so far this season weren't mentioned :confused:

Anyway, isn't this the controversy everyone said they'd miss talking about? And they'll all "even out at the end of the season".

Weird how all the decisions VAR has got right so far this season weren't mentioned :confused:

Anyway, isn't this the controversy everyone said they'd miss talking about? And they'll all "even out at the end of the season".

I don't want 16 shit VAR decisions to go for Spurs and 16 shit VAR decisions to go against Spurs.

Anyway, I don't think VAR is the issue here. I think it's that some utter lunatic has decided to piss about with the handball rule so that the only people who can be defenders are double at the shoulder amputees.

Anyway, I don't think VAR is the issue here.

Yes it is. It's the inconsistency of it. 2 mins before Lascelles possibly handballed it. Wasn't even looked at. 2 mins later Dier gets it on the hand while looking the other way. Penalty. It's bullshit.

And I have no dog in this fight between Spurs and Newcastle. It's just stupid to see football ruined like this through crap laws and inconsistent interpretation of what does and doesn't go to VAR.

Yeah, it does seem to be the rule is the issue.

Feel like people'll just complain about any changed rule, too. Add more interpretation, bring in "intent", then you're going to have inconsistent decisions and people saying "that wasn't given last week".

Different people just gonna get upset about different things, and probably some of the same ones too.

Back
Top Bottom