Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75's lack of empathy for ordinary people who like jazz

My feeling (it certainly works for me) is that with jazz you need to go back to the beginning (or at very least the swing era) in order to understand a lot of it. If it's about breaking the rules or expanding the musical language then you need to have that reference to what is being expanded upon.
I'm not sure about this - so many of the musical rules of jazz have been absorbed into the general musical rules of other popular forms that a deep knowledge of the roots of the music isn't necessary. You've just got to spend a bit of time with it is all.

I'm not sure about this - so many of the musical rules of jazz have been absorbed into the general musical rules of other popular forms that a deep knowledge of the roots of the music isn't necessary. You've just got to spend a bit of time with it is all.

I think that's probably true now. But a lot of the recommendations will be 1940's->1960's which is the sort of classic jazz bop/cool era. There's a lot of cross over with eg. funk and hip hop since and you can get an angle on it that way as well.

I think that's probably true now. But a lot of the recommendations will be 1940's->1960's which is the sort of classic jazz bop/cool era. There's a lot of cross over with eg. funk and hip hop since and you can get an angle on it that way as well.
TBH that's why I suggested a few recent bands - I reckon someone wanting to try out jazz in 2022 would be better served by checking out modern stuff that takes it's influences from modern music - hip hop, dance music etc - than trying to find a way in via the classic bop recordings, or starting with the hot 5s & 7s - the kids in the mosh pit at The Comet Is Coming shows aren't listening to bix beidebecke on the way home.

*Apart from being a sexist shit, I once caught him making his coffee/tea round with water from the tap. I reckon so it would be so bad, he'd not have to make his round while still being in the round. What kind of monster does that? :rolleyes:

Where else would you get water from? Collect it from the roof? :confused:

Well it would be nice if it went via the kettle...

Straight from the hot tap? I see, most hot taps aren't hot enough for that. You'd need one of those special taps which dispense boiling hot water...

What? Who disses jazz? That's such a weird thing to do. It's such a broad genre and parts of it are so incredibly cool.

You know it's the good stuff when by the end the pianist has climbed onto his piano and plays the sides as percussion and the audience are drenched in sweat. Just writing this sentence makes me sad that it's been so long since I last experienced anything of the sort.

Jazz is a load of old shit.
That nonsense about "the notes they're not playing".

Well, I was not playing more notes than they weren't, and you don't see me expecting applause and the stupid jazz face.

I went into a jazz club once when I was younger*. Thankfully I was very, very drunk so have no memory of the horrors that I must have heard inside.

*only went in because they had a late licence.
You never know, had you taken proper notice and listened, you'd probably be a bit less fixated on seagulls and wasps. Any road, give this choon a listen. If it doesn't help, then you're well and truly lost.

Back
Top Bottom