Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

I've been back WFH for the last couple of weeks, there isn't much work going on so I've not exactly been productive , got to do some this week and am being re-furloughed next week.

I've just started a new job :D and will be working from home for the foreseeable. It's a little strange but I just keep reminding myself to head over to Teams aka the virtual office whenever I have questions.

Work have sent me a new laptop and I've got a second screen, so I'm faced with the question of how best to arrange everything. Should I have the laptop to the side, and use the secondary monitor as my main monitor, plus a keyboard and mouse? Or should I put the laptop underneath the monitor, use the laptop keyboard, and a mouse? Decisions, decisions :confused:

What are fellow Urbs doing?

I've just started a new job :D and will be working from home for the foreseeable. It's a little strange but I just keep reminding myself to head over to Teams aka the virtual office whenever I have questions.

Work have sent me a new laptop and I've got a second screen, so I'm faced with the question of how best to arrange everything. Should I have the laptop to the side, and use the secondary monitor as my main monitor, plus a keyboard and mouse? Or should I put the laptop underneath the monitor, use the laptop keyboard, and a mouse? Decisions, decisions :confused:

Ergonomically speaking, laptop keyboards and mice are a bit of a disaster area. You'd be far better off with a separate keyboard and mouse, then put the laptop wherever feels most comfortable for looking at the screen. Ideally, propped up on something so it's nearer to eye level, because, ergonomically speaking, laptop screens are a bit of a disaster area, too.

Work have sent me a new laptop and I've got a second screen, so I'm faced with the question of how best to arrange everything. Should I have the laptop to the side, and use the secondary monitor as my main monitor, plus a keyboard and mouse? Or should I put the laptop underneath the monitor, use the laptop keyboard, and a mouse? Decisions, decisions
Depends on how much space you have on the desk/table you are working on. I use a separate larger monitor and flatten the laptop so the screen is facing the ceiling. I use the laptop keyboard as that is fine for me, but may not be for others. Separate wireless mouse as I absolutely loathe laptop trackpads.

I'll confess that I did do a tiny bit of work at the weekend. I'm talking only about 15 minutes, mainly because I had thought it would take longer.

My husband has started a four week contract this week. Which means I'm having to share MY work space :mad: and we're having to juggle calls and whatnot. Good job our youngest is such a self-starter (and the elder kid is at school).

Oh well, that's me wfh all done then. Back in work on Monday :( Have told boss that there's no way I'm sitting out front though, am gonna be in my little windowless office instead, easily reachable, and safer, though with a longer walk to the door. Gonna get an intercom and door release installed too.

Bye bye lovely freedom.

Government guidance for office work is still that if you can you should work from home.

I can’t see that we can justify asking people to come into our central London office. It’s not the office that’s the problem it’s the tube.
Yeh, I manage a business centre with multiple small business occupants, who are taking turns to ask me when I'm back in because they are having to answer the door. Part of my job involves reception work (I do absolutely everything in there) and while some of them have been in over lockdown, now they are pretty much all back in. Boss said if that's the situation, then I should go back in.

Might get a local lockdown anyway the way things are going in the North West.

I use my laptop screen aswell as 2 external screens (only 19”s), makes life so much easier.

I was late to a meeting today :oops: apologised, hadn't missed much tbf, then someone turned up even later , only 2 of us were on screen (a lot of people do turn the camera off) . He was calling in from his barge :cool:

I've been working from home for a couple of years now. I have my laptop on a stand so it's at eye level, with a separate keyboard and a wireless mouse. The second, bigger screen is off to the right, and I use the "extend display" setting in display settings. That's me though as I'm usually working from several windows at the same time and it's a big help.

I've quite often actually got the laptop unplugged and am nesting on the sofa or putting my feet up in the garden, with just laptop and mouse.

I was late to a meeting today :oops: apologised, hadn't missed much tbf, then someone turned up even later , only 2 of us were on screen (a lot of people do turn the camera off) . He was calling in from his barge :cool:

If you work for amazon don’t you just turn up for the meeting at some point between 1pm and 6pm.

I had to run into the office to pick up some paperwork. I haven't been in the building since March 5. I think my boss was tempted to hug me. All of my coworkers who remain in the office were glad to see me, even the ones who don't like me very much. It was odd seeing the technical department dark. My desk was exactly as I had left and someone had been kind enough to water my plant.

I was on a Skype meeting earlier like this + just in my pants.

View attachment 220555

I didn’t have video enabled nor did I have to speak, like others, so I was wondering if anyone else was doing similar.

When video conference meetings first became An Actual Thing I bought a pack of fake comedy moustaches and beards. I wore a different one each meeting - and I had the video enabled!!

Had an embarrassingly unproductive day today. I knew as soon as I started at 8 I wasn't in the mood for work. I have plenty to do so I hope next week goes better.

So it looks like I'll be heading back into the office on the 29th. There's a whole bunch of new things and restrictions that, while sensible, make working there sound like fucking misery. No microwaves, no fridges, no tea and coffee provided (fuck this one in particular), and more besides. Plus travelling to work means having to deal with fuckwits on public transport. I'd honestly prefer to continue working from home.

Fuck.

Seeing as I'll be working from home for the foreseeable, I've bought a new significantly bigger monitor. Works a treat, like being at the pictures. Now tempted to buy a proper office chair rather than using a kitchen chair.

Back
Top Bottom