Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK coronavirus tracking app - discussion

Will you be using the NHS coronavirus tracking app

• Total voters
I half like that post - the second bit.

As for the first bit, seeing the government as a monolithic entity with all the same motives is too simplistic I think. There's competing and contradictory elements within it, and to think nothing but the worst of it all means that if you went by that then nobody within it would have any concern at all for preventing deaths or infections, which is clearly not true. What you're saying just makes me think you've got some cartoon hedge fund Tory who's just counting the money to be made in your head whereas the reality is much more nuanced than that.

No: I've got Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings in my head.

I'm not against the principle of using an app that will actually be of some real use and not leave my data floating about in murky waters. But I don't trust the fucking Tories, I don't trust their judgement in this and I don't trust the developers.

I'll be honest I don't trust the local NHS trust. When my mum got her 'Stage 4 cancer sorry we missed it.' The only slick bit of the operation was how quick we got unsolicited sales calls from funeral directors.

Yeah, under those circumstances my phone will be dead in a few hours as well.

The kids aren't going to have that either. They're already pissed about all this and they're not going to have an app that wipes the battery on their phone. It strikes me that it may well be uninstalled at a rate of knots. Maybe the government could set a target of 200,000 uninstalls a day?

Does anyone know the performance of the apps that have been used in other countries? South Korea for example?

The NHS’s contact-tracing app will fail unless sufficient numbers of Android phone users sign up, experts who have examined its trial use on the Isle of Wight have said.

They say NHSX, the digital arm of the health service, is relying on an “Android herd immunity” strategy to overcome shortcomings in the app. A critical mass of Android users will be required to ensure iPhone owners remain covered by the app’s contact-tracing ability. If not enough Android users are in any given community, iPhones will eventually stop broadcasting the signals required for the app to work.

“The workarounds NHSX on both iOS and Android are using to create a centralised database seem to be fragile, disruptive to users and risk apps not registering contacts when they should,” said Michael Veale, a privacy expert at UCL.

After reading this thread I am less warm about installing this app.

I am not even sure that I could try it and uninstall it if my suspicions are founded.

Is it possible to make an app that one can't uninstall?

Why could they not write it such that a Bluetooth signal woke it?
After all an incoming call or text wakes a phone.

Wouldn't this app require you to have your bluetooth not just switched on, but accessible to all devices? I have mine accessible to only very specific devices (my own TV, basically) because the last time I had it switched on to open to every device and went out in public, when I'd just got the phone and hadn't finished setting it up, I got sent loads of random dick pics (and that was in a GP waiting room). I don't think this is an uncommon problem for women. There's a reason to switch all-access bluetooth off even if you have a phone with a great battery.

Or will it somehow only allow unknown users to broadcast via this app? I guess that's possible, but since the developers are having problems even making the app run in the background, I'd be surprised.

Needing the phone to be on and unlocked would mean that a phone thief would have access to everything on your phone.

Plenty are happening already. Many people are already getting by thanks to local mutual aid organisations which sprang up overnight with zero impetus or support from central or local government. Everyone who has confined themselves to quarters because they suspect they have the virus has ultimately done so of their own volition. If people were waiting for either a confirmed diagnosis or actual legal compulsion to stay home then all the sick people would still be roaming around spreading the virus. 'Lockdown' is to all intents and purposes a voluntary, decentralised phenomenon in this country. The government only made quasi-official what increasing numbers of people were doing anyway. Their input has been a set of arbitrary, often contradictory, sometimes utterly absurd rules which exist only on paper and which serve little purpose except to make it look like they're responsible for the changes in behaviour which have finally started reducing the death rate.

Yep - even in That London people have been really proactive in offering help of all kinds.

NHS tracing app in question as experts assess Google-Apple model
Swiss firm hired to test mainstream software despite launch of go-it-alone system

Tim Bradshaw, Sarah Neville and Helen Warrell in London
YESTERDAY

Health chiefs in the UK have tasked a team of software developers to “investigate” switching its unique contact-tracing app to the global standard proposed by Apple and Google, signalling a potential about-turn just days after the NHS launched its new coronavirus app.

The UK has, alongside France, been one of the most prominent countries to turn down the offer of technical assistance from Apple and Google, who are working with health authorities in several European countries including Germany and Italy to build contact-tracing technology into their mobile operating systems.

The UK’s decision to go it alone has been criticised by privacy campaigners and technologists, who say the app will be less effective than incorporating Apple and Google’s software, while also gathering too much personal information in a central database. It has also raised concerns about whether the UK app will be compatible with those under development by other countries which are using the Apple and Google model. If not, this could present barriers for Britons travelling abroad in the future.

Contract documents obtained by Tussell, a data provider on UK government contracts and expenditure, and shared with the Financial Times, show that the London office of Zuhlke Engineering, a Switzerland-based IT development firm, has been awarded a new multimillion pound contract by NHSX, the state-funded health service’s digital innovation arm. The six-month contract to develop and support the Covid-19 contact tracing app is worth £3.8m and was due to begin on Wednesday, the documents show.

The contract includes a requirement to “investigate the complexity, performance and feasibility of implementing native Apple and Google contact tracing APIs [application programming interfaces] within the existing proximity mobile application and platform”. The work is described as a “two week timeboxed technical spike”, suggesting it is still at a preliminary phase, but with a deadline of mid-May. An application programming interface is the means by which software developers access certain functions of a device’s operating system.

An NHSX official said: “We've been working with Apple and Google throughout the app's development and it's quite right and normal to continue to refine the app.”

Downing Street has been tracking developments in Australia, which like the UK has developed its own contact-tracing app without Apple and Google software, but has now run into technical difficulties. One person close to the NHS development process said British officials had been concerned when Germany, which had also been developing its own app, suddenly reverted to the Apple and Google-assisted model last month, leaving Britain more of an outlier within Europe.

The new NHS smartphone app, which many see as a vital component in lifting lockdown restrictions on people’s movement during the pandemic, began testing this week on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England, ahead of a planned nationwide rollout in the coming weeks.

The initial version of the UK app, which was developed by Zuhlke in conjunction with Silicon Valley-based firm Pivotal, takes a unique approach to Bluetooth-based tracking that gathers data in a central NHS database, which the government says will allow researchers to better understand the spread of Covid-19.

As well as potentially infringing on privacy, some app developers have questioned whether the NHS app will work effectively, due to restrictions that Apple and Google place on iOS and Android apps using Bluetooth constantly, which can drain a device’s battery more quickly.

One person familiar with the NHS testing process said that its app was able to work in the background in most cases, except when two iPhones were locked and left unused for around 30 minutes, without any Android devices coming within 60m of the devices. Bringing an Android device running the NHS app close to the iPhone would “wake up” its Bluetooth connection, this person said.

Switching to Google and Apple’s contact technology would avoid such issues but are likely to mean the UK has to abandon its centralised database, which representatives of the two tech companies have indicated is incompatible with their “decentralised” approach.

Spokespeople for Zuhlke and Pivotal referred requests for comment to the NHS.

Additional reporting by George Parker in London

More on iOS BT LE and iPhones not wanting to play ball.
Summary of the Problem in layman’s terms:
For the app to record that 2 people were in close contact, both must have the app installed and at least one of them MUST have it open in the foreground of their phone. If neither of them have the app open and on screen, then no contact will be recorded as having taken place.

I wonder if the IoW trial really is a trial and they could reverse and adopt the google apple solution still? I think more likely gov has set their position in stone and won't accept change requirements.

From what people have posted in this thread it does seem the app is hardly fit for purpose. My initial thoughts were that I would probably install the app and do my bit for killing off coronavirus, but after reading this thread I now think I probably won't install it as it will likely disable my phone by killing the battery life!

It's possible they are using location data to check that you're on the island though. The blog post from Ian levy of the NCSC states:

The app doesn’t have any personal information about you, it doesn't collect your location and the design works hard to ensure that you can’t work out who has become symptomatic.

So he's either lying or those app permissions are only for this test version.

Full blog post here:

NHS tracing app in question as experts assess Google-Apple model
Swiss firm hired to test mainstream software despite launch of go-it-alone system

Tim Bradshaw, Sarah Neville and Helen Warrell in London
YESTERDAY

Health chiefs in the UK have tasked a team of software developers to “investigate” switching its unique contact-tracing app to the global standard proposed by Apple and Google, signalling a potential about-turn just days after the NHS launched its new coronavirus app.

The UK has, alongside France, been one of the most prominent countries to turn down the offer of technical assistance from Apple and Google, who are working with health authorities in several European countries including Germany and Italy to build contact-tracing technology into their mobile operating systems.

The UK’s decision to go it alone has been criticised by privacy campaigners and technologists, who say the app will be less effective than incorporating Apple and Google’s software, while also gathering too much personal information in a central database. It has also raised concerns about whether the UK app will be compatible with those under development by other countries which are using the Apple and Google model. If not, this could present barriers for Britons travelling abroad in the future.

Contract documents obtained by Tussell, a data provider on UK government contracts and expenditure, and shared with the Financial Times, show that the London office of Zuhlke Engineering, a Switzerland-based IT development firm, has been awarded a new multimillion pound contract by NHSX, the state-funded health service’s digital innovation arm. The six-month contract to develop and support the Covid-19 contact tracing app is worth £3.8m and was due to begin on Wednesday, the documents show.

The contract includes a requirement to “investigate the complexity, performance and feasibility of implementing native Apple and Google contact tracing APIs [application programming interfaces] within the existing proximity mobile application and platform”. The work is described as a “two week timeboxed technical spike”, suggesting it is still at a preliminary phase, but with a deadline of mid-May. An application programming interface is the means by which software developers access certain functions of a device’s operating system.

An NHSX official said: “We've been working with Apple and Google throughout the app's development and it's quite right and normal to continue to refine the app.”

Downing Street has been tracking developments in Australia, which like the UK has developed its own contact-tracing app without Apple and Google software, but has now run into technical difficulties. One person close to the NHS development process said British officials had been concerned when Germany, which had also been developing its own app, suddenly reverted to the Apple and Google-assisted model last month, leaving Britain more of an outlier within Europe.

The new NHS smartphone app, which many see as a vital component in lifting lockdown restrictions on people’s movement during the pandemic, began testing this week on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England, ahead of a planned nationwide rollout in the coming weeks.

The initial version of the UK app, which was developed by Zuhlke in conjunction with Silicon Valley-based firm Pivotal, takes a unique approach to Bluetooth-based tracking that gathers data in a central NHS database, which the government says will allow researchers to better understand the spread of Covid-19.

As well as potentially infringing on privacy, some app developers have questioned whether the NHS app will work effectively, due to restrictions that Apple and Google place on iOS and Android apps using Bluetooth constantly, which can drain a device’s battery more quickly.

One person familiar with the NHS testing process said that its app was able to work in the background in most cases, except when two iPhones were locked and left unused for around 30 minutes, without any Android devices coming within 60m of the devices. Bringing an Android device running the NHS app close to the iPhone would “wake up” its Bluetooth connection, this person said.

Switching to Google and Apple’s contact technology would avoid such issues but are likely to mean the UK has to abandon its centralised database, which representatives of the two tech companies have indicated is incompatible with their “decentralised” approach.

Spokespeople for Zuhlke and Pivotal referred requests for comment to the NHS.

Additional reporting by George Parker in London

Still, the important thing is we were able to give loads of money to a bunch of spivs for inventing something that doesn't work before this inevitable u-turn.

I know a little bit about Zuhlke. They're a proper software engineering consultancy company, at least.

Back
Top Bottom