Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Top 20 UK Techno records of the 1990s

Much as I love many of the tracks from the OP, and many others mentioned on this thread, much like Cloud's thread on dubstep sooo many of the tunes are 'boy' records - clever, well crafted bits of electronica that you'll never see a roomfull of women dancing to. Which to my mind kinda defeats the point...
that's just nonsense - there's loads of girls at the parties i go to. i know loads of lassed who dig good techno. are you saying girls only like shit techno? that's a bit of an insult.
Yeah, but particularly in the late 90s there were a lot of techno nights that were all looped banging techno, dodgy Jeff Mills rip offs all night long (mixed on 4 dex + FX, so the DJ can show off his 'skillz') and you'd look around the room at all these shaved headed blokes locked into the music and think 'fuck this' and go home.

Good sets have some variety in them - there's no shortage of varieties of techno, so there's no excuse for DJs not to mix it up a bit, which good ones do. I've got nothing against a bit of minimal loopage - if I heard Reverting or Automatic in a club now I'd go apeshit, as long as it was part of a decent set.

There's a tendancy in many kinds of dance music - D'n'B, dubstep, breaks and techno especially - for some producers & DJs to make it all dark and stripped down, which to my ears just takes the fun out of the music. And on those dancefloors it does tend towards blokes shuffling about nodding at how heavy the music is.

i just want to exlude all the stayupforever crap!

quite right. as well as simply being shite there's really no 'bloodline' one can follow from that guff back to the 'origins' of techno.

HOWEVER! to return to my argument, great bloke tho he i and irrespective of how mmuch I like his music (a lot!) one could also say the same about, say surgeon (who is included in this list) as i'd say his 'sound' owes more to early 80s industrial acts (think certain rhymic parts in Eizunsterne Neubauten or early Test Dept or Cabs tracks looped with a kick drum) than the Bellvue three?

this is not a criticism , just an opinion.

but, if one were to agree with this hypothesis i don't really see how music of this ilk should be included and early warp type stuff not.

:)

you could say the same about any non-mainstream genre

but in this context, isn't that simply a reflection on just how distorted people's definition and expectation of 'real techno' (sic.) is?

I mean, to me, 'real techno' is the stuff on transmat, KMS, metroplex, incognito etc etc from say 1986 to 1990 - FFS! inner city "good life" was regarded as 'techno' when that came out - it was the 'techno track that had cracked the mainstream' and i don't think anyone on the planet could regard 'good life' as 'alienating' :confused:

so, since when did 'UK techno' become a genre?:confused:

that would suggest that when people speak of UK techno there is a definable 'sound' they are referring to, like 'detroit techno'...or 'tartan techno' :)

as both of which are easily identifiable, where-as i'd have thought, if anything, the point of this list was to demonstrate the diversity of techno artists and producers from the UK.

quite right. as well as simply being shite there's really no 'bloodline' one can follow from that guff back to the 'origins' of techno.

HOWEVER! to return to my argument, great bloke tho he i and irrespective of how mmuch I like his music (a lot!) one could also say the same about, say surgeon (who is included in this list) as i'd say his 'sound' owes more to early 80s industrial acts (think certain rhymic parts in Eizunsterne Neubauten or early Test Dept or Cabs tracks looped with a kick drum) than the Bellvue three?

this is not a criticism , just an opinion.

but, if one were to agree with this hypothesis i don't really see how music of this ilk should be included and early warp type stuff not.

:)
don't forget this was a personal list and was never intended to be comprehensive

so, since when did 'UK techno' become a genre?:confused:

that would suggest that when people speak of UK techno there is a definable 'sound' they are referring to, like 'detroit techno'...or 'tartan techno' :)

as both of which are easily identifiable, where-as i'd have thought, if anything, the point of this list was to demonstrate the diversity of techno artists and producers from the UK.
it isn't a genre. no one said it was.

doesn't make it a genre, in the same way, 'american techno' isn't either.
'uk techno' doesn't have a uniform, recognisable sound in the same way detroit techno has

fair enough. get your point and i agree.
incidentally, i'd never thought about it before but it noone really ever refers to 'american techno' do they?
if you were to talk about techno from america folk would just immediately asume detroit stuff.
I suppose there was all that lennie dee/adam x type stuff but that was basically all a bit crap (apart from, 'we have arrived') - and obviously there's Joey Beltram from new york (and a few of the early Nu Groove releases were indisuptably 'techno'), but other than that i can't think of many US 'techno' producers of note :confused:

I'm the "dork" who wrote the article.

I've given my reasons for the list. It was never meant to be comprehensive, and as I have stipulated, is a personal list. There are lots of fantastic records and producers that don't make it, but that doesn't preclude their ability - it's just that you have to draw a line somewhere.

In hindsight, I'd have replaced the McLauchlan track with the Forgemasters Black Steel EP on Netwerk, but what is done is done.

You'd think I'd have created a list with divvy acid techno, underworld and the chemical brothers given some of the comments on this thread.

I'm the "dork" who wrote the article.

I've given my reasons for the list. It was never meant to be comprehensive, and as I have stipulated, is a personal list. There are lots of fantastic records and producers that don't make it, but that doesn't preclude their ability - it's just that you have to draw a line somewhere.

In hindsight, I'd have replaced the McLauchlan track with the Forgemasters Black Steel EP on Netwerk, but what is done is done.

You'd think I'd have created a list with divvy acid techno, underworld and the chemical brothers given some of the comments on this thread.

Don't forget technotronic.

uktechno-main.jpg

^ I got that :hmm: :mad: :confused: what the cover from 12"
I have 03: RELOAD A COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES - wouldn't call it techno tho

Back
Top Bottom