Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Banter between tracks on records.

Is my previous post a reference to one of the great Swedish albums of the 90s, or a dig at DLR's dated posting style? Take yer pick.

Not an on-record thing so much as a live thing, but I always thought that the Glaswegian alt-folk singer Chrissy Barnacle was an OK musician, but would've been really great as a stand-up comedian. I once saw her do a little in-between-songs anecdote about when she was working as a dental hygenist and experienced a sudden moment of unexpected erotic thrill when her gloved fingers accidentally brushed up against the fingers of her otherwise-unattractive dentist inside a patient's mouth, and ever since then I find myself reminded of that story every time I've gone to the dentist. Perhaps now you will too.

Right at the end of INQB8TR by Bark Psychosis, an answering machine message: "What you doing, playing on your Shatner's bassoon?"
Ooh yeah, answerphone messages are a good subgenre.

Mixmaster Mike right at the beginning here:

And this isn't between tracks but the voicemail message from Little Simz' cousin at the end of this is beautiful:

Ooh yeah, answerphone messages are a good subgenre.

Mixmaster Mike right at the beginning here:

And this isn't between tracks but the voicemail message from Little Simz' cousin at the end of this is beautiful:

You seen the video to Three MCs?

"It's a weird new language innit? It's, it's the hunes. It's the hune. The hoons that took over from the hunes."

Can't work out if MES is actually talking to the women who are discussing whether there might be some little shops at the end of the bridges. It's a weird contrast.

Last edited:
Can't be the only one thinking of the Pixies.

"...girls and fucked them at school... all I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players... there were rumours"
"So I applied, basically..."
"He was gone the next day"
"...and went out for the team"
"It's like, he was gone, they were like it was like, so hush hush, they were so quiet about it. And then the next thing you know..."
First one that came to mind.

The ones on Dre's 2001 are unlistenable...
Now.

They told me that the classics never go out of style, but... they do, they do.
Also at the end of liberation frequency there is the skit starting "there's more coming". It was on a punkorama album and I still sometimes think it is at the beginning of the Nekromantix track that follows it. It fits really well.

Tiny bit of a niche one this, but does papusadrianuspapusadrianuspapusadrianuspapusadrianuspapusadrianuspapusadrianuspapusadrianuspapusadrianus count?

Keep On Your Mean Side by the Kills is a great dumb horny garage rock album that inexplicably features about a minute of tedious babbling about how they do the effects for the weather forecast on telly. It's not a highlight of the album.

How about all the ads inbeween the songs on the Flaunt It LP by Sigue Sigue Sputnik?

I used to hate hate hate that they did that, now I quite like it.
At the time there was talk of all LPs selling the gaps between songs and it seemed like a terrible idea.

I still absolutely hate the radio bits Cheeseburger do between songs on their LP.

Does anybody care about Cheeseburger?
Famous for having an adult swim animator on guitar (they were on the label)
This whole LP feels completely unfinished. It's got some great songs but also a load of faff that should not have been let on. . . also very notable that it's just guitar and drums, but in a way that doesn't sound like that was intended. . like they just didn't finish the recording or mixing (They are a five piece band on all other recordings)

Oops gone off topic.

Roy Harper has a pre-track ramble:

Producer: “Rolling!”

RH: “A joint. I want everything laid on when I get in there next time”

Back
Top Bottom