Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Top 20 UK Techno records of the 1990s

Slam, positive education?

along with josh wink 'higher state' and the Hardfloor's trance-tastic murdering of Robert Armani's 'circus bells' -

one of my ALL TIME MOST HATED RECORDS - and in fact the reason i packed in going to techno clubs for over ten years.

if i hear 'positive education' it completely fucking ruins my night and i have to leave whatever club it is i am in.

Some people are getting right confused about this :D
Orbital, belfast?
Orbital came out of the free party/M25 rave scene, then were big on the Megadog/festival scene (which had more to do with pre-Gatecrasher trance than the sort of techno the OP is on about) then ended up in their own bubble playing traditional gigs rather than at clubs/parties.
what about the liberators stuff / dave the drummer / roland the bastard ? i know they were more uk squat / london city acid techno but there was some good stuff about on routemaster and stay up forever records!!!
Yep, the stuff Guy McAffer did was great.

Much preferred all that to stuff you'd hear at Club (full of kids) UK.
At Club UK (and Eurobeat 2000 and a lot of other techno clubs) in 94/95ish you'd hear both acid techno and 'proper' techno. You were as likely to hear Bang the Acid as anything on the OP's list. After about 95 there seemed to be a complete schism and the 2 sounds moved into completely different scenes, with acid techno being championed by the squat party people while 'real' techno stayed in the clubs.

Maybe it's just cos I was into it, but it seemed massive at the time, with big clubs in every major city in the country packed out every weekend with pilled up nutters going mental.

It was when all that looped stuff took over that I kind of lost a lot of interest in the scene until a few years ago. When Purpose Maker first came out in 95 it sounded fucking amazing, but gradually that sound took over the scene and a lot of the joy in the music (not to mention most of the girls in the clubs) disappeared.

/reminisces/

do you go by another name on another board mr spandex?
You've asked me that before... :hmm:

don't really like much UK techno but to be fair i've never really paid much attention to much stuff that isn't from detroit, apart from the odd european thing (the PHENOMENAL 'a new day' by Round Two or 'the vineyard' by Stefan Robbers etc)

that said, EVERYTHING on this label is absolutely fucking INCREDIBLE! sure some of the tracks wil be posted up on youtube so you'll see what i mean if you check them;

http://www.discogs.com/label/Big+Sound+Works

Here ya go:

Well I did try. Gave it a proper a go at listening to several of these tracks.

Good lord it's dull. I know I know. some people think that about the stuff I like. But really. :confused::confused:

actually, i've just been looking up youtube to see if i could find any of the 'big sound works' records and came across this which i'd never heard before:

(We R Who We R - Derivitive (kirk smith techno mix) 1990)

waaaay cool track! :)

actually, i've just realised something pretty glaringly fucking obvious about this list - how come no Sweet Exorcist, Forgemasters etc? surely a lot of those early '90s warp releases were the epoch of UK techno?

actually, i've just realised something pretty glaringly fucking obvious about this list - how come no Sweet Exorcist, Forgemasters etc? surely a lot of those early '90s warp releases were the epoch of UK techno?
The bloke who did the list explains why he didn't include all sorts of stuff in the article linked to in the OP :)

they were slow, beepy, bassy records and came out of the northern rave scene - uk techno records came out of that,for sure, but were separate to many. i'm talking about records that were big in the techno clubs in the mid 90s

Back
Top Bottom