Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

my working from home is work intense for twenty minutes, then do something else like eat, watch 4 youtube videos, have a vape in the garden, then another 20 minutes of intense work, etc etc.

I can't break out of that sort of pattern. it's just the way my brain is made. i can imagine MANY of my colleagues though do the whole log on at nine, keep plugging all the way through until 5.

I've accepted that this is just how I work and the work is done and done well so not bothered.

do others have this sort of cycle when wfh? work, then foot of the pedal, the work, foot of the pedal, etc?
Sounds a lot like the Pomodoro technique:

I am also like this. Do some work then need a bit of faffing as a treat.

i'm sure it's been mentioned in the thread already, but since the question's been asked on another thread, probably no harm in another mention that you can claim a little bit off your income tax for the costs of working from home

What's really irritating is that everyone else in my org can claim the tax relief but I can't, because I was working from home before anyway.
That's a good point - I worked at home some days a week beforehand but not full-time. Not sure if that would affect my ability to claim.

I've really enjoyed working from home, I find I have a list of things to do each day which keeps me focused but have breaks throughout the day. After speaking with many other colleagues they all would prefer to work from home with only a small minority of people wanting to go back into work, I think being given the choice would be the best option for people but I can see that our workplace getting us back into the office sadly, disregarding a lot of the benefits to WFH.

I think the truth for a lot of staff is that they don't miss the office politics, the clicks and the ar*ehole colleagues, plus most people prefer their homes over going to work, unless you live in a bad or stressful environment.

I don't mind too much working from home, now it's been a year and is a perminant situation. Full time would do my head in though. Well a couple of things niggle. I don't have a proper desk cos it's full of my own stuff, which is OK but it means I'm spending far too long in the same chair all week.

Also with basically anything worth going to outside being still shut, if I think about it for too long, the cabin fever creeps in.

I don't mind too much working from home, now it's been a year and is a perminant situation. Full time would do my head in though. Well a couple of things niggle. I don't have a proper desk cos it's full of my own stuff, which is OK but it means I'm spending far too long in the same chair all week.

Also with basically anything worth going to outside being still shut, if I think about it for too long, the cabin fever creeps in.
I'm getting to the point where the cabin fever thing has passed and actually I'd be happy wfh permanently, if I could go out locally. On the other hand, I think I'm looking forward to a future where I go in to the office, say, once a week. It would be nice to see colleagues. They're not all wankers.

Plus there's a couple of pubs and the cheese and beer shop, and the second hand record shop, and the Oxfam books and music shops near work that I'll be deliriously happy to visit again. Plus I'd get to see my mates in that town as well.

I (and colleagues) unilaterally decided to wfh before the WFH edict, and before the pubs were closed, but if "they" want me to do my miserable, expensive commute again, I want the Alehouse to be open. In fact, I can see me going to work in the morning, then booking the pm off to do a crawl. Alehouse, pop into Sweeney's for a pie and a pint, Castle Tap, Nags, then a swift one at the Greyfriar before getting the train home. Actually, that sounds like a plan.......

I have been working for the last 4 days in the office at my new place. I will wfh at some point, when my laptop arrives - the impression I get is that it may take a while. Out of a team of 8, so far the most we have had in the office other than me is 2, tomorrow it will just be me! Fortunately everyone has been friendly and understanding of my lack of knowledge of teams, which has helped me pick things up gradually

Back
Top Bottom