Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Banter between tracks on records.

How about all the ads inbeween the songs on the Flaunt It LP by Sigue Sigue Sputnik?

I used to hate hate hate that they did that, now I quite like it.
At the time there was talk of all LPs selling the gaps between songs and it seemed like a terrible idea.

I still absolutely hate the radio bits Cheeseburger do between songs on their LP.

Does anybody care about Cheeseburger?
Famous for having an adult swim animator on guitar (they were on the label)
This whole LP feels completely unfinished. It's got some great songs but also a load of faff that should not have been let on. . . also very notable that it's just guitar and drums, but in a way that doesn't sound like that was intended. . like they just didn't finish the recording or mixing (They are a five piece band on all other recordings)

Oops gone off topic.

The Who did lots of fake ads and jingles on “Sell Out”

There's a Tom Waits live album where the banter is removed and on a separate disc, like disjointed spoken word/stand up. Not sure it works out of context.

Oh My Golly! was the first to come to mind for me :D
I like that one. It's like a short story / prose / poetry.
It starts off. Who is he talking to? Why is he angry? Sound like a jerk
It's to a woman? Why? What a tit.
Oh plot twist, it's the invisible listener that has got the wrong end of the stick and (probably) unfairly berating the protagonist.
Great story.

Kacey Musgraves' gran, at the start of This Town:

We had a girl that came in with a drug overdose the other day
And she got real belligerent
And she bit one of the nurses (oh, man)
And, I mean, she bit, you could see every tooth
It took two or three of us to get her off of her
It's a crazy Wednesday

I have this single.

Records used to be cool.

I must have a rummage as I’ve got several 7” 33rpm records with about 8 tracks each - produced by the likes of Kellogg’s and Lyon’s - each track edited down to about 2 mins or less. Working in kitchens in the 80s, I used to get promotional cassettes with catering sized jars of Hayward’s pickles as well.

There's a bit on Totale's Turns (The Fall, and slightly different because it's live) where Smith says, in 1980)

"Are you still doing what you did two years ago? Yeah? Well don't make a career out of it."

Which is deliciously ironic now but really meant something at the time.

Also, the best introduction to Rowche* Rumble

"Last orders half past ten"

*Rowche was also a clever way of not getting sued (as opposed to Roche). My brother was in the Glaxo Babies and they had to change to Gl*xo Babies under threat of litigation.

I must have a rummage as I’ve got several 7” 33rpm records with about 8 tracks each - produced by the likes of Kellogg’s and Lyon’s - each track edited down to about 2 mins or less. Working in kitchens in the 80s, I used to get promotional cassettes with catering sized jars of Hayward’s pickles as well.
wow that would be awesome. I had a thing for records and tapes of advert, tv themes and computer game music in the late 80s / 90s I bought loads of trash.

The end of Siouxsie and the Banshees’ She’s a Carnival.
“Did ya get that? This one’s for a prize” 2.50

Last edited:
Just found out that someone actually compiled a book of MES's:

Also, I take it we're counting samples off of films as being a separate category?

Also, London, England, consider yourself warned.

The expanded edition of the album Moanin' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers has a bonus track consisting of 30 seconds of warm up and conversation between Lee Morgan (trumpet) and Rudy Van Gelder (engineer) about how close to the microphone Lee should stand to play his solo compared to the ensemble playing.

How about all the ads inbeween the songs on the Flaunt It LP by Sigue Sigue Sputnik?

I used to hate hate hate that they did that, now I quite like it.
At the time there was talk of all LPs selling the gaps between songs and it seemed like a terrible idea.

Yet now with monetised youtube and spotify it's almost exactly what we've come to expect, advertising between tracks :(

Favorite answering machine message on an album?

Mine has to be the totally non-decipherable first 15 seconds of 'This Is A Bad' by Goldie

Also on answerphones, there's Providence by Sonic Youth off Daydream Nation. Dreamlike and sort of otherworldly...

OK I've finished being off topic :thumbs:

Also on answerphones, there's Providence by Sonic Youth off Daydream Nation. Dreamlike and sort of otherworldly...

OK I've finished being off topic :thumbs:

That reminds me. The Cicone Youth LP has bucket loads of 'art chat'

It's a whole album of filler and 'between song ramble'. . . . I quite like it though, I really enjoyed it as a teen.
Side note. Pussy Galore thought Sonic Youth were covering the Beatles White Album in its entirety so covered the entirety of the Rolling Stones Exile

Back
Top Bottom