Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Long term plan for the NHS

gosub

~#
So regardless of whats actually in it ...is it a tacit admission it would two administrative sessions to put right what has gone wrong due to previous changes...of which ruling party has had a decades hand in...

Just seen this (responding to Peston complaining about even getting the phone answered at his NHS surgery)

Isn't Peston being a tiny bit inaccurate with facts here? Were I to phone GP today to ask for an appointment, and even with me saying "no worry, nothing massively urgent, just can I arrange an appointment please?", I think the receptionist person would then say "oh well, then. Wednesday at X time, or Thursday at X or Y time, or Friday at X or Y time ..."

I have difficulty in believing that he cannot have a GP appointment within a month. Great difficulty.

Does "The Honourable Robert Peston" rely on the NHS anyway?

Just seen this (responding to Peston complaining about even getting the phone answered at his NHS surgery)

Oh! Great idea, that one! You pay €25 for an appointment. "No time wasters"? :hmm: Well, yes, there *will* be some, those to whom €25 is tiny money.

There will also be a lot of people not able to afford to see a GP. There might be horrible useless dimwits who want a doctor every time they have a tiny sniffly sneezy cold, and they can go to hell, but it might be unwise to render healthcare unaffordable to people.

I suppose untreated diseases might spread, possibly. Nah! Obviously the privateers have thought that one through. Surely?

:eek::eek::eek:

Sorry what are you trying to say? You agree/disagree with Peston, with the reply, what?
I agree with Peston that it is impossible to engage with your local surgery at the moment. Mine has been on triage for the last five years. You typically have to wait 5 days for a doctor to phone you between 11 am and 9 pm in Sainsburys to determine if you need treatment,

This is crap.

Oh! Great idea, that one! You pay €25 for an appointment. "No time wasters"? :hmm: Well, yes, there *will* be some, those to whom €25 is tiny money.

There will also be a lot of people not able to afford to see a GP. There might be horrible useless dimwits who want a doctor every time they have a tiny sniffly sneezy cold, and they can go to hell, but it might be unwise to render healthcare unaffordable to people.

I suppose untreated diseases might spread, possibly. Nah! Obviously the privateers have thought that one through. Surely?

:eek::eek::eek:
Do they still have contact tracers for syphilis then? Somehwat doubt this has survived 30 years of cuts.
I'm not advocating for the French system of GPs - but I had heard before that French GPs are virtually sitting at the door waiting for customers.
My GP surgery has more ancillary staff than doctors and nurses. Their job seems to be to prevent patients ever seeing a doctor!

Do they still have contact tracers for syphilis then? Somehwat doubt this has survived 30 years of cuts.
I'm not advocating for the French system of GPs - but I had heard before that French GPs are virtually sitting at the door waiting for customers.
My GP surgery has more ancillary staff than doctors and nurses. Their job seems to be to prevent patients ever seeing a doctor!
I have no idea about syphilis.

I am really not sure where this arrived in the discussion.

I thought it was about how to have an appointment with your GP.

Last edited:
Isn't Peston being a tiny bit inaccurate with facts here? Were I to phone GP today to ask for an appointment, and even with me saying "no worry, nothing massively urgent, just can I arrange an appointment please?", I think the receptionist person would then say "oh well, then. Wednesday at X time, or Thursday at X or Y time, or Friday at X or Y time ..."

I have difficulty in believing that he cannot have a GP appointment within a month. Great difficulty.

Does "The Honourable Robert Peston" rely on the NHS anyway?
Different GP practices have different pressures on them. I can usually get an appointment within a week at my local practice, my mum has just arranged an appointment at hers for a fairly urgent thing and she has to wait until the end of the month.

I understand the situation in London (where Peston presumably lives) is a raging skip fire, so I totally believe he can't get an appointment this month.

It's good that the honourable Robert Peston relies on the NHS. everyone should.

They want to wittle away its substance, wittle away its resources and more than anything, wittle away its political support from the vast majority of the population.

Perhaps a tougher task than they anticipated.

I have lived here for five years now, have used my GP once for a stop smoking course, saw me the next day (I was busy the day I called), a neck lump for which I called at 9am and had a 10am appointment and cellulitis (didn't know it was that at the time of the call), I called at 1pm and got an appointment at 2pm. Frau Bahn has had the same experience for her and the kids.

Peston's doctors probably just don't want to see him cos he's an insufferably smug prick.

They want to wittle away its substance, wittle away its resources and more than anything, wittle away its political support from the vast majority of the population.

Perhaps a tougher task than they anticipated.

The last one of those is a tough task, yes! :):thumbs:

I have no idea about syphilis.
I am really not sure where this arrived in the discussion.
I thought it was about how to have an appointment with your GP.
"Untreated diseases" you said.

In several surgeries in Lambeth where I live an appointment only means a phone call from these days.

So on one hand: If we want NHS staff to care for us, we need to care for them | Mark Britnell

and 9 years previously on the other hand: In 2010, while discussing British health reforms at a healthcare industry conference in the USA, Britnell was quoted as stating: "In future, The NHS will be a state insurance provider not a state deliverer", and that "The NHS will be shown no mercy and the best time to take advantage of this will be in the next couple of years."
Mark Britnell - Wikipedia
ETA: CUUUUNNNTTT!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Here's another one - unless you opt-out by the 23rd of June, medical records in england are going to be "centralised" for "research" that I'm sure will be nothing to do with privatisation. We apparently have until the 23rd of June to submit forms (linked to in the article) to opt out of this happening.

The 55 million citizens of England will need to opt out of the involuntary scheme before it is introduced to prevent the entire history of their GP visits being slurped, campaigners told us. Opt-out forms are here [.docx]. We understand you will need to give this form to your GP practice before 23 June.

According to an official announcement on the NHS Digital website, data held in GP medical records will be collected via a new service called the General Practice Data for Planning and Research data collection. It will replace the General Practice Extraction Service (GPES), which has operated for over 10 years.

The new service comes with a broadened remit: the data will be used to "support the planning and commissioning of health and care services, the development of health and care policy, public health monitoring and interventions (including COVID-19) and enable many different areas of research."

I'm still trying to make sense of the details, but so far it seems to be to print out this form (DOCX format), sign it fill it in and hand in to your surgery.

This one is in addition to the previous opt-out apparently.
From that form it's "personally identifiable patient data". Cunts no I don't want that to be shared with (particularly US) companies. :mad:

This is the NHS page linked in the article. Finding it a bit confusing so will try and re-read it tomorrow once I've had some sleep. Suprised I've not heard anything anywhere else about this, am I living under a rock right now or has it been the same for everyone else?

Surely this is not GDPR compliant?

It's touched on in the article and comments, but GDPR has truck-sized holes in it when it comes to government meddling sadly. They've said this falls under "significant national interest" and is thus exempt, in the same way that any and all medical data considered COVID-related has been declared exempt.

The reg article was the first I'd heard of this specific data grab; the date on the article shows it was last edited on the 12th of May (so possibly published then, don't know for sure).

oh no when was this? I don't remember opting out to anything but I'm sure I would have given the chance :(
Three or four years ago as I recall. It did actually register with my GP because I mentioned that I'd done it to my doctor and she said that she could see that I had.

Back
Top Bottom