Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75's lack of empathy for ordinary people who like jazz

I'm no jazzman but it's disappointing to see people on here arrogantly mocking all those people in our country for whom jazz is important, for whatever reason.

This is just a new version of the thing where classical music fans are dismissed as elitist snobs by people who have no idea what Classic FM listeners' lives are like and, indeed, don't actually care.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy spending this afternoon laughing at people you think are more sophisticated than you.

I once had a truly appalling colleague* who played in a jazz band. More stand up and sit down and wave your hat about jazz than smoky cellar cool jazz I think but completely put me off.

*Apart from being a sexist shit, I once caught him making his coffee/tea round with water from the tap. I reckon so it would be so bad, he'd not have to make his round while still being in the round. What kind of monster does that? :rolleyes:

I once had a truly appalling colleague* who played in a jazz band. More stand up and sit down and wave your hat about jazz than smoky cellar cool jazz I think but completely put me off.

*Apart from being a sexist shit, I once caught him making his coffee/tea round with water from the tap. I reckon so it would be so bad, he'd not have to make his round while still being in the round. What kind of monster does that? :rolleyes:
This sort of monster

In a way, jazz is both the old and new punk. The Nation of Ulysses understood that.

I actually pretend to like jazz more than I do (and I do genuinely like jazz), just because it seems to get under some people's skins.

Can you post some Jazz you like? I've never been convinced by it but probably because I've not tried.
Loads of great young jazz bands about atm, it's a good time to get into it 'cause it's best live: wonderful though Cotrane, Louis, Ella & Miles are, you've only got the records to go with - I reckon you should try recent albums by The Comet Is Coming, Black Monument Ensemble and Joshua Abrams Natural Information Society to start off with.

Probably a bit late to pick at your premise (sue me; I'm on holiday) but normal people don't like jazz.

ETA. Damnit you said ordinary. :D

I agree with the jazz adage that it's all about the notes they're not playing, and then sensibly take this to its logical conclusion.

My feeling (it certainly works for me) is that with jazz you need to go back to the beginning (or at very least the swing era) in order to understand a lot of it. If it's about breaking the rules or expanding the musical language then you need to have that reference to what is being expanded upon.

My one recommendation for the beginner jazz listener. I was a "I don't like jazz" type for a long time. But this hit me like an emotional brick in the face.

Back
Top Bottom