Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tooting news, rumours, chat, things to do

The funniest quote I heard (which really shouldn’t have been funny) was Vanessa Felz on Radio London talking about knife crime. A yoof phoned in and described how he had been stabbed. Vanessa listened in her usual empathetic and concerned way and asked where he had been stabbed (meaning in his body) and he said ‘up the Chicken Cottage.’

It's not. It's empty any time i pass it, there's much better on that road.
The one with the really long name beginning with S is fab we were there yesterday and there was a queue of mostly Indian families. Dawat next door was empty.

When the ancient Egyptians came to London they stayed in tooting common (tutankhamun) disclaimer, I'm drunk.
I was once involved in a campaign for a Tutankhamen psychopath (Tooting Common cycle path) but nobody else ever though my joke was funny.
There is a long standing story or urban myth of the American who came to London for the Tutankhamen exhibition. He jumped in a cab and asked for Tutankhamen- guess where he ended up

She could visit one of the numerous Indian grocery stores and marvel at the sheer variety of lentils on offer.

Reactions: ash
In the last months if her life my mother was admitted to St George's several times. Looking out the windows of the ward she would engage you in conversation about the outside world she could see which several times failed to match the dull reality that we perceived.

Tooting is a place best seen through the eyes of visionaries

I don't know, i don't see people drinking alcohol in the ones i eat in.

I like the booze free places better, less arseholes and drunk lads giving the staff grief.
Are there booze free ones in tooting? The only booze free one I've been to was in Bradford. I only eat out at a curry house when catching up with mates, so would prefer ones you can bring a bottle of wine to, instead of only being able to afford one overpriced Tiger beer

Are there booze free ones in tooting?
I havn't seen booze in the three or four places that i know, i'm pretty sure some do byob. They are not your average west end curry house for pissed up Londoners and stag do's.

Are there booze free ones in tooting? The only booze free one I've been to was in Bradford. I only eat out at a curry house when catching up with mates, so would prefer ones you can bring a bottle of wine to, instead of only being able to afford one overpriced Tiger beer
I havn't seen booze in the three or four places that i know, i'm pretty sure some do byob. They are not your average west end curry house for pissed up Londoners and stag do's.

A couple in Tooting have signs outside saying no alcohol - I think that is a relatively new phenomenon. I agree with sea lion that the best ones are booze free probably as they are focused on Indian customers who aren’t looking to drink with their meal. I’m quite happy to have an amazing meal without alcohol and got to the pub after.

First thing I did in Tooting, when i was a hip young thing, was go and do a citizen Smith fist pump outside Tooting Broadway station. :oops::facepalm:
As did I and my flatmate. And probably all our visitors did it at least once. I don't think we were all that hip, though, just easily amused and given to old telly nostalgia.

Just thought - didn't Thomas Hardy live in Tooting at some point? No matter - Citizen Smith definitely the most famous inhabitant.

In the last months if her life my mother was admitted to St George's several times. Looking out the windows of the ward she would engage you in conversation about the outside world she could see which several times failed to match the dull reality that we perceived.

Tooting is a place best seen through the eyes of visionaries
The Common was ok to wander in - grass, trees, pond, ducks, geese, dogs etc. I bet your mother's visions were better, though. I don't suppose you'd feel like making a great big art work of "Tooting as envisioned by Tim's Mum"?

Reactions: tim
As did I and my flatmate. And probably all our visitors did it at least once. I don't think we were all that hip, though, just easily amused and given to old telly nostalgia.

Just thought - didn't Thomas Hardy live in Tooting at some point? No matter - Citizen Smith definitely the most famous inhabitant.

here's a website that has tried to pull together all the Tooting celebrity links.
Tooting, Greater London, Cringing Cult of Celebrity

I did once see Prunella Scales and Timothy West looking at lawn mowers outside a shop in Tooting - not sure where they were living though. Couldn't have been too far away.

I misread that a bit, Sea Star, and was dead impressed about Tom Paine living there until I realised he didn't.

Zadie Smith pretty cool, though.

Other parts of London :D

Kidding aside, I don't really know what is in Tooting, but I think everyone should go to the Museum of London :oops:

Hi danny la rouge, sorry I am so late to the thread. I guess you would find Tooting a huge culture shock and am sorry that people have missed the best of it!
At Tooting Broadway, one must pay ones respect to Edward VII. From there, head just around the corner to the magnificent art deco Granada cinema. it is now
a bingo hall. I have just walked in off the street a couple of times to marvel at the architecture. I think the ages old institution and pie shop that is Kennedys is
worthy of a mention.
After that, take a stroll down Tooting High Street to Tooting Bec tube station to take in the vibes and atmosphere of this bustling place. From tooting Bec, head down
to the beautiful lido. Even if not going for a swim, it is worth checking out this beautiful, recently restored pool.
As already hinted at, there are many places along the way where you can get food or even a pint or a G&T.
Sadly, there are certainly one or two hipster cafes opening up.

My dad is currently in intensive care in St George’s and between 1 and 3 they don’t allow family in for ‘rest period’. This means I have two hours to kill before I can go back in to see him. Is there anything nearish to the hospital that I can do to kill time? Shops / museums etc?

Ta in advance.

Tooting market is nice, near tooting Broadway. Tooting Tram and Social is a pub worth going in to see the building itself. (not open till 5 though)

Back
Top Bottom