Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

As more and more bits are going online/virtual I’m really starting to find my work is being limited by my utterly terrible internet connection. I can’t get fibre to my flat, the very best open reach say is possible is 6 meg down and 0.5 up. And I never get anywhere near that.

When all four of us are online the bandwidth canne take it
Check your router settings for stuff like "QoS". If you're cunning, you can prioritise your own traffic. Mine does it, but there's only me anyway...although I was thinking it might be handy to downprioritise torrent traffic, so it just carries on in the background and drops away when something more important (probably Zoom) comes along... :hmm:

As more and more bits are going online/virtual I’m really starting to find my work is being limited by my utterly terrible internet connection. I can’t get fibre to my flat, the very best open reach say is possible is 6 meg down and 0.5 up. And I never get anywhere near that.

Can you not get Virgin Media?

this happened to me :oops::rolleyes:

0172b5e70c36cb7debfc42cfbcb7216db537b95b.jpg

My biggest challenge is trying to keep my stuff and my company's stuff separate. I have to use my own personal laptop and they keep saying things like 'well, if it won't get through the company's firewalls, just email it to your personal email account and it should be fine.'

Er, no.

But then having said that, I have stolen two fuck-off massive office chairs so we are probably quits at the moment.

My biggest challenge is trying to keep my stuff and my company's stuff separate. I have to use my own personal laptop and they keep saying things like 'well, if it won't get through the company's firewalls, just email it to your personal email account and it should be fine.'

Er, no.

But then having said that, I have stolen two fuck-off massive office chairs so we are probably quits at the moment.
What the fuck?

Sending office stuff to our own personal email account is potentially a sackable offence in my company. They certainly wouldn’t be encouraging it!

What the fuck?

Sending office stuff to our own personal email account is potentially a sackable offence in my company. They certainly wouldn’t be encouraging it!
really? It's good insurance to send some shit onto your home account

When it is working well I do more work at home than I would normally manage in the office. And most of the time it does work well. However there are more distractions at home and nothing to stop me tuning into the news headlines every hour for example.

However I spend more hours sitting at my laptop at home than I do at work, having fewer reasons to walk about, which is a bad thing. We need some exercise however small.

It’s not secure
How do you mean? I think it’s wise to send stuff on, esp if there are whispers about redundancy or you’ve got a disciplinary coming up, as management have a tendency to lie about shit and deny things, so it’s good to have proof

How do you mean? I think it’s wise to send stuff on, esp if there are whispers about redundancy or you’ve got a disciplinary coming up, as management have a tendency to lie about shit and deny things, so it’s good to have proof
That’s not what we’re talking about, though. We’re talking about sending actual work through to your home account. But your home computer is almost certainly insecure. It’s not encrypted, it’s not adequately protected and it isn’t regularly backed up. It’s inappropriate for business use.

That’s not what we’re talking about, though. We’re talking about sending actual work through to your home account. But your home computer is almost certainly insecure. It’s not encrypted, it’s not adequately protected and it isn’t regularly backed up. It’s inappropriate for business use.
I was talking about emails from management trying to stitch people up, not business.

Someone who can definitely work from home in a happy safe environment has been going in, they were enabling others to do the same which pissed me off but was none of my business, they've now escalated to trying to encourage me to 'be brave' and go in

Er, no.

That isn't theft it's asset depreciation which is a completely different thing

What the fuck?

It was even worse than that but I won't detail it here. My manager is a bit of a dinosaur. :facepalm: And the company's technology is an absolute joke. That's why I have to use my own chromebook.

I'm incredibly bored.

Have you tried Topiary?

Someone who can definitely work from home in a happy safe environment has been going in, they were enabling others to do the same which pissed me off but was none of my business, they've now escalated to trying to encourage me to 'be brave' and go in

Be brave and tell them to fuck off.

Be brave and tell them to fuck off.

I think they've done this because no one's properly taken the bait so far, or if they did they've changed their mind and started working from home again, or only went in to get stuff that makes it easier to work from home. I'm actually morbidly fascinated about what their next move is going to be - presumably if they're in there on their own it is safe for them so they're not going to get stopped in their tracks by the virus until they successfully convince someone else to go in.

I think they've done this because no one's properly taken the bait so far, or if they did they've changed their mind and started working from home again, or only went in to get stuff that makes it easier to work from home. I'm actually morbidly fascinated about what their next move is going to be - presumably if they're in there on their own it is safe for them so they're not going to get stopped in their tracks by the virus until they successfully convince someone else to go in.

They're only thinking of you. :rolleyes::(:hmm:

A note for anyone running video conferences: make sure you know where your participants are, and that someone on your call knows where you are.
Make sure you have easy access to home addresses, and/or alternative locations if people aren't logging in from home.

I say this, because I have just spent an extremely intense 45 minutes after a student collapsed on camera while on a teaching session with us. We don't routinely have access to student home addresses - which we will rectify immediately - but in this case the student was connecting from their workplace, and was the only one there (another thing right there - lone working). It took us 45 minutes of piecing together clues, and phoning likely venues, before we struck lucky and got through to the department she was part of, throughout which she was clearly in great distress, apparently unconscious, and sounding very unwell.

As it happens, she was in a building on hospital grounds, and - having located her - they were able to get her into A&E in minutes, with a consultant administering first aid on the way.

Now all we can do is wait to find out how she is.

That all sounds very stressful existentialist, hope she's okay. And thanks for the heads up, will certainly consider how that might apply to my own workplace.

Feeling the strain today, the long haul strain of only ever working on my own and never getting to be with colleagues or in different places. It is much harder work without that connection. I miss them :(

Back
Top Bottom