Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tout exposed Mark 'Stone/Kennedy' exposed as undercover police officer

Question now has to be who else is out there, and how many? 10? 20? More? It can't be that many due to the logistics and cost. But this sort of things certainly inflames any underlying suspicions you might have about the veracity of someone within a group.

I believe the Official Secrets Act would apply, and I suspect this will have been drawn to his attention.

The official secrets act applies when you temp at the post office - I can see no reason why it wouldnt apply here.

Fascinating story. Really must sting for those that had been close to him. A couple of lessons to be learned (primarily, if someone has loads of cash they are willing to put toward the "cause", this could be an indicator of undercover...). Interesting to see him so confused now. He must have genuinely liked the people he was spying on.

This guy must be totally frazzled, he's betrayed everyone (friends, girlfriends, his wife and kids) and now seemingly he's betraying his employer and whatever oaths coppers have to take.

Obviously I've got no sympathy but he must feel completly fucked, where does he go from here?

The official secrets act applies when you temp at the post office - I can see no reason why it wouldnt apply here.

The Official Secrets Act applies whoever you are and whatever you are doing in the UK. The act of signing it is merely a reminder.

he must feel completly fucked, where does he go from here?

Back to the receiving end with the rest of us...

340x.jpg

Allegedly, he is out of the country. I wonder if he has been given a new identity to protect/hide him and, if so, whether that will now be revealed since he has, seemingly, turned against his employers.

Im not suprised he's had a 'crisis' of faith.

He spent years enthusiasticlly shagging, partying and necking class As inbetween the odd bit of activism - and all the while getting paid for it.

During that time he became a close friend to many people in the scene, went on climbing holidays with them and had at least two serious long term girlfriends. You cant do that sort of thing without it becoming 'real' in some way - without seeing this people as your actual mates and lovers. (And he did come accross as a genuninely warm and friendly bloke).

Everynow and then he goes back to his 'real' life of routine domesticity and his charming police mates. And then betrays his supposedly 'pretend' freinds, comrades and lovers to his handlers.

How can you get that involved without being affected?

If your working in a way where you could convine your self that you were genuinely protecting society from serious violence and death then its easier to justify playing judas to yourself.

But if your deciveing and betraying people who love you in order to prevent them biulding treehouses in threatened woodland, glueing up the locks of a corporate office or dropping a banner of a cooling tower...?

That must really fuck with your head. Even if your a copper.

it's shocking... I still can't believe this story. how did the people who decided this would be an okay idea ever reach the decision that this was an okay idea. it's insane

i just read about this, fascinating stuff. bloke must be proper mixed up.

always assume there's a copper present. we know from experience and hindsight that they are everywhere on the activism scene.

grounds for appeal for the 20 convicted, i'd have thought.

That's what I thought when I first heard about it... but:

They admitted planning to shut down the power station but denied the charge they faced, using a defence of "necessity".

Guardian report of verdict (my emphasis)

The judge clearly thought that defence had more more weight than the jury gave it:

judge Jonathan Teare said:
[the public may consider this sentencing] "impossibly lenient"...

You are all decent men and women with a genuine concern for others, and in particular for the survival of planet Earth in something resembling its present form...

I have no doubt that each of you acted with the highest possible motives. And that is an extremely important consideration...

here

it's shocking... I still can't believe this story. how did the people who decided this would be an okay idea ever reach the decision that this was an okay idea. it's insane

What is shocking is that people assume this is an isolated case. The state have loads of police infiltrating groups up and down the country.

There was a documentary some years back that included stuff about the special branch infiltrating in order to 'prevent subversion' featuring a couple of interviews with fairly extreme cops who did not try to hide their contempt for the lefties they were spying on. The documentary was trying to suggest that the police etc had closed down their anti-subversion units in more recent times as it wasnt needed anymore, this stuff was al in the past, but such conclusions lacked credibility in my eyes. Its possible they rebranded and dont use the term subversion as much these days, but its pretty obvious that the state is still going to take an interest in these things.

i just read about this, fascinating stuff. bloke must be proper mixed up.

always assume there's a copper present. we know from experience and hindsight that they are everywhere on the activism scene.

Yep - especially anything to do with direct action; the important thing is to be reasonably cool about it imo, wandering around constantly paranoid about all your friends or colleagues is worse than being naive and assuming everything's ok. Anyone involved in DA should assume that they will be busted anyway at some point and should assume that much of what they are up to will be monitored.

If I was involved in this kind of surveillance (ie that which crosses the line to agent provocateur status) I would think the biggest and easiest win would be to spread distrust and discord within groups.

I think it's worth reiterating that it would be easy to check someone's background if in doubt.

e.g. a visit to their home town to meet their old school mates and family would be in order.

What is shocking is that people assume this is an isolated case. The state have loads of police infiltrating groups up and down the country.

this case seemed verging on pointless though, in terms of the use of having him as a tout for so long. 250k for such a case seems a little ott to me.

Not a popular viewpoint, but i have a degree of sympathy for him. His reaction to what happened showed imo that he'd rather have not been in the police in the first place. A far more hardnosed agent would have just fucked off and not even bothered about the consequences. I hope those who were betrayed by him can find space for forgiveness.

Not a popular viewpoint, but i have a degree of sympathy for him. His reaction to what happened showed imo that he'd rather have not been in the police in the first place. A far more hardnosed agent would have just fucked off and not even bothered about the consequences. I hope those who were betrayed by him can find space for forgiveness.

That's a warm view.

Sadly, I think it's more of a case that he's shiteing himself at the repercussions from certain quarters.

Back
Top Bottom