Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

I love the fact that even after Omar's death, the stories surrounding him continue to get more mythical, when the truth is he dies a pointless death, suffering the final insult of the morgue attendants getting the tags the wrong way round.

Does he just get the it the wrong way round? It looked like he swapped them on purpose, for some unknown reason. A laugh?

Omars death was on the cards from the moment he broke his leg. You had to suspect that the writers would play it this way. No grand revenge.

Omars death was on the cards from the moment he broke his leg. You had to suspect that the writers would play it this way. No grand revenge.

not from his broken leg, but from breaking his own code. His success in previosu years came from watching, waiting, making sure that he knew exactly what was going down before acting.

His desperation to avenge butchie's death meant that he gave all of that up, something which he didn't do previously - he waited from s1 to s3 to get his revenge on stringer.

once he gave up his code, he was done.

rewatching series 5, a thought occurred to me that didn't the last time: do vondas and the greek give marlo up? Before the meeting with vondas, marlo never uses a phone, after prop joe tells him that he never touches a phone anymore (s4). but vondas encourages him to use the telephone.

when marlo gives levy his phone number, levy is pleased because he knows that sooner or later they will probably get a wire tap case.

do the greeks set marlo up for a fall, knowing that he probably killed joe?

I can't believe how calm you all are about Omar

I was fucking hysterical when I saw that first time! I kept willing him to get up off the floor, could not take in that this was the end - even in the morgue I thought it was still a trick and that he'd get up and go off

:(:(:(:(

I was fucking hysterical when I saw that first time! I kept willing him to get up off the floor, could not take in that this was the end - even in the morgue I thought it was still a trick and that he'd get up and go off

he had it coming so it was no real surprise - i was more upset by the demise of bodie

I was gutted when i saw it the first time, and very pissed off. Just thought he made it through everything else, just seemed really cheap. I suppose that was the point though. A bit similar to the way most of the big guns in City of God got gunned down.

he had it coming so it was no real surprise - i was more upset by the demise of bodie

I didn't think he had it coming at all. How so?

I was gutted when i saw it the first time, and very pissed off. Just thought he made it through everything else, just seemed really cheap. I suppose that was the point though. A bit similar to the way most of the big guns in City of God got gunned down.

I think I completely fell hook line and sinker for some kind of immortality shit

Just didn't think he was capable of being killed

I didn't think he had it coming at all. How so?

I think I completely fell hook line and sinker for some kind of immortality shit

Just didn't think he was capable of being killed

T o be honest, i love Omar but thought the immortailty line was a bit over the top - when he was doing the robberies only takes one yo to shot him as he walked away from his robberies. I always thought the Wire was meant to be realistic, rather than Commado or something. One man cannot take on a whole room of tooled up drug dealers by himself.

I'm with you blud

I even named a cat after him

T o be honest, i love Omar but thought the immortailty line was a bit over the top - when he was doing the robberies only takes one yo to shot him as he walked away from his robberies. I always thought the Wire was meant to be realistic, rather than Commado or something. One man cannot take on a whole room of tooled up drug dealers by himself.

But he always had the drop on them. And it was known that he was a killer.

A roomful of tooled up dealers, but who wants to draw first? Knowing that first to draw is a dead man?

I fucking hero-worshipped the guy :oops::D Proper outlaw :cool:

Not too many gay superheros.
not from his broken leg, but from breaking his own code.
<snip>
once he gave up his code, he was done.
His code was about civilians and Sunday's and not swearing, etc, imo. I'd agree that in pursuit of Marlo he broke his own rules to the game - the grief of losing his father figure in a very ugly way caused him to lose his mind a little. That followed on from the poor judgement when busting into the flat. No space in Metro to report the death.

I suppose the thing about Kennard is he's the generation after the next generation, and we've been told enough about how even the next generation plays the game differently.

Lots of humour in this hour, I thought.

I really love the way omar got done by a 14 year old rather then a massive shoot out.

So unclichéd twas good work.

dave

the actor was 12 in the final season, Kenard himself was the youngest of Namons mates, probably a couple of years younger than namon.

RIP to one of tellys great anti-heros:(,did'nt think he'd get done by a fucking kid,can anyone explain what Lester was trying to do when he met Clay Davis in the bar? I though Davis was cleared during one of last weeks eps and did'nt the Federal bloke tell him nothing more was going to be done about Davis?

Been watching The Corner lately and it's odd seeing a lot of the Wire actors as junkies and street types - Lester is a scabby old junkie, as is Norman. Sydnor's a street kid, Cedric's wife's a skanky addict etc etc

Not a patch on the Wire but worth seeing, btw

essentially a form of blackmail wasn't it? Didn't Lester want a name or something?

Something like that. Although they had already been told they couldn't take the case federal, Davis wouldn't have known this so Freamon was using that as his stick.

Back
Top Bottom