Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tooting news, rumours, chat, things to do

Merton Abbey Mills is just down in Colliers Wood. It’s 10 mins on the bus. It’s a nice walk round there, with the old waterwheels and so on plus there are art workshops and some decent coffee.

I think you can get the tube a couple of stops to Morden Hall Park which is a National Trust park and very pretty.

Just wandering round Tooting market is quite entertaining.

St George's is my mum's local hospital and they've always looked after her well.

I was told by a passenger this week that Tooting market, as a market, is no more. It's now cafes and eateries. so I'm going to go down next week after work and have a look around.

Hope your dad's getting better purenarcotic

This is an amazing building, just round the corner in Garratt Lane. Yes, you can just walk in off the street, I have done so several times. Unfortunately, I think
the outside is covered in scaffolding at the moment, but inside still fine. Granada Tooting: A neo-renaissance cinema masquerading as a bingo hall
It is right opposite Tooting Library, not the greatest library in the world, but hey.
There are many resturants/caffs in St G.s. The main one one the first floor (?) has rolling news on television.

Hope dad is home soon.

I was told by a passenger this week that Tooting market, as a market, is no more. It's now cafes and eateries. so I'm going to go down next week after work and have a look around.

Hope your dad's getting better purenarcotic
I was there in the summer and it was much as it has been for a while, a few eateries but mostly the same odd collection of Indian jewellery, animal parts and fortune tellers.

This weekend:

tootopia.jpg

Tootopia- a free end of summer festival – arrives in Tooting this weekend, 20th-22nd Sept 2019

Nice to see it coincides with London Open House when the beautiful old bingo hall will officially be open.

Last edited:
The Wetherspoons opposite the station is pretty scuzzy, a drinkers place where your feet stick to the floor.
The Castle up the High Street by the market is much nicer and more relaxed.

My daughter is in Tooting - what should she see?

Possibly the scuzziest spoons i know, woe betide the individual who thinks it s a good idea to order food in there (bit like the Peckham spoons). The Castle is full of bellends. I'd rather drink in the Mayfair, a no frills Irish pub- just dont expect any natural light as there are no windows ;)

Tooting has got a crater named it on Mars!

Tooting crater was named in 2006. How did this seemingly down-to-earth neighbourhood find its way onto the Martian atlas? Astronomical features are usually named by their discoverers. In this case, the 17.4 mile-wide crater was first spotted by Pete Mouginis-Mark, an astronomer who grew up in Tooting.

The crater lies close to an old river valley, which supposedly reminded the astronomer of Tooting Bec. "I thought my mum and brother would get a kick out of having their home town paired with a land form on Mars," he told the BBC at the time.

tooting.jpg

Speaking of Tooting, I gather everywhere has worked very hard at removing homeless people from the streets. I get those two people are still on the bench outside the library.

I lived in Tooting for a number of years, it's my favourite area in London to live in (I'm not from London). I had myself fixed up surgically twice at St.Georges, played in a band, did sex and drugs and rock n roll on Tooting Common (not all at once). Food highlights (and there are a lot) were Suvai Aruvi in Colliers Wood (Sri Lankan) and
Lahore Korai (Pakistani) next to the Broadway market, both top 1% best curries in London (if still there and still as good). The market's nice too and basically you can eat and get dressed up really well in Tooting for not much money.

It's not that exciting, i suppose that's why it's a nice place to live. There used to be two? cinemas and a dog track, and the Bill was filmed around there, which was fun to see.

First thing I did in Tooting, when i was a hip young thing, was go and do a citizen Smith fist pump outside Tooting Broadway station. :oops::facepalm:

I also did this on my first arrival .. doesn't everyone? :thumbs:

I lived in Tooting for a number of years, it's my favourite area in London to live in (I'm not from London). I had myself fixed up surgically twice at St.Georges, played in a band, did sex and drugs and rock n roll on Tooting Common (not all at once). Food highlights (and there are a lot) were Suvai Aruvi in Colliers Wood (Sri Lankan) and
Lahore Korai (Pakistani) next to the Broadway market, both top 1% best curries in London (if still there and still as good). The market's nice too and basically you can eat and get dressed up really well in Tooting for not much money.

It's not that exciting, i suppose that's why it's a nice place to live. There used to be two? cinemas and a dog track, and the Bill was filmed around there, which was fun to see.

I also did this on my first arrival .. doesn't everyone? :thumbs:
We went to the Lahore today for a take away- top grub as always although it has been poshed up C0367F9E-7DD6-4B88-B497-5D7FE791DB21.jpeg
You might not recognise it

We went to the Lahore today for a take away- top grub as always although it has been poshed up View attachment 262555
You might not recognise it

oh, wow, haven't been down the high st. for a while. Looks good. That is one of the best value for money food establishments in the world! Used to love the grumpy waiters too. Hope they'll still be there when we're allowed to sit in again.

That place gave me savage food poisoning once. That aside, not the best curry restaurant in the area, but good if you fancy BYOB curry.
No risk to me I’m veggie and go to Saravanaa Bhavan opposite for a South Indian thali and then Lahore for the meat eaters in the house - take it all home. If we are eating in we take turns as Lahore have good veggie options .

Speaking of Tooting, I gather everywhere has worked very hard at removing homeless people from the streets. I get those two people are still on the bench outside the library.

How very sad:

17 December 2014: Heartbreaking scenes in Tooting tonight as homeless Somali woman sits where bench was removed

4 January 2022: Mother dies after living on bench in front of Tooting Library for six years

5 January 2022: 'Queen of Tooting' who lived on bench outside library for 6 years dies of pneumonia

29221544-8387951-In_December_2014_they_were_hospitalised_because_of_the_cold_weat-a-4_1591286732617.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

The Late Hawa Abdi Sharige and her son, Muhyadin Gele, outside Tooting Library.

Back
Top Bottom