Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK coronavirus tracking app - discussion

Will you be using the NHS coronavirus tracking app

• Total voters
[QUOTE="Teaboy, post: 16600491, member: 33885”]This was posted on here pages back, its more than a bit surprising that professional app developers didn't know this.[/QUOTE]

I’m sure they did, but obviously expertise costs money, so they took £100 million or whatever to mess around for a bit and then tell the government it was a stupid idea.

I am staggered that anyone is still defending this government.

A family member recently said the classic line 'they are doing their best under the circumstances' :rolleyes: as soon as I gave some examples of their many failings said person said they 'do not want to discuss it' because 'you (me) just want the Conservatives to fail' and 'It would have been worse under Corbyn' :facepalm:

She reads the Mail and rarely leaves the house.

Last edited:

A family member recently said the classic line 'they are doing their best under the circumstances' :rolleyes: as soon as I gave some examples of their many failings said person said they 'do not want to discuss it' because 'you (me) just want the Conservatives to fail' and 'It would have been worse under Corbyn' :facepalm:

I was going to say that they may be doing their best, given that they are utterly incompetent - but no, as usual for the Tories they manage to combine selfishness and malice with incompetence, when they could just... not.

At least you tried your best.

It's not an 8 year old who's just found out they're totally shit at football. Its a national government where hundreds of people are needlessly and pointlessly dying every day. Gah!

people who have the brains for it might find this of interest - here are the contracts signed between the government & the big and small tech firms, setting out what they can do with NHS user data

Chatted to a nurse doing the T&T job last night. They're doing 48 hours a week from home. They say the big issue they're having is people not answering their phones or answering and not saying they're going to self isolate.

I guess it comes down to politics and maybe UK gov thinks it can strong arm Google/Apple into allowing whatever they decide to do in the interests of saving lives. It probably is a bit flexible but I wouldn't count on them getting a pass. Remember the FBI went up against Apple and lost.
I wrote this over a month ago, it's what's happened now and, guess what, it didn't work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53105642

I meant to post this a while ago... this is an example of what you get in South Korea (translated using wechat from a screenshot, so obviously inaccurate):

91F71DA2-8F25-4987-A059-00193B205D36.jpeg

So obviously this isn't the tracking app itself, this is the messaging they get via social media. This was 29th May, and I believe it's been in operation since the very early days of the crisis. I.e. this - multiple notifications every day about ongoing measures - is just one element of their policy. Specific, regional notices giving simple, relevant information. Probably too much of it - I know there have been some complaints. But y'know. It's there. It was implemented months ago.

I cannot get my head around the level of incompetence over here. I'm struggling to think of a single thing the government has done right. Even with fucking examples to work from.

Last edited:
I meant to post this a while ago... this is an example of what you get in South Korea (translated using wechat from a screenshot, so obviously inaccurate):

So obviously this isn't the tracking app itself, this is the messaging they get via social media. This was 29th May, and I believe it's been in operation since the very early days of the crisis. I.e. this - multiple notifications every day about ongoing measures - is just one element of their policy. Specific, regional notices giving simple, relevant information. Probably too much of it - I know there have been some complaints. But y'know. It's there. It was implemented months ago.

I cannot get my head around the level of incompetence over here. I'm struggling to think of a single thing the government has done right. Even with fucking examples to work from.

But people have made it very clear here that they resent that level of government monitoring and communication, so while there have been huge failings, I'm not sure how workable or relevant that system would have been here.

But people have made it very clear here that they resent that level of government monitoring and communication, so while there have been huge failings, I'm not sure how workable or relevant that system would have been here.

Yeah, those Koreans who are so trusting in their government they put the last president in jail for 25 years.

Yeah, I was just thinking that this thread provided a fair assessment of the issues and, lo, the predictions on here came to pass....
Missed his name but there was someone on R4 earlier from King's(?) who's been involved in their symptom tracker. He was asked in the interview if the issues with the government tracker could've been predicted at the start and he said yes.
Of course.

I think, given a difficult engineering challenge, there are a few possibilities:

a) there is a solid technical answer but it could fail in practice because of non-engineering (e.g. social) issues like uptake or availability or privacy concerns, so build it and find out
b) there might be a theoretical technical answer but it could fail in practice because of real world practicalities, and you can only find out by large scale experimentation, so build it and find out
c) there might be a theoretical technical answer but it is very likely or certain to fail in practice because of real world practicalities, so don't take it seriously
d) there is no viable technical solution at all, don't bother

In my opinion the best hope, the Apple/Google element of this thing, was always a dollop of (a) but mostly (b) and (c), a bit of a longshot. The UK government's and its suppliers' approach was always and has been mostly (c) and (d), an objectively/scientifically predictable failure. I think most people involved will have known it too.

Yeah, those Koreans who are so trusting in their government they put the last president in jail for 25 years.

Don't get what that has to do with anything, it was a comment on people in the UK not agreeing to that level of monitoring and contact from the government. I mean there's been plenty on here saying they wouldn't even answer the phone to the T&T system, and that's been born out in reality from what I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom