Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

Thinking about it, I'm hoping to take early retirement in the next 4-5 years (the economic impact of the virus may prompt the council to offer it ) . So this wfh 'revolution' will have more of an impact on younger folk.

After the last 18 months , apart from the economic advantages of WFH , I much prefer working in an actual office.

I’ve been told September, and we are now being encouraged to get back before then. I’m starting to wonder if working at home has exacerbated my mobility issues due to using my shit office chair.

My contract ends in September but I’ve got zero interest in extending as I haven’t enjoyed the work.

We've been 'encouraged' to start going back into work on Sep 6th. But only Monday-Thursday. Personally I don't want to as I've graced the office with my presence twice in the last 6 months and both times had to self-isolate as colleagues tested positive. Spoke to my boss this morning about my misgivings and he was fully cool with me making up my own mind, I can continue to WFH if I want.

I actually do want to go back to work in some ways. I think I've gone nuts. My company has kindly laid on free therapy for us all, which I've taken up with gusto but still... I miss real life.

We're going back to campus for two days a week from September. During the pandemic the university has decided that all central professional services offices will be converted to open plan hot-desking hell-holes; fortunately I still have an office in the faculty so will only have to be in the call-centre on Weds and the faculty on Thurs. I'm looking forward to going back but two days is just fine. Our head of division is adamant that we never have to go back full-time if we don't want to, however I think the vice-chancellor has other ideas. We will see.

This week I'm working from the sofa in a friends house. Woke up to discover a random man asleep on the sofa so had to evict him before I could work. Didn't look very professional on sofa with laptop on coffee table. Only this week though.

This is quite obviously Rishi whose been pushing getting back in the office since last March.

View attachment 282791
A civil servant responds:

iu

My employer has just published its new post-covid policies. It came out today on an email with links to 6x 5 min videos and some reading to do. How complicated can it be? I couldn't be arsed. Someone will tell me about it on the team call tomorrow.

My employer has just published its new post-covid policies. It came out today on an email with links to 6x 5 min videos and some reading to do. How complicated can it be? I couldn't be arsed. Someone will tell me about it on the team call tomorrow.
They are all thinking exactly the same thing as you. Except for Clive. Clive watched all the videos. Twice. To be sure.

My only contribution this this thread is this;
WFH can go fuck itself.

Bolllocks, WFH is ace. I've saved non-trivial amounts of time and money by not paying rip-off prices for bus tickets into work. Being able to work anywhere with a decent internet connection also means that I can look after my sister's kids if she ever fancies a night out or whatever. The commercial landlords whining about their parasitic profits can all go fuck themselves.

The commercial landlords whining about their parasitic profits can all go fuck themselves.
Yep, this. I do feel sorry for the small independents who are struggling though.
The landlord at my local fears for his pub even now it’s reopened- all the trade he used to get from commuters popping in for a pint when they got off the train has gone.
There will be many others.

Bolllocks, WFH is ace. I've saved non-trivial amounts of time and money by not paying rip-off prices for bus tickets into work. Being able to work anywhere with a decent internet connection also means that I can look after my sister's kids if she ever fancies a night out or whatever. The commercial landlords whining about their parasitic profits can all go fuck themselves.
It's not for everyone.

The WFH itself is a fucking pain in the arse.
The house ain't big enough. No office. Secure Govt Systems aren't as responsive over home wi-fi as they are over wired connections at work. Total pain.

I know what you're getting at but this isn't my experience.

And, parasite landlords can always go fuck themselves. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Afraid I'm also in the "WfH can go fuck itself" camp. I'm not denigrating other people for liking it - if you do, great. I just can't do it. I'm aware I'm probably in the minority on this subject but I'm not entirely happy with some people who seem to think that working from home is universally loved.

I was already at a big advantage compared to most people in that I already have a dedicated study in which to do all my hobby stuff, so it was easy enough to repurpose some of this for a home working setup. But I was a new starter (only began the job a five weeks before lockdown) so I'd had little opportunity to grok the company structure before we were all sent home (getting your feet under the table of even a moderately complex infrastructure usually takes at least six months), and one of my key responsibilities being the remote working infrastructure (!!!) certainly helped pile on some stress. Doing my job in the same place as my hobbies eventually culminated in me detesting doing either; I couldn't get in to work mode in the morning, I couldn't concentrate on work during the day and I couldn't switch off from thinking about all the work I wasn't able to do once the work day had supposedly finished (a behaviour that I felt was leading me straight back to earlier career-and-sanity-shattering bouts of insomnia) and I rapidly found myself running out of leisure activities that succeeded in relaxing me at all.

There were certainly other factors involved as well (father being ill in a pandemic and having a partner despondent over losing their job being fairly major external ones) but several minor meltdowns happened, to the extent I was convinced I was completely incapable of doing the job I was hired for and, amongst other worrisome behaviour, was considering resigning. Thankfully I was talked out of resigning by my boss (who's a very good and approachable egg) and it became evident some trick cycling needed to be done.

I was lucky enough to get my vaccine early (spare jab from the vaccination centre my partner was volunteering in) so I've been going back in to the office every day since the middle of june and almost immediately the cloud started to lift - the commute essentially serves as a solid bookend between work and non-work and it's much easier to stop myself spinning round in circles, unable to think.

Work just came out with their future which are much kinder than anyone really expected (remote working was not a thing at all prior to the pandemic), people like me who prefer to work in the office are being given extra holidays but still get the option of a limited number of WfH days if we want them.

Afraid I'm also in the "WfH can go fuck itself" camp. I'm not denigrating other people for liking it - if you do, great. I just can't do it. I'm aware I'm probably in the minority on this subject but I'm not entirely happy with some people who seem to think that working from home is universally loved.

I was already at a big advantage compared to most people in that I already have a dedicated study in which to do all my hobby stuff, so it was easy enough to repurpose some of this for a home working setup. But I was a new starter (only began the job a five weeks before lockdown) so I'd had little opportunity to grok the company structure before we were all sent home (getting your feet under the table of even a moderately complex infrastructure usually takes at least six months), and one of my key responsibilities being the remote working infrastructure (!!!) certainly helped pile on some stress. Doing my job in the same place as my hobbies eventually culminated in me detesting doing either; I couldn't get in to work mode in the morning, I couldn't concentrate on work during the day and I couldn't switch off from thinking about all the work I wasn't able to do once the work day had supposedly finished (a behaviour that I felt was leading me straight back to earlier career-and-sanity-shattering bouts of insomnia) and I rapidly found myself running out of leisure activities that succeeded in relaxing me at all.

There were certainly other factors involved as well (father being ill in a pandemic and having a partner despondent over losing their job being fairly major external ones) but several minor meltdowns happened, to the extent I was convinced I was completely incapable of doing the job I was hired for and, amongst other worrisome behaviour, was considering resigning. Thankfully I was talked out of resigning by my boss (who's a very good and approachable egg) and it became evident some trick cycling needed to be done.

I was lucky enough to get my vaccine early (spare jab from the vaccination centre my partner was volunteering in) so I've been going back in to the office every day since the middle of june and almost immediately the cloud started to lift - the commute essentially serves as a solid bookend between work and non-work and it's much easier to stop myself spinning round in circles, unable to think.

Work just came out with their future which are much kinder than anyone really expected (remote working was not a thing at all prior to the pandemic), people like me who prefer to work in the office are being given extra holidays but still get the option of a limited number of WfH days if we want them.
It is a horses for courses thing. My daughter started a whole new post-uni career in lockdown. It's tough for her, so I get it. I have colleagues I haven't met, and a guy I'm supposed to be training as my replacement who I haven't spoken to face to face. It's not easy in those circumstances.

And yes, I have an "office" at home, that was the box room, but it does help having the space, and not everyone will.

I also have experienced colleagues with young children who will either tell you they have loved every minute of lockdown as it means they have spent so much more time with their kids, and others who can't wait to get back to the office* cos they can't stand a minute more at home doing year 5 maths.

Sunak's point of view is that vast parts of the economy will collapse if we are not all paying through the nose for public transport, buying lunch at Pret or the local sandwich shop, buying "office clothes" etc etc. I can live without any of that, but it might put the Albion by the train station out of business, as no one pops in there for a swift pint on their way home from work any more. And that would be sad.

The calls to cut wages for workers not going in, is just the usual attacking the workers thing. My employer pays London office people 20% more than where I work in Reading. It's supposed to cover higher housing costs/commuting costs. I can see that being whittled away for everyone in time.

The only reason I want to go to work one day soon is that I'll go in, take the afternoon off and go to the Alehouse.

(* we have been told, yesterday, that it is no longer an office. It is a "hub" 🤣 .)

I haven't enjoyed wfh , I am going into the office more , even though we don't have to. Will do more (going in tomorrow) not a lot of folk are going in though , there are usually 3 or 4 people in , we have a bank of hot desks which could fit maybe 30 or so.

I also have experienced colleagues with young children who will either tell you they have loved every minute of lockdown as it means they have spent so much more time with their kids, and others who can't wait to get back to the office* cos they can't stand a minute more at home doing year 5 maths.

My boss is one of those parents for whom WfH has been beneficial; he'd recently just finished paternity leave before lockdown started, and he has a massive commute, so he's been having an absolute ball spending loads of time with his kid.

Sunak's point of view is that vast parts of the economy will collapse if we are not all paying through the nose for public transport, buying lunch at Pret or the local sandwich shop, buying "office clothes" etc etc. I can live without any of that, but it might put the Albion by the train station out of business, as no one pops in there for a swift pint on their way home from work any more. And that would be sad.

The calls to cut wages for workers not going in, is just the usual attacking the workers thing. My employer pays London office people 20% more than where I work in Reading. It's supposed to cover higher housing costs/commuting costs. I can see that being whittled away for everyone in time.

Sunak is, of course, beholden to a different covenant than you or I. Like many in the Tory party, he's got a lot of his own personal wealth ultimately tied back to property and as chancellor he's hopefully well aware of how unstable the already vastly overvalued UK real estate market is, particularly retail, in a situation that doesn't seem too dissimilar from late 80s Japan. I'm sure prices will remain stratospheric for a while but eventually no-one's going to be able to afford a house or a shop except for the private equity companies, and I'm not sure there's enough of that to maintain the amount of money coming in once your average working family don't even have a hope of buying a house (for instance, I wouldn't be able to get a mortgage for my own house even if I had £100k in the bank). Of course, disposable income vanishing on rents is just one other reason why people aren't spending money in shops and pubs but the rampant housing inequality never gets mentioned by Sunak and friends, funny that...

The "give the remote workers a pay cut" if of course another attack on workers but it dovetails neatly in to the current "levelling up" dogma, a strop to be seen to lash those lazy metropolitan elites with their cushy office jobs. Wage bumps for London and other major cities are indeed going to be whittled away for people using the remote working excuse, but that'll leave city housing even more unaffordable than it is already, and thus leaving the property bubble ever more vulnerable, unless it's to come largely under private equity ownership.

The only reason I want to go to work one day soon is that I'll go in, take the afternoon off and go to the Alehouse.

This is one of the things I've been missing the most - a swift 'alf with colleagues, meeting up with mates in central before a meal/show or just people-watching from behind a glass. A friend and I who both work out of central are considering a couple of friday afternoons off to catch the fitzrovia throngs.

Yep, this. I do feel sorry for the small independents who are struggling though.
The landlord at my local fears for his pub even now it’s reopened- all the trade he used to get from commuters popping in for a pint when they got off the train has gone.
There will be many others.

:( Though I guess local pubs might see a bit of an uptick in trade instead?

I LOVE working from home and would, in fact, not be able to work at all if I couldn't work from home. My employer hired me on a work from home basis and has no intentions of changing that, thankfully, except for the occasional touchdown day. (I'd cite the DDA act if I needed to, but it's not necessary).

Being a new starter, doing my training and getting to know the company remotely hasn't felt like a hindrance. It has been for some others, at least the training part, but I think for me I learn better at home where I can mess around with the software, trying things out and risking messing up without anyone watching. It is a little odd that the only one of my colleagues I've ever met is the one I knew before I started working there, but then I'm used to that sort of connection due to being on places like this.

I've been very creative with my home office space - there was a 65cm*80cm nook by my back door that previously housed a shoe stand, and I found a desk that fit it (one of my best buys ever), and my office chair goes in front of it, partially blocking the back door (it's still usable). That part of the hallway is down a separate turning so it feels sort of private and separate. The flat itself is pretty small so I had to get creative just to find a space for a washing machine and dishwasher.

Shared housing would probably be a hugely different WFH experience.

No matter how many times I do it I don't think I'll ever get used to doing a presentation via Teams or Zoom or whatever. Its just such a strange experience being sat at home in a room on my own staring at the monitor and changing the slides but not having an audience you can see. Just weird.

wfh is not for everyone- it drove me crazy, I had to chuck a few wobblies before they let me come back to work

Our work took a survey on what people wanted to do about WFH, then tried to creatively reinterpret the results. "You said you'd like the option of coming into an office occasionally, and might do that perhaps 2 days per week" became "You told us you want to work from home for absolutely no more than 3 days, every single week." :mad:

We've been told that we can go back into the office if we have a specific need (incl. mental health etc.) but that the preference is for us to continue to WFH so that those who want/need to go in can do so on a socially distanced basis.
I share a small office with one other person and we wouldn't both be able to be in at the same time, so I'd be going in to sit in an office on my own.
I can do that at home and save all that commuting time/money.

I've got used to WFH in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible a year ago and I'm in no hurry to go back.

Back
Top Bottom