Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

First day WFH since moving house. I'm on mobile broadband which isn't generally allowed, but it's so internet can be installed (finally) and I don't have to take it as holiday. The cats are being bonkers. I have to keep moving one from my keyboard.

It's not the day for it today, but does anyone work in the garden on nice days? I suspect I'd get frustrated just having my laptop screen and not my external monitors, but it does sound rather appealing.
I use a desktop machine with a big screen, etc.. so it's not really practical. However, my wife (who's happy on just a laptop screen) does whenever it's nice. She even got me to fabricate a folding shade thing for her. The only issue is the dog, who believes that if people are in the garden, they're there to play with him so he keeps throwing his kong at her.

First day WFH since moving house. I'm on mobile broadband which isn't generally allowed, but it's so internet can be installed (finally) and I don't have to take it as holiday. The cats are being bonkers. I have to keep moving one from my keyboard.

It's not the day for it today, but does anyone work in the garden on nice days? I suspect I'd get frustrated just having my laptop screen and not my external monitors, but it does sound rather appealing.
No I have too much hardware I would have to shift to make it remotely possible though if it is a nice day I will sit outside having my lunch. Mrs Q does though, I bought a WiFi extender that will extend it to the bottom of the garden and she will take her laptop and sit outside on a warm evening doing lesson plans and checking schoolwork. When she was doing her A Levels, Youngest would take her laptop and tablet and do the same.
I would look out the patio doors and see them sat together around the patio table.

I use a desktop machine with a big screen, etc.. so it's not really practical. However, my wife (who's happy on just a laptop screen) does whenever it's nice. She even got me to fabricate a folding shade thing for her. The only issue is the dog, who believes that if people are in the garden, they're there to play with him so he keeps throwing his kong at her.

Yes. That's what would totally happen with my dog. She will fetch a ball for hours if people keep throwing it for her.

I'd like to work in the garden more but I need access to my desktop PC and scanner most of the time. If I'm accessing just cloud-based data then I can use the laptop and will sit in the garden then.

Don’t have a garden but I need two monitors and given the type of work I shouldn’t be in a position to be overheard if I get calls from employees

Don’t have a garden but I need two monitors and given the type of work I shouldn’t be in a position to be overheard if I get calls from employees
I'm lucky to have a fairly large garden so it's unlikely I would be overheard if I was talking about confidential matters.

Thinking more about it, I actually have client meetings in my garden, more so since COVID and the possibility of being overheard has never been an issue.

Despite a hot desk set up at my place I always book the same desk as it has the nice screens and faces in the right direction.

Despite a hot desk set up at my place I always book the same desk as it has the nice screens and faces in the right direction.

Tends to be how they work usually, on the before times we all sat in the exact same place. It’s only with so many desks free people seem to float about more

Even in my old job which was shift based and ostensibly hot desk we all sat as much as possible in the same seats. The only people who rate hot desks are managers, people like where they sit and to make it comfy.

Reactions: MBV
Tends to be how they work usually, on the before times we all sat in the exact same place. It’s only with so many desks free people seem to float about more

Even in my old job which was shift based and ostensibly hot desk we all sat as much as possible in the same seats. The only people who rate hot desks are managers, people like where they sit and to make it comfy.

Yes. How else do you keep a draw full of food? :D

You get your own drawer??!

(We have lockers away from the desks)

Yes. Most of my colleagues keep cables and stuff, but I have food.

When I started the managed building had removed everything from the kitchen spaces so I asked the boss for a kettle, microwave and fridge and they are right behind my desk. I did bring in the cafetiere, but I've started putting the coffee for it on expenses and no one has said anything.

3rd day on the trot in the office for me + I’m coming in tomorrow too.

Thankfully I have a fixed desk even tho I’ve hardly been in for over 2 years :cool:

I was looking through my drawer earlier and forgot I had this in it.

Attachments

• 79071095-88B0-4447-8D0C-505BEB911E56.jpeg
    79071095-88B0-4447-8D0C-505BEB911E56.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 10
In today. Most of the payroll team in as people doing their annual review thingys. I didn’t have one as new but enjoyed getting to know the people from the other office, and also had a 30 minute informal chat with my line manager who works in the other office. Felt rather like the old way of working.

it's the informal chats that seem so hard to do remotely and can actually make life, let alone work life, a bit more enjoyable.
On my first day back on Tuesday I could hardly string 2 meaningful sentences together when chatting to people. Day 4 on the trot and I’m full of beans.

Also, and this is a bit disgusting. I’ve showered each morning, like you do, but it’s the first time I’ve showered for 4 days in a row for over 2 years.

you're not alone on that feeling I know. it's why I get annoyed at start-up types pushing fully remote working as the only way - that seems just as silly as forcing people to go into an office every day. flexibility and choice is they key I think.
The firm I work for are pretty decent to be fair, I was only in 1 day this year previously to this week and it wasn’t a problem. The role I do I mostly work with colleagues in Spain, France and the APAC region so can be done 100% from home.

Should have been obvious but this week has really reminded me how much I need to be amongst others.

Advantage too is without even trying I’ve been hitting just shy of 9000 steps a day.

On my first day back on Tuesday I could hardly string 2 meaningful sentences together when chatting to people. Day 4 on the trot and I’m full of beans.

Also, and this is a bit disgusting. I’ve showered each morning, like you do, but it’s the first time I’ve showered for 4 days in a row for over 2 years.

Did you successfully manage to put on some trousers for at least 3 days out of 4?:p

Did you successfully manage to put on some trousers for at least 3 days out of 4?:p
It’s been weird wearing full attire, + showering/shaving at 6:30 each morning. Last weekend I was trying on some of my pre-Covid work clobber and obvs they were all a bit tight so I’ve been going in casual for now. I’m not client facing so it’s not been a problem.

On Tuesday morning I was really nervous like it was the first day in a new job even tho’ I’ve been there 15 odd years.

Funnily enough tho’, another reason I went back is because I have a work trip to Paris for a few days from June 7th, to meet the team I work with and I thought I can’t go from slippers and shorts and no conversation skills to a trip to Paris.

Moved into a new role, line managing more people. Told them to do whatever the hell they want and to apply common sense. There’s some things that are just easier and quicker to do from the office mainly due to the network speed. So my only caveat as if it looks like it’s going to take you 3 days longer to do from home. Be proactive and come in and do it.

Now to find out who in the team applies a common sense approach to their workload.

The place I'm hoping to move to has a communal space on the roof, benches, etc. I want to try working out there if I can get the wifi to reach. I do have a long range wifi antenna which isn't doing much ATM.

Been out twice for work this week, which was nice. Still need to crack the, find something, some reason to go out in the evening, which isn't the pub. My hobbies are sit at a computer based stuff, mostly. I'm not an out doorsey person particularly but can't stay in a flat for days on end with out becoming quietly furious at everything.

The place I'm hoping to move to has a communal space on the roof, benches, etc. I want to try working out there if I can get the wifi to reach. I do have a long range wifi antenna which isn't doing much ATM.

Been out twice for work this week, which was nice. Still need to crack the, find something, some reason to go out in the evening, which isn't the pub. My hobbies are sit at a computer based stuff, mostly. I'm not an out doorsey person particularly but can't stay in a flat for days on end with out becoming quietly furious at everything.
I’m the same. Photography is what gets me outside. It’s things I can still do on my own or occasionally find a group to join on Instagram/meetup

Plus it allows me to still ‘sit at a computer’ editing photos when the weather is shite.

Works in winter too as you can night time photography at a more social hour and at the moment we’re hitting peak long daylight so can capture some really dramatic stuff between 9-10pm atm.

I added a drone to my toolset and looking to make vlog style stories to my trips out, not because I want to be a YouTube star but because I just found I enjoy the whole editing process too. I still need a better camera for recording video as my compact Panasonic is a bit limited, but I think that’s just me wanting more gadgets but it’s an expensive hobby so trying to control the spending.

employer is now formally consulting on making most 'back office' staff wfh / hybrid contract.

i've been wfh most of the time since i started in february - slightly unofficially, although the office i'm theoretically based at is still on more or less lockdown mode. not sure where 'my office' is going to be long term, as current building is going to get closed down.

£ 250 one off payment to cover buying stuff like desk / chair.

no ongoing payments.

may not get the income tax relief on wfh-ing since it's not going to be compulsory / covid related.

expectation to be at the office at least once a month (i've been doing slightly more than that so far, with the occasional overnight stay so i can do 2 days together. considering previous job was commuting to central london every day at cost of about £ 100 a week, it's not that bad)

have done a DSE / H+S assessment on my current set up. My current home office chair doesn't have a fire safety label, so fails (bought it second-paw must be getting on for 10 years ago, think it cost me 5 or 10 quid.) bugger.

feel faintly uninspired by it, but alternative is go 'back' to the office full time, and since office is 50+ miles away, sod that...

Back
Top Bottom