Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Top 20 UK Techno records of the 1990s

Convextion from Dallas
Jay Denham from Kalamazoo
Beltram/Bones et al from NY
plenty of windy city producers

ok, if we're going to get into debating whether trax by the likes of rush, steve poindexter and the rest of the saber records/chicago bad boys crew are house or techno I shall take the dog out first and phone up for a pizza as it's gonna be a loooooong night.

[for the record, i'd say 'yes' in the case of DJ Skull and a few others but even then generally only on their releases on D-Jax, Pro-jex or such European labels]

S: Jay Denham is from Detroit. Kalamazoo is the largest city in michigan. :)

afraid i don't know Convextion from Dallas
had mentioned joey beltram before, but surely frankie bones is more house than techno?
but granted, Dan Curtin.
His 3rd from the sun 3p + that one he did with John Beltran are amazing. the Open House stuff too.

kalamazoo is equidistant from chicago and detroit
i would have thought detroit was the largest city in michigan
but i can't be arsed getting into this cos it looks like it would be well boring
:)

I'm the "dork" who wrote the article.

I've given my reasons for the list. It was never meant to be comprehensive, and as I have stipulated, is a personal list. There are lots of fantastic records and producers that don't make it, but that doesn't preclude their ability - it's just that you have to draw a line somewhere.

In hindsight, I'd have replaced the McLauchlan track with the Forgemasters Black Steel EP on Netwerk, but what is done is done.

You'd think I'd have created a list with divvy acid techno, underworld and the chemical brothers given some of the comments on this thread.

:confused:

no. noone is in any way whatsoever criticising your choices. least of all me. I think in my first post i said i only even recognised a few of the tracks, as i have been totally out of the loop of 'techno' since before even the mid 90s, which is when I imagine most of those artists started becoming popular. I just thought it interesting that in a list of 'best' 90s uk techno releases (clearly written by someone with very good taste and excellent knowledge of the genre) the likes of sweet exorcist, forgemasters and associated releases were ommitted.

If someone ever asked me to define 'good' uk techno it is those sort of releases i would have thought of first.

but this may simply demonstrate just how out of touch and behind the times i am, in which case i am happy to admit my ignorance.

:)

... and I agree, all that Liberator stuff isn't really techno.

That said, the free/underground party scene is one of the most significant aspects of the UK's contribution to techno culture, so it might have been nice to see some representation for the likes of SP23, Subhead, Desert Storm etc. Then again, their parties were generally more memorable than their records.

Kalamazoo is the largest city in michigan. :)

Not before Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint and loads of other places. Biggest in Southwest Michigan it is.

DJ Rabble- Snuff Musix
Simon "Big Stuff" Pinto- Pardon Breaks (Dirty Boyz '88 Mix)
and DuShon- Death Chants In The Bleak House
are never far away from my decks. Worth a mint these days and rare as fuck, pure bangin' tech from the old days.

Not before Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint and loads of other places. Biggest in Southwest Michigan it is..

My apologies. Suffice it to say I must have picked it up wrongly from a certain producer/Dj of whom I enquired the origin of his label.

DJ Rabble- Snuff Musix
Simon "Big Stuff" Pinto- Pardon Breaks (Dirty Boyz '88 Mix)
and DuShon- Death Chants In The Bleak House
are never far away from my decks. Worth a mint these days and rare as fuck, pure bangin' tech from the old days.

to be honest, i have never even heard of one of those trax. :confused:

incidentally, I have just realised this thread has made me into the person I have always hoped I would never become. :(

And people wonder why techno died in the UK.

another interesting point. is this the case? Only recently I was looking through Time Out to see if there were any decent looking techno nights in London and have also been asking folk i know but so far the silence has been deafening.

do you really think techno has died in the UK? And if so, why? It appears to be getting bigger and bigger everywhere else in Europe (and Eastern Europe) so why not here?

I'm the "dork" who wrote the article.

I've given my reasons for the list. It was never meant to be comprehensive, and as I have stipulated, is a personal list. There are lots of fantastic records and producers that don't make it, but that doesn't preclude their ability - it's just that you have to draw a line somewhere.

In hindsight, I'd have replaced the McLauchlan track with the Forgemasters Black Steel EP on Netwerk, but what is done is done.

You'd think I'd have created a list with divvy acid techno, underworld and the chemical brothers given some of the comments on this thread.

We can claim both cj bolland and ritchie hawtin, such an oversight cannot be forgiven.

another interesting point. is this the case? Only recently I was looking through Time Out to see if there were any decent looking techno nights in London and have also been asking folk i know but so far the silence has been deafening.

do you really think techno has died in the UK? And if so, why? It appears to be getting bigger and bigger everywhere else in Europe (and Eastern Europe) so why not here?

You can always come to our night. We've had Surgeon, Pole, Rob Hall, Omar-S, Donato Dozzy, I-F, Legowelt, Convextion, DJ Stingray, Microthol, Scorn and plenty others in the last 2 years.

The fact is - don't look in Time Out for a decent night.

acid techno isn't divvy :(

(it's the acid you eat which divs you up)

*puts on world war 303 and DANCES

*Agrees with Mation.

*kills everyone else

You can always come to our night. We've had Surgeon, Pole, Rob Hall, Omar-S, Donato Dozzy, I-F, Legowelt, Convextion, DJ Stingray, Microthol, Scorn and plenty others in the last 2 years.

The fact is - don't look in Time Out for a decent night.

Of course. Where do you suggest we look for our dose of anaemic, straight-boy, flatcap techno then?

actually, i don't really know why that sort of stuff was ever called 'acid techno' in the first place. Surely 'acid hardcore' (or even 'acid rave') would have been a more accurate genre term.

other than simply 'shit' of course. :)

Back
Top Bottom