Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK coronavirus tracking app - discussion

Will you be using the NHS coronavirus tracking app

• Total voters
It's never going to happen, is it? :D Now they're saying the plan all along was to start the system without the app and introduce it later, which is obvious bollocks. What's the betting in a couple of weeks' time that mysteriously the app will never be mentioned again?

No, I don't think it will but then again I'm not sure the entire concept of using an app in this way was ever going to work. I know mauvais has been very sceptical from day one on this thread.

We'll see how it fares in other countries but I don't think its going to be much of a success in many places. It doesn't mean to say it shouldn't be tried as we are into uncharted waters and its certainly worth a go.

Things are afoot.
I've graffitied myself cos I'm aware it's easy to find me but there's just an element of being sensible about these things.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528-105120~2.png
    Screenshot_20200528-105120~2.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 50
As a point of reference, I still play Pokemon Go. Might as well - it takes no effort.

There's a feature where you can do adventure sync, and it will say how far you've travelled in the time your phone did not have pokemon go active. Every night I travel half a kilometre while sleeping. Some nights I travel 2.5km without leaving the room.

This is an app with huge amounts of funding and millions of users.

On any app that rested on GPS data, I would have travelled 2.5km, within London. It would be useless.

As a point of reference, I still play Pokemon Go. Might as well - it takes no effort.

There's a feature where you can do adventure sync, and it will say how far you've travelled in the time your phone did not have pokemon go active. Every night I travel half a kilometre while sleeping. Some nights I travel 2.5km without leaving the room.

This is an app with huge amounts of funding and millions of users.

On any app that rested on GPS data, I would have travelled 2.5km, within London. It would be useless.
You sure you're not sleepwalking?

So do we take it that the IoW trial wasn't a success?
I haven't seen comments about it in the media, positive or negative.
Well I saw it won't be available immediately, which is a comment of some kind I suppose.

I truly did see something on Twitter about it going missing but I still don't know in what content and can't find the info again which is rare for me. I can usually find most of what I've read by recall or Google-fu but that's defeated me for now.

It's as bad as we all thought it would be

That night I saw someone from the track-and-trace programme had spoken to the BBC, and noted that their group had spent the day watching Netflix or playing games online. Having spent days feeling frustrated, I started to feel dejected too.

Two days later I logged in for my weekend shift and discovered nothing had changed – and that I had clocked up 40 hours of key worker pay for doing absolutely nothing.

After the Dominic Cummings story broke I started hearing more media stories about the track-and-trace programme. Health secretary Matt Hancock claimed that “highly trained track-and-trace staff” were in place. I still had not seen the government system we were supposed to use.

Better late than never, I suppose.

Ministers consider coronavirus-tracing app rethink
Concerns about the risks of deploying a go-it-alone UK coronavirus contact-tracing app are causing further delays.

A second version of the smartphone software was due to have begun testing on the Isle of Wight on Tuesday, but the government decided to postpone the trial.

Ministers are considering switching the app over to tech developed by Apple and Google.

But countries testing that model are experiencing issues of their own.

So it looks like winter till it is up and running. What a load off bollocks & cash to mates of Cummings.

Looks like the rest of the world are laughing at the UK. What a shower of shite.

LONDON — Prime Minister Boris Johnson of Britain unveiled last month a “world beating” operation to track down people who had been exposed to the coronavirus, giving the country a chance to climb out of lockdown without losing sight of where infections were spreading.
As with much of the government’s response to the pandemic, however, the results have fallen short of the promises, jeopardizing the reopening of Britain’s hobbled economy and risking a second wave of death in one of the countries most debilitated by the virus.
In almost three weeks since the start of the system in England, called N.H.S. Test and Trace, some contact tracers have failed to reach a single person, filling their days instead with internet exercise classes and bookshelf organizing.
Some call handlers, scattered in offices and homes far from the people they speak with, have mistakenly tried to send patients in England to testing sites across the sea in Northern Ireland.

The New York Times

There it is: :facepalm: :rolleyes:

TBH, I think this is just another (expensive) twitch in the agonised death throes of the whole project.

Two possibilities emerge: either the government is SO FUCKING STUPID it thinks that there's nothing wrong with roaring up several blind alleys in succession without any success, or it thinks the rest of us are SO FUCKING STUPID that it doesn't matter if they do it.

I wouldn't want to put my money on either one over the other.

The government's tagine :cool:
:cool:

hqdefault.jpg

Hancock has just been on saying that the reason the government app won't work is because Apple systems won't allow it. This was posted on here pages back, its more than a bit surprising that professional app developers didn't know this.

He also mentions that apple's version isn't good enough because its range is not up to the job. Apparently a hi-bred is required.

Back
Top Bottom