Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tommy Robinson, the court case and (guffaw) 'free speech'

O. Not normally keen to chip in with controversial opinions, but, I did feel a permanent ban was a bit harsh. While being in complete agreement that Cyril 's cartoon version of the press (and, tbf, not a hill I would die defending myself), I just think this is one of those Urban scenarios where it's easy and obvious to stake out a position and single out an uncomfortable participant. I really, really don't want to get into a massive bunfight here (I have a raging toothache) but, yah know, I kinda think a willingness to engage a bit more before doing the ban thing. Just makes me feel that Urban is not as tolerant of difference as I imagined.
Also, I do believe the CS had indeed been through some personal changes of opinion, even ithough obscured by a chippy, belligerence. Like a lot of my neighbours. I sort of feel this should be nurtured a wee bit.
And I also think this endless refusal to forgive past indiscretion or bad acts is one of the very worst things about Urban.
Apols, I hinestly feel a bit bad about this...even though I also contend CS is indeed something of a twat, i just feel he is not really horrible or irredeemable.

O. Not normally keen to chip in with controversial opinions, but, I did feel a permanent ban was a bit harsh. While being in complete agreement that Cyril 's cartoon version of the press (and, tbf, not a hill I would die defending myself), I just think this is one of those Urban scenarios where it's easy and obvious to stake out a position and single out an uncomfortable participant. I really, really don't want to get into a massive bunfight here (I have a raging toothache) but, yah know, I kinda think a willingness to engage a bit more before doing the ban thing. Just makes me feel that Urban is not as tolerant of difference as I imagined.
Also, I do believe the CS had indeed been through some personal changes of opinion, even ithough obscured by a chippy, belligerence. Like a lot of my neighbours. I sort of feel this should be nurtured a wee bit.
And I also think this endless refusal to forgive past indiscretion or bad acts is one of the very worst things about Urban.
Apols, I hinestly feel a bit bad about this...even though I also contend CS is indeed something of a twat, i just feel he is not really horrible or irredeemable.

was trying to show the fella that arguement

Yes, I know. I realise that and feel the coupling of SYL (a cunt of the very worst sort, obvs) and a simplistic and stereotyped view of the Fourth Estate is a bit unfortunate. I mostly just got the disdain for the media as an institution but I didn't see any defending Yaxley Lennon. I am not sure that this is also much, much worse because LD is both a woman (although I admit to hateful, hateful thoughts towards Laura Kuensberg). I honestly have nothing in defence of CS, just more of a kind of, I dunno, alarm at the speed and severity of a permaban.

Christ, losing any threads of coherence here and wishing I hadn't chirped up. Having difficulty stating exactly what surprised and, I suppose, vexed me somewhat.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. I realise that and feel the coupling of SYL (a cunt of the very worst sort, obvs) and a simplistic and stereotyped view of the Fourth Estate is a bit unfortunate. I mostly just got the disdain for the media as an institution but I didn't see any defending Yaxley Lennon. I am not sure that this is also much, much worse because LD is both a woman (although I admit to hateful, hateful thoughts towards Laura Kuensberg). I honestly have nothing in defence of CS, just more of a kind of, I dunno, alarm at the speed and severity of a permaban.

Christ, losing any threads of coherence here and wishing I hadn't chirped up. Having difficulty stating exactly what surprised and, I suppose, vexed me somewhat.

I think it's OK for you to feel and express what you describe as alarm at the speed and severity of a permaban.

I wasn't aware of Cyril Smear's previous incarnation, but they've long come across to me as at least a bit questionable in many of their posts. There was a bit more to it than chippy belligerence.

This time they failed to judge how far they could push it and dug too deep a hole they couldn't climb out of before it collapsed back on them.

Yeah, I know. I am not not specifically even defending CS so much as feeling a bit rattled at the very swift banning. I have been banned from a forum and was truly dismayed and upset, especially since CS had said he found value here, not just someone rocking up to be hateful. Anyway, I am now in too much pain to engage (off to the emergency dentist tomorrow).
I am not sure what you are saying @Ax but cba to defend myself from suggestions of dickishness.

Back
Top Bottom