Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

The Organic Gardening Catalogue currently* have a special offer on where you can buy ten packets of seed for £10, if anyone's interested.

* until midnight Sunday 24th September

The urban dictionary word of the day email delivers again:

I had memories of my grandad pulling up carrots, rinsing them under the tap and giving us one each to munch on as a snack.
This is the entirety of our carrot crop this year. It's a vast improvement on last year's crop of 2 orange stings but I think I'll not bother next year.
IMG_20231001_115409.jpg

Not a great apple harvest this year so far. A lot of my regular fruit donors have reported greatly reduced yields so hopefully what there is will be quality. Got a few late elderberries/blackberries yesterday that slightly makes up for the apples. The hedgerow plonk is already drinking nicely

IMG_5412.jpeg

Everything has grown, sort of weirdly, I was rather busy for a few weeks and there is stuff just everywhere, tomatoes (I think) that got too high, went sideways and started putting out roots again half way down. Pak Choy that actually looks like a real vegetable, some chinese cabbage that has gone insane, watercress has done so similarly etc. Will have to get some pictures as I need advise what to do with them and where, have plenty of bed space left but what is worth saving or transplanting is another thing. Even the corn has got surprisingly large (never grown shit before now so?) Needs some weeding first as nettles somehow got in and went bonkers too, at least I know the soil is good I guess?

Even if the whole lot gets scrapped and goes into compost its something I did that happened and I can do better now lol. Still have like 500l of compost, 4 foot square of topsoil and a load of apples to be composted plus load of mulch, also the echium are now getting pretty big for late planters.

20231008_183001.jpg20231008_183006.jpg20231008_183011.jpg20231008_183017.jpg
I have another bed the same size ready to go, is it worth separating any of this out, harvesting anything, leaving it for next year, removing things that are weeds I didn't notice etc etc lol. Have a framework for the very messed up tomato? could go in and more vertical room available. What's worth moving or should be, is that massively over sown Chinese lettuce patch worth eating? Is the watercress OK? Etc lol

View attachment 394780View attachment 394781View attachment 394782View attachment 394783
I have another bed the same size ready to go, is it worth separating any of this out, harvesting anything, leaving it for next year, removing things that are weeds I didn't notice etc etc lol. Have a framework for the very messed up tomato? could go in and more vertical room available. What's worth moving or should be, is that massively over sown Chinese lettuce patch worth eating? Is the watercress OK? Etc lol
What leaf is on the left in the bottom photo ? Sorrell ?

View attachment 394780View attachment 394781View attachment 394782View attachment 394783
Those sweetcorn and tomatoes won't do anything if they're only this size by now, rip them out and sow much earlier next year. They'll need space to grow vertically, those covers will only be any use when the plants are very young.

Cut out all the bit of pak choi (or something else in with the pak choi?) that are bolting.

Harvest the mizuna by cutting some whole plants off at ground level to give the rest more space.

Definitely deal with the weeds asap, especially docks and grasses.

Those sweetcorn and tomatoes won't do anything if they're only this size by now, rip them out and sow much earlier next year. They'll need space to grow vertically, those covers will only be any use when the plants are very young.

Cut out all the bit of pak choi (or something else in with the pak choi?) that are bolting.

Harvest the mizuna by cutting some whole plants off at ground level to give the rest more space.

Definitely deal with the weeds asap, especially docks and grasses.
What's the docks and grasses? I thought I weeded today and obviously failed lol. Corn and tomatoes will just die off I guess if I leave them? Thats a bugger. Is the watercress OK? Or just partial harvest mizuni, pak choy and the rest is compost? Should be chives and various other things but I made a mess of it really.

Getting things prepped for next one would be good. And not being an idiot with planting next time!

What's the docks and grasses? I thought I weeded today and obviously failed lol. Corn and tomatoes will just die off I guess if I leave them? Thats a bugger. Is the watercress OK? Or just partial harvest mizuni, pak choy and the rest is compost? Should be chives and various other things but I made a mess of it really.

Getting things prepped for next one would be good. And not being an idiot with planting next time!
Second pic lower right and most of the third and fourth pic? It's not that clear trying to zoom in on my phone screen but that's what they look like... There's a bit of what might be silverweed and something else I can't quite make out, too.

Try to get as much of the tap root out as possible if those are dockens, same with the rhizomes of any creeping grassy type weeds.

I wouldn't just leave the corn and toms to rot where they are, won't be much ventilation under those covers and you don't want mould issues.

Second pic lower right and most of the third and fourth pic? It's not that clear trying to zoom in on my phone screen but that's what they look like... There's a bit of what might be silverweed and something else I can't quite make out, too.

Try to get as much of the tap root out as possible if those are dockens, same with the rhizomes of any creeping grassy type weeds.

I wouldn't just leave the corn and toms to rot where they are, won't be much ventilation under those covers and you don't want mould issues.
Brilliant thanks, I planted things basically on the idea I just wanted things in the ground and made a lot of mistakes. Have another raised bed to put up and one with tops that open properly against a wall I can trellis so better for next year to grow tomatoes and maybe corn or similar at the front side without it. Everything is very loose soil/compost so will get the lot out if its useless. Covers are partially since it was mainly supposed to be a salady area but that went tits up. Been removing dandelions all over so familiar with the process. Idk much about the corn or tomatoes so if its best gone then its gone, still have huge amounts and stuff to plant and loads of space so hopefully get some more suited plants in and plan better for next year/etc. Also want to do three sisters and sweet potatoes/japanese if possible and have found what works and got eaten and what did not so a bit of a change in approach. Have to make sure I leave space for future stuff too. Have 2 or 3 big strawberry bagsm, potato bag and some other bits and potentially another bed going in since I have 500l of compost left over from a big order.

Have a huge amount of apples I am likely composting, any clue on what best to put with them? Got green matter, cardboard and loads of leaves which was best guess but its not an easily turnable setup as has a narrow lid.

We got some of the I think it was imperfectly perfect potatoes from wherever it was. Mostly tiny potatoes and some large ones, bought way too many since they were on offer (got like 5kg for £1.50 lol) but some have started to sprout since we didn't do a big cook lately. Can we plant these? I have a massive amount of planting space now thats all composted and enriched.

We got some of the I think it was imperfectly perfect potatoes from wherever it was. Mostly tiny potatoes and some large ones, bought way too many since they were on offer (got like 5kg for £1.50 lol) but some have started to sprout since we didn't do a big cook lately. Can we plant these? I have a massive amount of planting space now thats all composted and enriched.
You could try doing some as an experiment if you're able to keep them frost-free over the winter but they probably won't do much in the lower temps and sunlight hours. And I'd worry about blight under those plastic raised bed covers. Spring is the next good time to plant potatoes.

I know you're really enthusiastic about starting to grow stuff, but why not use this time of year the way most people do - to plan and prepare for the spring, so you'll be doing stuff at appropriate times next year and actually get a good harvest from what you grow.

You could try doing some as an experiment if you're able to keep them frost-free over the winter but they probably won't do much in the lower temps and sunlight hours. And I'd worry about blight under those plastic raised bed covers. Spring is the next good time to plant potatoes.

I know you're really enthusiastic about starting to grow stuff, but why not use this time of year the way most people do - to plan and prepare for the spring, so you'll be doing stuff at appropriate times next year and actually get a good harvest from what you grow.
Can open the covers and I have one thats a mesh cover but yeh I get it, was really trying to not waste stuff, can always experiement with some in each and see what happens but if its totally out of season I guess its just possibly a problem. Not sure what else to do with sprouted potatoes lol I don't have a garden shredder and we don't have food waste pickup here yet.

Have been mainly doing prep stuff and cutting back, been raking every time its dry to keep the grass and clover clear and add more leaves to the various piles. Bit reluctant to add food waste to it while there are rats about the place, they seem to ignore the apples for whatever reason. Leaves seem to be finally over looking at the trees, still have 700L of compost sat about waiting for my back to cope with sorting more beds out lol. It has timed itself with being unemployed so at a loose end garden wise, desperately need to get a new shed in but that requires £ I should not be spending on a shed currently and it is stuffed with machine and hand tools so there is little room to sort when its pissing down raining, this is why I wanted to move somewhere with more sun lol.

Not sure what else to do with sprouted potatoes lol I don't have a garden shredder and we don't have food waste pickup here yet.
Just pop the sprouts off and eat them unless they've been like that for weeks and weeks?

You could try sowing some quick winter salad stuff since it's probably still quite warm down your way, especially under cover. Garlic can be planted now too. And bare root plants - if you don't want to spend money you could try propagating cuttings from either any plants you have yourself, or friends/neighbours/local freecycle or facebook/etc. I could even send you some soft fruit (not sure of the varieties) cuttings if you'd like...

Just pop the sprouts off and eat them unless they've been like that for weeks and weeks?

You could try sowing some quick winter salad stuff since it's probably still quite warm down your way, especially under cover. Garlic can be planted now too. And bare root plants - if you don't want to spend money you could try propagating cuttings from either any plants you have yourself, or friends/neighbours/local freecycle or facebook/etc. I could even send you some soft fruit (not sure of the varieties) cuttings if you'd like...
Yeh we just cut whatever off and roasted as much as fitted in the oven, probably have to do more soon or so some mash to freeze for a future cottage pie. Is garlic worth doing from seed or can I just do it from store bought leftovers? Would love to get some soft fruit up, especially berries, again is this worth doing from seed? I feel if I can the cheapest method then I will do, tho I drew the line at blackberries as they get ridiculously hard to remove lately. Rather put in effort than buy ready to go stuff, have so much space it seems daft not to.

Yeh we just cut whatever off and roasted as much as fitted in the oven, probably have to do more soon or so some mash to freeze for a future cottage pie. Is garlic worth doing from seed or can I just do it from store bought leftovers? Would love to get some soft fruit up, especially berries, again is this worth doing from seed? I feel if I can the cheapest method then I will do, tho I drew the line at blackberries as they get ridiculously hard to remove lately. Rather put in effort than buy ready to go stuff, have so much space it seems daft not to.
Shop garlic will usually work but you obvs won't know what you're getting or how it will do in this climate or when is best to plant it.

Other than strawberries, lots of the more commonly grown berries aren't that widely available as seed afaik though you can probably find some somewhere. You'll be waiting two or three years for a lot of things to start to fruit though, doing it that way.

You can probably get some cuttings or strawberry runners for free (or local plant sales I'd expect to pay from 50p per plant up to maybe a fiver for a good healthy plant taken from cuttings a year ago) like I say, and thinking about it I have spare seed garlic due to being sent extra replacements after a minor order fuckup if you want some of that posted.

Actually would anyone be interested in doing a seed and/or cuttings swap this winter?

Lots of stuff like blackcurrants are incredibly easy to propagate via cuttings and they'll cope fine with being posted (I've eaten fruit from plants that spent weeks as abandoned twigs in the bottom of my fridge :oops:). Might be a nice way to try some new varieties or species without forking out nursery prices...

Having missed the pick your own season this year, I'm planning to buy a couple of blackcurrant bushes. But there seems to be a baffling number of varieties. Does anyone have any recommendations? For jam.

(iona - I'm too impatient to try cuttings!)

Having missed the pick your own season this year, I'm planning to buy a couple of blackcurrant bushes. But there seems to be a baffling number of varieties. Does anyone have any recommendations? For jam.

(iona - I'm too impatient to try cuttings!)
I'd consider your climate (do you get late frosts?); disease/pest resistance if you're aware of anything especially being a problem where you'll plant it; what size bushes you have space for; time of fruiting (no good missing most of the crop because you're away on holiday or too busy for picking and jam making); cropping period (longer is usually better but a heavier crop over a much shorter time will be better for jam); how heavily they crop and how easy they are to pick without loads of fiddly stalks to pick out.

Gardenfocused website will probably have some variety reviews and decent nursery websites should have good descriptions of each variety (Chris Bowers is good for this but I wouldn't buy from them now).

Or if you just want someone to make the decision for you, Ben Connan and Ben Sarek are both good.

You can literally poke cuttings in the ground somewhere where they won't get completely dry or overgrown in summer though and they'll just take care of themselves...

I'd consider your climate (do you get late frosts?); disease/pest resistance if you're aware of anything especially being a problem where you'll plant it; what size bushes you have space for; time of fruiting (no good missing most of the crop because you're away on holiday or too busy for picking and jam making); cropping period (longer is usually better but a heavier crop over a much shorter time will be better for jam); how heavily they crop and how easy they are to pick without loads of fiddly stalks to pick out.

Gardenfocused website will probably have some variety reviews and decent nursery websites should have good descriptions of each variety (Chris Bowers is good for this but I wouldn't buy from them now).

Or if you just want someone to make the decision for you, Ben Connan and Ben Sarek are both good.

You can literally poke cuttings in the ground somewhere where they won't get completely dry or overgrown in summer though and they'll just take care of themselves...
I'm not a keen enough gardener to work through that, so I will take the short cut thank you and buy one of the two you have mentioned. Both appear to be in stock at my local posh garden centre. It's a bit pricey but things I have bought there seem to flourish.

I'm not a keen enough gardener to work through that, so I will take the short cut thank you and buy one of the two you have mentioned. Both appear to be in stock at my local posh garden centre. It's a bit pricey but things I have bought there seem to flourish.
Not sure how much space you have but iirc both are fairly compact plants, Ben Sarek especially.

Don't be afraid to plant them slightly deeper than the previous soil level when you get them. It's recommended that you prune them right back straight after planting to encourage stronger growth in the following years, but that does mean you won't get fruit this summer (you can poke all these prunings into the ground or a pot to make new plants too - or give them to someone who can be bothered with cuttings!)

My runner beans are still putting out flowers which is very optimistic of them considering it’s November 😀
My tomatoes were still flowering (though it's too cold to set fruit) last time I checked! Still some fruit on the vines, I've been picking them as soon as they start to colour and letting them ripen indoors but I'll pick the rest this week and make chutney with the green ones.

The one surviving french bean in the polytunnel is still flowering and producing new pods too. Fucking rats took out all the dwarf french beans and the tall ones I was leaving to pod as dried beans - came in one morning and the bastards had gone full texas chainsaw massacre on the lot :mad: Still got runner beans in the lower polytunnel which I was leaving to dry too, probably ought to pull those now though and let them finish drying inside before the cunts trash those as well.

I was still picking broad beans at the start of the month!

Back
Top Bottom