Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Theresa May's time is up

someone I was talking to suggested a youngish ex military mp they've got coming through...ive forgotten his name. military discipline might be the only thing that could save them. I don't think anything can save them...they're in an impossible position of their own making. ha.
Well that certainly worked when IDS was leader

If the tories were the ruthless party of winners that seem to think they are they should boot out May and persuade Ruth Davidson to run. It would no doubt be an effective reboot - play to the softer 'all inclusive party' , allow clear blue water from the past and a softer rollback Brexit and I'm sure she would be an effective foil to the 'coming Corbyn landlside. So I hope that doesn't happen.
Ruth Davidson isn't an MP so unless you get someone in a safe Tory seat to either die or resign, triggering a by-election and then fast tracking her straight to Tory leadership, then she's got no chance.

Well that certainly worked when IDS was leader

Rory Stewart might be the military type in question. He's an old Etonian Arabist MP. Radio 4 broadcast a play "Occupational Hazard", based on his memoir about his spell fucking up Iraq as a latter day colonial administrator. The play was full of clichéd caricatures, and dodgy Arab, Scots and posh accents .

He really couldn't do worse as Tory leader than he did in Iraq, as history repeats itself as comedy rather than as tragedy.

Last edited:
Unlike most of the other ex-mili types in the PCP, Stewart is not at all dim, and all the more dangerous for it.
I wonder if they were thinking of the Ellwood (Green Jackets) who attempted to save the murdered Westminster cop? Surely not Mercer or Tugendhat who are both thick.

I have thought Graham Brady a likley future leader, his chairmanship of the 1922 committee stands him in good stead with the members.
He also enjoys a good rapport with the media.

I have thought Graham Brady a likley future leader, his chairmanship of the 1922 committee stands him in good stead with the members.
He also enjoys a good rapport with the media.

I am pretty sure that office precludes becoming party leader, a bit like how the Speaker won't ever be PM even when they stop Speaking.

Anyway he sounds far too affably well-spoken for the top job.

Ruth Davidson isn't an MP so unless you get someone in a safe Tory seat to either die or resign, triggering a by-election and then fast tracking her straight to Tory leadership, then she's got no chance.
Where is it written that leadership candidates must be HOC MPs? She could certainly sit in the Commons if she was awarded life peership and given a cabinet position (Peter Mandelson is the the precedent for this).

Where is it written that leadership candidates must be HOC MPs? She could certainly sit in the Commons if she was awarded life peership and given a cabinet position (Peter Mandelson is the the precedent for this).

I think it would publicly smack of desperation on their part; not to mention that the last time a PM came from the peers was way back in the 60s with Douglas-Home. For all of Davidson's supposed down-to-earth characteristics, I don't think it would play well with the public... where is the accountability via the constituency link?

I can't imagine she'd want it just at the moment, either. You'd have to be an absolute twat to want to step into the Tory leadership fray right now.

GOVE-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqaeycr6Qky6eqjGSg55ffnF_HaF37QRmAmmHXe2ei110.jpg

I am constantly reminded that if may goes, it's only a change of leader, not government. The Tory that replaces her is still a Tory. However much you polish a turd, it is still a turd.

I think many of the people calling for her to go have a hazy idea it could hasten a Labour govt, but without a full no confidence vote to trigger another GE I don't think that can happen now.

If anything, the path to a no confidence vote is more likely if May stays where she is than if someone else swoops in (unless perhaps that person was BoJo).

Word on the ground is most people expect her to stay for the two years of Brexit. I hope Labour are able to retain the current enthusiasm in that time.

It's not, it's just convention that the PM is (there have been exceptions), thus party leaders. But conventions can be broken, even exceptionally strong constitutional ones - eg when Irvine was given a cabinet job.

I think many of the people calling for her to go have a hazy idea it could hasten a Labour govt, but without a full no confidence vote to trigger another GE I don't think that can happen now.

If anything, the path to a no confidence vote is more likely if May stays where she is than if someone else swoops in (unless perhaps that person was BoJo).

Word on the ground is most people expect her to stay for the two years of Brexit. I hope Labour are able to retain the current enthusiasm in that time.
Exactly.

May won't resign because they won't let her.

They must be hoping that Labour will run out of steam.

We must not let that happen.

She's probably been told to, she broke it, she has to fix it.

Not doing too well with that fix imo.

how can they stop her from resigning? cameron fucked off straight away cos he couldn't be arsed with the brexit fallout - why doesn't may? I still think she will do one as soon as the queens speech been passed.

how can they stop her from resigning? cameron fucked off straight away cos he couldn't be arsed with the brexit fallout - why doesn't may? I still think she will do one as soon as the queens speech been passed.

It can't get any worse for her, can it? I think she'll stay on in the forlorn hope that it might get better. "Did nothing at all and still managed to fuck that up" isn't a great epitaph.

Exactly.

May won't resign because they won't let her.

They must be hoping that Labour will run out of steam.

We must not let that happen.

The only other thing o can think is that no-one in the Tory party wants to lead a minority govt in what would likely be pretty shit Brexit negotiations or to go straight to another election they'll lose. So they are making her stay so she can take all the blame and give them a chance in 2022. Seems a bit long term planning for power crazed ego maniacs but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom