Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

Now that the slapdust has settled, it looks like Chris Rock handled it very well by staying silent and not trying to retaliate in any way - shows in his comedy tour are selling out while Will Smith has resigned from the Academy is disgrace and there's talk that he might be finished, at least for now, as an A-list star.

Reactions: Ax^
Smith has apologised to all and sundry, resigned from the Oscars, Rock hasn't apologised for his bad taste joke to anyone let alone JPS. Did he get a free pass to say whatever about whoever?

oh smith career is not over

he now a bad boy just like his movie series is title

expect him to appear now as an action hero in the Densel/Nelson set up

might not work for disney again thats about it

Now that the slapdust has settled, it looks like Chris Rock handled it very well by staying silent and not trying to retaliate in any way - shows in his comedy tour are selling out while Will Smith has resigned from the Academy is disgrace and there's talk that he might be finished, at least for now, as an A-list star.

Hollywood doesn't have a moral bottom. How long did they know that Bill Cosby and Weinstein were predators? They still had careers long after it was publicly known. As long as there's money to be made on projects with an actor's name attached, they'll have a career.

Reactions: Ax^
Anyone can snap and carry out an unacceptable action at least once in their lives, as undoubtedly most of us will have done. What Will Smith did was unacceptable, but as a one-off incident, and one which he subsequently acknowledged was wrong and offered a full apology for, as well as voluntarily resigning from the voting committee, the eventual punishment he gets handed out should not be unduly harsh. He should certainly not have his Oscar award rescinded imo.

Hollywood doesn't have a moral bottom. How long did they know that Bill Cosby and Weinstein were predators? They still had careers long after it was publicly known. As long as there's money to be made on projects with an actor's name attached, they'll have a career.

Yeah, I noticed that the Academy saved its strongest words of condemnation for until after about 95% of the world's population had weighed in on the issue.

Anyone can snap and carry out an unacceptable action at least once in their lives, as undoubtedly most of us will have done. What Will Smith did was unacceptable, but as a one-off incident, and one which he subsequently acknowledged was wrong and offered a full apology for, as well as voluntarily resigning from the voting committee, the eventual punishment he gets handed out should not be unduly harsh. He should certainly not have his Oscar award rescinded imo.

Their racial track record is no better than their sexual harassment record. They aren't going to make themselves look worse by taking away the award from only the 5th African American man to win in a Lead Role. I think Polanski and Weinstein both still have their Oscars.

Last edited:
Looks like he can dish it out but can't take it

How old is that clip? A very quick Google suggests around 1991, so 30 years ago, when Smith was around 23.

I'm not about to claim I know the man's inner thoughts and beliefs, but he may well have changed his views in the intervening three decades, particularly given someone he cares about now has alopecia.

Who knows, maybe 2022 Will Smith would slap 1991 Will Smith too.

Just came across this, which is a long read on FB and instructive. It covers the politics of black women's hair, upbringing in a culture of violence, Spiral Dynamics, punching up/down, minstrel show, fragile masculinity, even male circumcision. No, seriously, it's worth reading.

Dickheads like Ricky Gervais and Bill Maher still pontificating about how this is a watershed moment for comedians who need to be defended from cancel culture when the only person I see being cancelled is Will Smith and Chris Rock keeps selling more tickets. Gervais has since gone on to mock Smith even more specifically for his cancellation and while he's at it, trivialise the condition of alopecia with a straight face. Reprehensible hypocrisy.

Dickheads like Ricky Gervais and Bill Maher still pontificating about how this is a watershed moment for comedians who need to be defended from cancel culture when the only person I see being cancelled is Will Smith and Chris Rock keeps selling more tickets. Gervais has since gone on to mock Smith even more specifically for his cancellation and while he's at it, trivialise the condition of alopecia with a straight face. Reprehensible hypocrisy.
Don’t you see that there is a difference between being cancelled for a violent physical assault vrs being cancelled for merely saying stuff out loud?
It’s not hypocrisy as it’s two different things.

Are you saying that violence shouldn’t have consequences? Expressing yourself with punches and kicks is freedom of expression?

Don’t you see that there is a difference between being cancelled for a violent physical assault vrs being cancelled for merely saying stuff out loud?
It’s not hypocrisy as it’s two different things.

Are you saying that violence shouldn’t have consequences? Expressing yourself with punches and kicks is freedom of expression?

"Violent physical assault", "punching and kicking". That's what happened, did it? I'd be curious to know what you think would be appropriate response to witnessing a parent slapping their child round the back of their head in public.

"Violent physical assault", "punching and kicking". That's what happened, did it? I'd be curious to know what you think would be appropriate response to witnessing a parent slapping their child round the back of their head in public.
A ten year ban from the Oscars for starters.

What do you think the appropriate response for assaulting a child is?

"Violent physical assault", "punching and kicking". That's what happened, did it?
It was a poor joke about someone's disability, but we simply can't empower people to assault others every time they take offence to something.

Chris Rock is significantly smaller, shorter and in his late 50's. If he had chosen to square-off, it could have easily changed the outcome to something far more serious.

Piss poor joke aside, the more I consider the incident, the better Chris Rock comes off. Meanwhile, the comedic floodgates have opened for Will Smith and his wife.

It was a poor joke about someone's disability, but we simply can't empower people to assault others every time they take offence to something.

Chris Rock is significantly smaller, shorter and in his late 50's. If he had chosen to square-off, it could have easily changed the outcome to something far more serious.

Piss poor joke aside, the more I consider the incident, the better Chris Rock comes off. Meanwhile, the comedic floodgates have opened for Will Smith and his wife.

It was a shitty joke but as posted above, Will Smith made almost exactly the same joke on Aresenio Hall in the past. And he was also done for GBH in in the 80s so he's got a bit of form. I cannot believe anyone could defend what he did - and I also cant believe Rock didn't hit the floor, it wasn't exactly a gentle slap. If he had I'm sure the cops would have got involved.

Oh I forgot to ask. Which movies or work projects has he been cancelled from by the way?

He’s been told they won’t invite him to the pats on the back fest that is the Oscars for ten years but that’s not cancelling his work. I’m not aware of any blacklists or boycotting his movies.

Oh I forgot to ask. Which movies or work projects has he been cancelled from by the way?

He’s been told they won’t invite him to the pats on the back fest that is the Oscars for ten years but that’s not cancelling his work. I’m not aware of any blacklists or boycotting his movies.

Almost all his projects have been halted, I believe.

My point is that the response by several comedians has revealed a lot about how they think. After years of lecturing their viewers to appreciate the nuance behind their edgy and insulting jokes for the cause of defending the right to freedom of expression, I would have hoped this incident a golden opportunity to be magnanimous. To recognise that Will Smith was wrong to react so disproportionately, but then to accept his apology at face value and move on. But what did we get instead? Chris Rock stays silent, cashes in on all the furore coming his adversary's way and then leaves his brother to keep ripping on him in public and rubbish his apology. Then bystanders like Maher and Gervais come along and gleefully delight in him receiving a punishment afforded only previously to a child rapist and serial predator, and then to top it off, continue to viciously insult not just Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, but all alopecia sufferers as if by doing so, they were fighting for some noble cause. It strikes me as vile.

To recognise that Will Smith was wrong to react so disproportionately, but then to accept his apology at face value and move on.
I suspect the hostility would be minimised if Smith had been removed/left directly after the incident, or had apologised in his acceptance speech. Neither of those things happened.

Anyone going to be watching on Sunday?

It's a tradition for me: prosecco, family pack of Doritos and salsa, sometimes a jar of Nutella and a spoon, this year the new Ben and Jerry's caramel brownie ice cream.

I will be taking pro plus this year again, as I didn't last year and fell asleep and missed the slap.

This years have seen half of the best pic nominees. Enjoyed them all. My bias is for Banshees, but award will probably go to All Quiet. Elvis is too manic for the Academy as is Everything Everywhere.

I feel a bit bad for Will Smith.

He slapped a guy much smaller than him who can verbally kick his ass out the park. He also seems to have been having a bad time himself despite his incredible riches.

He deserves some of what is coming but I hope Chris Rock knows when to drop the hatchet. These guys used to be friends.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen it. Nothing appeals less than a good old back slap fest of folk who earn more in a year than most others do in a lifetime. Although if a member of the audience is going to slap the compère again it might be worth the bother.

Back
Top Bottom