Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK coronavirus tracking app - discussion

Will you be using the NHS coronavirus tracking app

• Total voters
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter how long it takes them to develop the thing. It takes months or years or infinite time to deploy to devices. On Android it has to go through the OEM like Samsung or whoever. Probably the majority of devices are out of active support. The situation is better on iOS but you only need look at version distribution to see the lag.

It cannot.

I was making reference to future pandemics, once in the OS's of everyone's phones it can be reactivated as a useful tool to help track and trace. I hope I never see another in my lifetime, but I think they are a fact of life until we figure out how to prevent all viruses.

I was making reference to future pandemics, once in the OS's of everyone's phones it can be reactivated as a useful tool to help track and trace. I hope I never see another in my lifetime, but I think they are a fact of life until we figure out how to prevent all viruses.
You were on about how it can be deployed this month. It can't, not in majority numbers, and that's within the set of people lucky enough to have the latest phones. There is no quick fix for C19.

As for dedicated devices, I can't really be bothered to repeatedly make the same point, but the general purpose smartphone is not an ideal platform for this job, even if it became more tailored to it in terms of OS support. The set of devices in operation is much too fragmented, the battery life is shit, people are busy doing other and often contradictory things with their phones, if they even have one, etc etc. - smartphone adoption is saturated, but the specifics of it are much more complicated.

Since you can buy a new phone for £20 or less, you have a rough idea of the minimum cost of mass manufacture. A dedicated device solves most of the problems. If governments were serious about doing this for the whole population, rather than it being a nice-to-have dressed up as essential, they would be looking at something like this.

Pic of an alarmed-looking Michael York in Logan's Run, holding up his palm to show his device glowing red.'s Run, holding up his palm to show his device glowing red.
That'd be the entire board wiped out in one fell swoop... :(

Problems with the NHSX app highlighted:
  • No checking of Authority Public Key
  • InstallationID and the HMAC key spoofing and privacy issues
  • Overly long lived BroadcastValues undermines privacy
  • Interaction monitoring facilitates re-identification
  • Keep alive ping facilitates tracking beyond design window
  • Log uploads are not encrypted
  • Log data is not encrypted at rest
Details:

Amusingly NCSC's analysis admittedly not quite so thorough:
GCHQ's National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) told the BBC it was already aware of most of the issues raised and is in the process of addressing them.

So before there was mention of using Environmental Health staff for contact tracing as they have some experience of this type of work/can't currently do a lot of their usual stuff.

Obviously there wouldn't be enough of them to do all of this but iirc they mentioned 5000 people who could be redeployed to this. Anyone know what happened with that?

Eta Looks like they fucked it up...

So before there was mention of using Environmental Health staff for contact tracing as they have some experience of this type of work/can't currently do a lot of their usual stuff.

Obviously there wouldn't be enough of them to do all of this but iirc they mentioned 5000 people who could be redeployed to this. Anyone know what happened with that?

Eta Looks like they fucked it up...

Going well then...

festivaldeb works for the Council here, and from some talk on Monday, it seems that there's going to be significant numbers of Council employees redeployed to tracing-related phone work.

When, and which ones?

Completely uncertain so far, but deb (who'll be sticking with her WFH job) will be keeping a keen ear out to hear more about this, as several of her colleagues will most likely be involved.

I was wondering whether any other local-authority-working Urbans might have heard anything similar in other councils.

Problems with the NHSX app highlighted:
  • No checking of Authority Public Key
  • InstallationID and the HMAC key spoofing and privacy issues
  • Overly long lived BroadcastValues undermines privacy
  • Interaction monitoring facilitates re-identification
  • Keep alive ping facilitates tracking beyond design window
  • Log uploads are not encrypted
  • Log data is not encrypted at rest
Details:

Amusingly NCSC's analysis admittedly not quite so thorough:

But it’s totally 100% privacy protecting how could this be?! ;-)

Apple and Google completed the work for their exposure notification system. It's not an App, but allows health care systems to develop an App more easily.

The tech giants, in their paper, do say its just another cog in the pandemic machinery, not a way to solve the issue.

I won't be installing it for now. I did read a few posts on Twitter saying the IOW trial app had "gone missing". There wasn't enough context for me to establish what that means and I can't find it now :hmm: but given the history of NHS technology developments, it's best to steer clear. The London Ambulance Service disaster was drummed into me during my degree and there have been instances since. It's not the privacy issue so much as the false assurances it will create. There is no substitute for isolating regardless of the technology.

Even if we had the same app as South Korea, or anyone else with relevant technological success, their more conformist attitude won't work the same for our beer brigades who will be top off, swigging Stella in the park at the first sniff of being allowed out properly.

There is no substitute for isolating regardless of the technology.

Yeah, spot on. This seems to be the most important thing coming out of all of this.

Even if we had the same app as South Korea, or anyone else with relevant technological success, their more conformist attitude won't work the same for our beer brigades who will be top off, swigging Stella in the park at the first sniff of being allowed out properly.

Dunno where you live, but this started weeks ago in SW London. :hmm: Though it tends to be Italian beers and Prosecco.

Yeah, spot on. This seems to be the most important thing coming out of all of this.

Dunno where you live, but this started weeks ago in SW London. :hmm: Though it tends to be Italian beers and Prosecco.
I'm in Derby mate, it's been going on throughout but I thought I'd be generous :D

Very stupid question almost certainly already covered: has it been routine for countries' track and trace methodology to rely on the public downloading an app?

I know it's impossible at this stage, but my impression was "track and trace" generally meant when someone tested positive, they asked them where they've been and then spoke to everyone who had been in the same place at the same time.

Just want to make sure I have a full grasp of how incompetent and irresponsible our government has been.

Very stupid question almost certainly already covered: has it been routine for countries' track and trace methodology to rely on the public downloading an app?

I know it's impossible at this stage, but my impression was "track and trace" generally meant when someone tested positive, they asked them where they've been and then spoke to everyone who had been in the same place at the same time.

Just want to make sure I have a full grasp of how incompetent and irresponsible our government has been.

Apparently the app is just one aspect of track, trace and isolate. It's what some countries have been doing since day 1, even the UK did it a bit before we threw in the towel because the systems were not in place.

The app is just a novel and new way of trying to make this system work better. Currently I'm not sure whether any country has used a version successfully.

It's never going to happen, is it? :D Now they're saying the plan all along was to start the system without the app and introduce it later, which is obvious bollocks. What's the betting in a couple of weeks' time that mysteriously the app will never be mentioned again?

Back
Top Bottom