Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The working from home thread

No it's not.

It's not bad, either, that I don't miss going to work, and only miss seeing colleagues a little bit!

Some days I feel like that too. Just a matter of what day you ask me. :)

Oh, and I'm never going to miss the lady who comes into my office and natters on about nothing for an hour every day.

My employer hasn't yet bought the option to phone using Teams, and my plug-in phone no longer dials. After much investigation I realised I could still phone on Skype, despite the official line being to dump that and use Teams.

i discovered that exact thing the other day! oddness

Is it bad that I miss going to work? That I miss seeing my coworkers?

Not at all, I understand where you're coming from.

For me though, it's more than compensated by how much more free time I have in the evenings, thanks to cutting out the two hours of daily commuting on the bus. I also greatly appreciate how this means that I no longer have to get up at 5:30 in the morning to get to work.

I don't miss the people at all. Not at all. Not even a bit.

However I miss the two and a half hour commute to head office and then staying over for one or two nights. It means I have nothing else to do apart from work (and eat/sleep)

I get sooo much more done than when I'm working at home.

I realise this probably means you may think of me as a little strange.

Last edited:
I installed Teams on my Linux box to help a friend out in trying to configure the flaky, unreliable piece of shit. I learned two things: one, Teams doesn't like to let go of the mike and camera when it's closed

That hadn't occurred to me, but oddly it doesn't surprise me either. I'll stick something over the camera when I'm not in meetings, and maybe stick Metal Machine Music on repeat tomorrow.

That hadn't occurred to me, but oddly it doesn't surprise me either. I'll stick something over the camera when I'm not in meetings, and maybe stick Metal Machine Music on repeat tomorrow.
You can also go into the settings and tell it not to start up automatically. At least, on Linux.

You can also go into the settings and tell it not to start up automatically. At least, on Linux.

Ah, we have to have it start automatically, as the management line is that we use it for everything.

One very minor thing that nonetheless really grates is that when it auto-starts it covers the control bar at the bottom. I need to press the box in the top right to get it to just cover the active screen, so I can then load up Outlook, IE and any Office files I need.

Ah, we have to have it start automatically, as the management line is that we use it for everything.

One very minor thing that nonetheless really grates is that when it auto-starts it covers the control bar at the bottom. I need to press the box in the top right to get it to just cover the active screen, so I can then load up Outlook, IE and any Office files I need.
Yeah, a pain in the arse. And, from the various informal attempts I've had at trying to help people make it work, it's as flakey as fuck. And god help you if you use it and then need to switch to another platform...it doesn't like to let go of the camera.

I actually went into my office today today pick up an office chair and rescue my plants.
It made me sad :(

We were banned from doing that a few weeks ago, on the very day I was considering asking security if they'd let me in to pick up some papers and a chair that's way better than the backache-inducing old thing I have in my study at home.... :rolleyes:

I miss my colleagues so much :( I miss the students, going to visit our schools and college centres. I miss my office, the atmosphere and the 8th floor views.

This Friday we were supposed to be having our development day for Principals. It's an all day thing that I'm very involved with, and afterwards we all go out to the pub and invariably end up getting smashed. I shall miss that.

I miss my commute. I really value that hour in the car every morning and evening when I can be completely alone, with time to think through whatever is on my mind.

Go for a walk instead.

I actually miss this too. Although I dumped the car a year ago in favour of taking the train. Are you mad you might think. I never expected to fall out of love with driving, but the standard of other peoples driving gets worse by the day, almost blowing the horn every day and the councils war on cars by turning most of my short cuts into one way or cycle roads only just made the whole thing way to stressful. I'd get to work wound up, and I'd get home wound up. So the councils tactics paid off, annoyed me so much I started using public transport.

Instead taking 15 mins to walk to my local train station, listen to tunes, read the news once at station and on the train, then do another 15 min walk the other end after 15 mins on the train was so refreshing and especially helped me just be so clear minded and chilled by the time I got home that most of my work worries were at least once again at the back of my mind until I was back at the desk the following morning. It also takes me no longer doing the commute this way than it does in the car sat in queues.

So I make sure I still do my 30 minutes of daily walking to clear my mind and just zone out.

Driving during lockdown has actually been pleasurable again when I have needed to go out and pick things up, although Saturday just gone felt like a normal Saturday, the roads were very busy again!

Finding getting going in the morning very difficult. Every morning wake up feeling like I've been hit by a train. I think it's cos I'm not having enough time away from the PC. At work I break things up by going for a wander to find students or see staff members in person, or just get a cuppa and look at something different for ten minutes.

I also accelerate through the day, as pretty much all my job is now is emailing and phoning students, and they get up much later than usual during lockdown :D

Thought I'd share this, too. Good to remember.

received_223064382479382.jpeg

I'm having to do a week-long online training course. No problem with that in principle and I can see that it will be of real benefit to some people, but I'm finding it pretty much a complete waste of time. In technical terms - it's about working online - it's pitched for people who have difficulty sending an email, whilst in other respects it's not covering much we didn't look at when I took a formal qualification in this sort of area only a couple of years ago. Being difficult and refusing to participate wouldn't achieve anything aside from making me unpopular, so instead I'm doing the minimum I can get away with, and leaving the videos playing in the background whilst I get on with other important jobs. Such as tidying the kitchen cupboards.

I'm having to do a week-long online training course. No problem with that in principle and I can see that it will be of real benefit to some people, but I'm finding it pretty much a complete waste of time. In technical terms - it's about working online - it's pitched for people who have difficulty sending an email, whilst in other respects it's not covering much we didn't look at when I took a formal qualification in this sort of area only a couple of years ago. Being difficult and refusing to participate wouldn't achieve anything aside from making me unpopular, so instead I'm doing the minimum I can get away with, and leaving the videos playing in the background whilst I get on with other important jobs. Such as tidying the kitchen cupboards.

Actually, following on from this, what is this obsession with providing instruction via video these days? I don't mind its being there as an option, but personally I find a step-by-step written guide, with pictures to illustrate where necessary, much more helpful and much easier to refer back to. It's one of the things about this course that's actively frustrating rather than being simply pointless. Same applies to recipes, DIY tips, and the rest of it. Shove your videos up your arse and write some proper text FFS.

Actually, following on from this, what is this obsession with providing instruction via video these days? I don't mind its being there as an option, but personally I find a step-by-step written guide, with pictures to illustrate where necessary, much more helpful and much easier to refer back to. It's one of the things about this course that's actively frustrating rather than being simply pointless. Same applies to recipes, DIY tips, and the rest of it. Shove your videos up your arse and write some proper text FFS.
This. A thousand times this.

I cannot learn anything by listening to someone talk. I have to read, then do.

This. A thousand times this.

I cannot learn anything by listening to someone talk. I have to read, then do.

Yes! The concept of 'learning styles' has slightly fallen out of pedagogical fashion recently but I still think there's a lot in it, and videos just don't suit my way of learning. Watching a video is too passive and my attention wanders: I prefer some nice, clear, written instructions to read through and then try to act upon, and which I can keep by me to refer back to if something doesn't work as I expected. Obviously that doesn't go for everyone and the sort of 'passive learning' that videos foster works well for some people, but surely the solution there is to provide both text and video?!

Yes! The concept of 'learning styles' has slightly fallen out of pedagogical fashion recently but I still think there's a lot in it, and videos just don't suit my way of learning. Watching a video is too passive and my attention wanders: I prefer some nice, clear, written instructions to read through and then try to act upon, and which I can keep by me to refer back to if something doesn't work as I expected. Obviously that doesn't go for everyone and the sort of 'passive learning' that videos foster works well for some people, but surely the solution there is to provide both text and video?!
I can’t even listen to someone reading an article or story - I have to have it written down and read it for myself. Audio books are utterly pointless for me.

Today is fucking dragging because the Ford Motor Company apparently thinks that engine data and towing weights are just too boring to put in their brochures. The data that is present comes in a jumbled arrangement that is hard to read and is scattered across several PDF pages.

These documents are relating to commercial vehicles. It makes no god damn sense that the availability and presentation of such vehicle data would be so poor. One would have thought such data would be more important in the commercial market, as such data would be useful for business planning.

Or maybe Ford just sucks at documentation and data handling, with their stupid password-locked Excel files and unsearchable PDFs.

Solidarity fist bumps to Roadkill and beesonthewhatnow
That’s one of the reasons I hate meeting. They’re often just to go over stuff that’s already been said in an email, but people don’t seem able to read them or understand them, so we have to go over them again

My immediate colleagues and I have an informal catch-up on Skype 4 days a week, just to shoot the breeze, it helps, and once a week we have a wider team meeting.

I do miss going in tho’ + I’ve developed some very bad habits the last few weeks.

We do the same. in my IT Services team there's 4 optional 'tea breaks' and 1 wider mandatory Wednesday to just check in with everyone and do any necessary updates from the business.

Then the college team I'm alligned too is 2 Tea breaks a week and 1 mandatory meeting.

I check in with the people I line manage at least once a week to make sure they are ok, and then also group meet with them once a week too.

The only downside is all the mandatory stuff tends to be on a Wednesday so 4ish hours of my day is took up by just meetings, but have to stay aware during them, 1 i lead and the other I have to input into.

I don't always attend the tea breaks but they are useful.

We also keeping the 'Thursday after pay day drinks' thing going virtually on Zoom as well, which is good as see some other faces sometimes in the wider IT Services team that I don't normally see unless I physically bump into them so that's been good, also allows break out rooms so some people can play board games (somehow) and other crap.

Think it's really important business' and teams do these sort of things to be honest. It's probably then a bit easier to spot the staff that are not joining in and maybe struggling and give them an extra bit of care and attention, without digging in too deep, but peoples mental health and wellbeing is more important than anything. That NHS slide above is spot on.

Last edited:
Gah. All these people droning on about how video-conferencing is going to replace face-to-face interaction and the future is all online. Is it fuck. I've just come from yet another Zoom meeting that consisted largely of people saying 'I can't hear you,' 'your picture has frozen up,' 'can you repeat that?' and 'my internet connection is wobbling again.'

IME the only thing that guarantees clear sound on a video-conference call is to say something you shouldn't, which through the inexorable operation of Sod's Law will come through fine. In this case, my 'oh for fuck's sake' when it froze up for the twentieth time was probably the clearest point of the meeting.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom