Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

I don't think HBO even wanted to comission series 5 tbh, the ratings were never all that great. That's why this series was cropped to 10 episodes instead of the usual 13 IIRC.

At the time of the launch of series 4, HBO did a massive push, because the ratings for the first 3 series were so poor but critically acclaimed, they felt a massive PR boost could finally bring up the ratings.

One of the things they did is give out the entire series to critics in advance of air time of the first episode. They felt that if critics got a sense of the arc, they'd write glowing reviews in advance of the series. Which they did. Also copies of the screeners were on the internet before they even aired in the states.

Still didn't do much for ratings and other station would have dropped it. But HBO went fuck it. Lets finish it up.

The overwhelming arc was the streets, the docks, the politics and mid level police management, the schools and the politics, and then the news. And how they all tie together.

Forgot to add, Bubs' scene last night may have co-incided with a large piece of grit getting in my eyes.

Also, Marlo finding out about Omar's taunts was a great piece of acting too, it occurs that he's never raised his voice at all until that scene and the effect is chilling. Bravo Jamie Hector.

I'm refusing to let go off this show and am commissioningg series 6 as of now. We can make it ourselves urbs on the streets of Brixtonmall.

I'll play McNaulty

What parts do you guys want?

Can we make Dwyer be Omar? Elapse time before he'd die walking down coldharbour lane?

The way they've been foreshadowed and then the way they're waved around centre stage suggests the $80,000 hands (each one) matter. But how; metaphor, symbolism, pastiche, irony . . . ? It's a bit like finding a rationale for that bloody ring.

$80,000 a year would be about the cost of a 20-year senior reporter like Twigg was, or it might build sheltered accommodation perhaps, or 2 teachers, or a couple of police maybe . . . seems a little obvious for DS, but then he's not been exactly subtle in S5 as he looks to make all the points he wants to make before it's too late.

Fwiw, for those wise enough to avoid the cut and thrust of US politics, Walter Reed has a place in recent US political discourse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Reed_Army_Medical_Center_neglect_scandal

Michael's a fucking dude :cool:

Heartbreaking scenes afterwards though (first leaving Bug and then dropping Dukie off at the junkyard / stables?). Nice call back to the first time we meet the boys too (piss balloons), a lot's changed :(

And McNulty's shit is royally fucked, Daniels and Pearlman look like they might add him to the serial killer's body count :D

That scene was ace 'Hows my hair look?'

Badass till the end, that snoop

Dissappointed with Kima,as McNulty said the serial killer stuff will eventually peter out,the whole deception was a means to an end,Herc is a complete cunt got a feeling what he told that lawyer will mean Marlo walks,Micheal's a smart cookie,knew that he was going to be set up,seems Lester is still with Shardeen lucky bastard :),who did they drop Bug off to?

Also, Marlo finding out about Omar's taunts was a great piece of acting too, it occurs that he's never raised his voice at all until that scene and the effect is chilling. Bravo Jamie Hector.

yeah I'm with you. He's growling and furious, really noticable contrast. Might also be to do with the fact his empire has crumbled too.

Dissappointed with Kima,as McNulty said the serial killer stuff will eventually peter out,the whole deception was a means to an end,Herc is a complete cunt got a feeling what he told that lawyer will mean Marlo walks,Micheal's a smart cookie,knew that he was going to be set up,seems Lester is still with Shardeen lucky bastard :)

Firstly did anyone else notice Polk in the Evidence locker at the end of episode 9? Polk was the was one of the drunk Daniels got stuck with at the start of season one, and was sent to Rehab. Thats a fucking gem of a touch there.

Kima's loyalty was to Daniel's first, she knows that if McNulty's scheme gets accidentally found out it could bring down Lester, Kima, Carver, and a whole host of officers who faked their run sheets claiming they were working on the red string killer, when they were infact sneakingly taking down Marlo.

Secondly if it came out that Marlo's wiretap came from the phone their were bugging belonging to the serial killer, the whole Marlo case could collapse. Kima's being good police, and a smart police.

Poor Dukie a nice kid who could do well in the right environment like Namond,will prob end up as another Bubbles,shame Prez could'nt become his guardian

I'd forgotten how cool it was to see Micheal taking up Omars role.

A complex and unsatisfying ending. No easy answers or neat endings.

Cycle just keeps on turning, more dealing and killing on the corners, more bullshit in the police dept, heaps more bullshit in city hall.

A bit of an anti-climax with no Omar or Snoop in the last episide but not too bad, circles keep turning, some nice little touches in the final collage scenes. I'll miss McNaulty & Bunk that's for sure. Where do I go for good TV now? I feel empty with no Sopranos or The Wire to look forward to.

I usually recommend Homicide: Life on the Street to those who never watched it and are suffering from Wire withdrawal.

Homicide Office:

thewiresoundstage1-440x294.jpg

Baltimore Sun:

the_wire.jpg

A bit of an anti-climax with no Omar or Snoop in the last episide but not too bad, circles keep turning, some nice little touches in the final collage scenes. I'll miss McNaulty & Bunk that's for sure. Where do I go for good TV now? I feel empty with no Sopranos or The Wire to look forward to.

Treme and Boardwalk Empire both coming later this year from HBO.

First is David Simon and is starring Bunk and Lester. Second is Scorsese produced with Steve Buscemi and Stephen Graham.

yeah I'm with you. He's growling and furious, really noticable contrast. Might also be to do with the fact his empire has crumbled too.

Nah that didn't bother him. The only thing that ever bothered him was his name. To the extent that you could get wacked for even a rumour that you'd said something about him. Even if he thought you probably hadn't said anything. Just the fact of the rumour was enough.

I imagine there wasn't too many people gutted at Cheese's demise,found meself saying 'good on ya SlimCharles'

I imagine there wasn't too many people gutted at Cheese's demise,found meself saying 'good on ya SlimCharles'

Said it was for Joe but I'm imagining it was more a case of:

I could live with Joe being king
I could live with Marlo being king
But I'm fucked if I'm going to have you bossing me around.

Back
Top Bottom