Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

Second week of hybrid working. Had to get an expensive business connection for the boss to allow it, but worth it.

Sat down at my PC this morning and realised I've left my glasses in the office. I can still see ok without them, but far from ideal. :(

I’m in today. Now our admin person has resigned and left on Friday, I had to print a load of payslips, put in the folding machine and manually envelope. Then do the post. Then do someone else’s printing.Now starting my own work finally :rolleyes:

The office is deserted, there are a few people the other side of the office from another team (it’s about the size of a tennis court), there are no benefits to being here. No one to talk to. None of this famous collaboration. It’s very still and airless even with the windows open :guy:

I can’t have the radio or anything on either. My phone doesn’t have a headphone Jack so can’t even listen that way. Maybe I need to work out how much those funny headphones I’ve seen people in London wear and buy some? :confused:

I’m in today. Now our admin person has resigned and left on Friday, I had to print a load of payslips, put in the folding machine and manually envelope. Then do the post. Then do someone else’s printing.Now starting my own work finally :rolleyes:

The office is deserted, there are a few people the other side of the office from another team (it’s about the size of a tennis court), there are no benefits to being here. No one to talk to. None of this famous collaboration. It’s very still and airless even with the windows open :guy:

I can’t have the radio or anything on either. My phone doesn’t have a headphone Jack so can’t even listen that way. Maybe I need to work out how much those funny headphones I’ve seen people in London wear and buy some? :confused:

I normally pay between 20 and 30 quid for the ones I run with, although they have a cable linking the two. Anker or Toatronics.

I normally pay between 20 and 30 quid for the ones I run with, although they have a cable linking the two. Anker or Toatronics.

I took a punt on some wire-free ones from MPow at just over twenty quid and they've been fine - really good for the money, I wouldn't bother upgrading them to hundred quid plus ones tbh.

JRM's order to get back to the office has finally filtered down from the civil service to local government. I was really keen to get back after a year of working from home but I think two years+ of doing it has changed me. I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy it at all.
What's making it worse is we're going to a new town hall where there are no offices just open plan, you have to book a seat every day, you can't leave anything at the end of the day - not even your tea mug - and there's no set areas where different teams can congregate. Plus there's only about 1 desk for 3 staff. If I was going back to my old office with all my mates I'd be less stressed.

For context I've basically spent two years on my own with almost zero adult company at all apart from visiting my mam who has alzheimers. There have been 3 zoom meetings in the whole 2 years and 2 months.

I was in work at 8:15 and worked fairly solidly on setting up a script to find some insecure DLLs before rounding the day off with a 3-4 hour call to audit user access rights across the computer estate. Finishing around 5pm

I did some other shit to, including making a healthy lunch for an hour.

We have no cheese.

I went to my 1st IRL leaving do in ages last night , loads of people there , it was the Director of Housing (Big Boss) for some reason she invited me to it 🤣 there were a few others of equal lowly standing there 🤣 . It was heaving in the pub room she booked. I hated zoom leaving dos , I hope they are now in the past.

I was in work at 8:15 and worked fairly solidly on setting up a script to find some insecure DLLs before rounding the day off with a 3-4 hour call to audit user access rights across the computer estate. Finishing around 5pm

We have no cheese.

And you forget what you were doing...and then Govey turns up with a big bag of coke so you think 'fuck it, let's just have a party'

We have no cheese.

Where does the prime minister work from again?

I went to my 1st IRL leaving do in ages last night , loads of people there , it was the Director of Housing (Big Boss) for some reason she invited me to it 🤣 there were a few others of equal lowly standing there 🤣 . It was heaving in the pub room she booked. I hated zoom leaving dos , I hope they are now in the past.

God it's been great not having to duck out of work parties.

We have no cheese.

What the fuck would that boff-haired piece of human shit know about real work? Fucking insulting bullshit, coming from a floppy-haired treasonous rich cunt. Fuck off to your Russian paymasters you worthless parasite.

Working from home did not negatively impact productivity for the company I work for, in fact they made more money because they weren't having to pay a bunch of bills.

I wish there were more voices calling out this bullshit for what it is, basically propaganda for landlords who want us back in the offices. Fuck off!

The 'Everyone Back to The Office' ship has long since sailed. People and companies have had 2 years of WFH and most of them know it works just fine.
The companies that think it doesn't will go bust as all their staff bugger off and work for the ones who know better.
If you bought up a load of commercial property pre-Covid tough shit you are going to lose your shirt.

The 'Everyone Back to The Office' ship has long since sailed. People and companies have had 2 years of WFH and most of them know it works just fine.
The companies that think it doesn't will go bust as all their staff bugger off and work for the ones who know better.
If you bought up a load of commercial property pre-Covid tough shit you are going to lose your shirt.

I hope you're right. Certainly in the case of the company I work for, there are no plans to get us into any offices any time soon.

I have the stats across over 1000 people working in the UK and I can tell you that it’s averaging out at about 2 days a week that people are going into their various offices. And that seems to me like a pretty good balance. My worry is that some people aren’t coming in at all and while that might be fine for them right now, they’re going to find themselves edged out of stuff in the long run.

Office today, as realised going in on Friday while convenient for the train I need to catch that evening would mean carrying laptop with me all weekend.

Me and a colleague. Nice to have a gossip / moan with her. Senior manager (head of finance) in. He didn’t speak to either of us, spent the entire day on calls in a shut office. Hope it was worth him driving 2 hours for that (he's based out of another office)

Back
Top Bottom