Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Top 20 UK Techno records of the 1990s

I see he's made a point of not including the obvious Black Dog, Aphex Twin, Dave Clarke etc, although you have to wonder where the line is drawn in terms of what's obvious and what's not - presumably Reload is acceptable but Global Communication isn't? What about Plaid or Universal Indicator? Anyway...

A few things that I would have included ahead of some of the stuff on that list - some possibly more obvious than others.

Surgeon - Magneze (Force & Form was good but lacked a standout)
Various - A.R.T. 1 EP (Arguably the definitive post-Detroit 'new electronica' record)
Speed Jack - Storm (dark, menacing Mark Bell-produced dancefloor techno)
Subjective - Tremmer (slightly more 'musical' Advent side project)
Counterpoint - Jigsaw (more killer dancefloor techno by Mark Bell)
Dave Angel - New Orchestrations EP and 3rd Voyage EP (at his best doing this driving dancefloor -Detroit style)
Reload - Auto Reload EP (the Black Dog remix of 'Le Soleil Et La Mer' is for me superior to the original, which is itself by far the best tune on the patchy 'Short Stories' LP)
Earl Brown - Cornucopia EP (interesting melodic techno on T&B)
Stasis/Nuron - Likemind 01 (Funky Purple Hotpants...)
Universal Indicator - TR 606 EP (the red one - brilliantly raw out-of tune acid)
Plaid - Angry Dolphin EP (if he can have Reload I'm having Plaid)

Maybe a few more bits worth checking there for the Youtubers. I could go on, but I wouldn't want to be too much of a bore...

Incidentally DJ Trace is English - he used to DJ on Kool FM back in the day and moved to the States in the mid-late 90s.

he didn't get included cos he's already so well established, same reason advent wasn't included. i think one of the purposes of the list was to unearth overlooked gems.

So not the top 20 best techno records of the 90s from the uk then. Just the top 20 best techno records of the 90s from the uk that were overlooked from a very narrow range of music that has been classified as techno in the UK.

No Weatherall productions/ remixes :(

"(russ)Gabriel and Kirk De Giorgio just miss out on this list"

here's a mix of it:
http://www.bleep43recordings.com/mixes/Show141.mp3
In-Sync vs Mysteron - Next World
Stasis - Mnemic Image
Ian O'Brien - Mad Mike Disease
Digital Justice - Can't u See
Santos Rodriguez - Road to Rio A1
Baby Ford & Eon -Dead Eye
Holy Ghost - Mad Monks on Zinc
Surgeon - Remants of What Once Was
LA Synthesis - Agraphobia
B12 - Telefone 529
7th Plain - Lost
The Clan - Mongol Hordes
Roupe - Sula Bassana
Reload - Peschi
Clark - Knowledge
As One - Shambala
PAS - Booster
Dave Angel - Airborne (C2 drums suck remix)
G-Man - Quo Vadis
andrew mclauchlan - Love Story
Oliver Ho - The Gathering
Steve Bicknell - Why? and for who?
Russ Gabriel - Tokyo Sun
Wild Planet - Electron (speedy j remix)
Vogel - Ninjah
Neil Landstrumm - Home Delivery
Polygon Window - Quoth
Bandulu - Presence
Regis - Speak to Me

Can you not just loop any old teckno track and you have the lot?

;)

"...An era of looped techno had begun, and in my opinion it damaged some areas of the scene permanently; numbers in clubs dwindled rapidly, crowds only interested if the big US DJs such as Mills, Hawtin or Derrick May happened to be playing. Nonetheless, the contrast between the quality of British techno records released now and in 1995 is utterly startling, with only a handful of producers still pushing the genre forward. Like those prog rockers in the late 60s, many musicians in the field realised the genre's limitations, and sought to experiment elsewhere."

But seriously...

CLARK

LOFTHOUSE EP

(PLANET E, 1995) .

MUSICOLOGY

MUSICOLOGY EP

(B12, 1991)

LUKE SLATER'S 7TH PLAIN

THE 4 CORNERED ROOM

(GENERAL PRODUCTIONS, 1994) .

IN SYNC

'STORM'

(IRDIAL, 1992) .

what about the liberators stuff / dave the drummer / roland the bastard ? i know they were more uk squat / london city acid techno but there was some good stuff about on routemaster and stay up forever records!!!

what about the liberators stuff / dave the drummer / roland the bastard ? i know they were more uk squat / london city acid techno but there was some good stuff about on routemaster and stay up forever records!!!

they're shit. end of.

Yep, the stuff Guy McAffer did was great.

Much preferred all that to stuff you'd hear at Club (full of kids) UK.

I used to goto EUROBEAT 2000 in a tiny little basement of Gossips, Dean Street. Caught not only great UK techno artists there but some awesome european DJs too

Back
Top Bottom