Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Oscars

Fair enough, though I do think the comments that he was okay with the 'joke' till he saw she wasn't are off. More a case of taking time to process what was being said.

I guess it’s possible if he was thinking about other stuff, and it makes sense that he would have had plenty on his mind, but I don’t buy it.

I improvised a session to run for each of my twelve classes this week, prompted by this incident. Only one session on Mondays which was interesting. A significant number of the (all male) students in the class said Smith was justified, but I prompted some discussion about male ego, toxic masculinity, women's voices being silenced, women being judged on looks not actions, etc etc. And then linked it all to the One Punch Can Kill campaign from a few years ago but which is as relevant a concept as ever. Was hard to hear some young men don't know another way to react than with violence or aggression.

What is it you teach, out of interest?

In the Golden Globes last year Ricky Gervais said whilst hosting "Oh look its Baby Yoda. Oh sorry, no its Joe Pesci"

Camera cuts to Pesci looking old and shrunken and wizened.

Is this in the same wheelhouse as the G.I. Jane joke?

Ricky Gervais is a prick.

He'd be the first to agree with you. But his golden globe roastings were pretty fucking funny. Far far worse than Chris Rock but everyone seemed to take it in the right spirit. Not get up there and assault him though im sure many of them wanted to.

The Golden Globes always made a feature of having a roasting host. As the biggest load of self-congratulatory wank it had to balance that with some acidity.

The Oscars have gone a bit that way, but it’s never really meant to be plain mean (to anyone there, at least).

Given JPS has said that she (having little choice) was going to embrace her hair loss, the joke could have been a mild crack, even a comradely one - if it had been made by Regina King or Wanda Sykes. But it was made by someone who has had a thing with her and her husband for years so it was bound to be taken (and was probably meant) as mean and wanky.

He'd be the first to agree with you. But his golden globe roastings were pretty fucking funny. Far far worse than Chris Rock but everyone seemed to take it in the right spirit. Not get up there and assault him though im sure many of them wanted to.
The best one was "Once upon a time in Hollywood was great but long, oh so long. Leonardo di Caprio went to the premiere and by the time it finished his date was too old for him."
Cuts to Leonardo smirking

Mucking hilarious

No. Ageing happens to everyone. It’s not kind, but it’s not disgusting.

Agree, def different ballpark, though not sure about your third sentence in terms of our current cultural attitudes. Also not sure what you’re saying is disgusting here.

Possibly you refer to something going on re: American attitudes towards black womens’ hair - that seems to be an intensifier that I’m not familiar with.

Class for under 5's...

Sing, Act and Dance in our musical theatre class. We teach them songs from some well known musicals and films. Become the characters with some fancy dress and role play.

When one punch from a 5 year old can kill, we’ll be in trouble.

Where was security, stage manager, asm, etc., etc., These events are micro managed/ choreographed to minutes and seconds. How come he could walk onto a stage unchallenged and do what he did and no one intervened in any way. After the mega protests that have happened at high profile events such as this I think we should be thankful that it was only a slap.
Chris Rock missed a beat when being told to "keep my wifes name out of your fucking mouth" He could have responded by telling him to keep his hair on, or he could have indicated that if he had a mouthful of anything from his wife, her name would not feature highly .
Go will sniff "Keep MY wifes name out of it" because of her hair loss she is unable to speak for herself.

Kind of gutted Will Smith is a dick I've been a fan I suppose since FP. Now I know that there's some Scientology bs his wife cheated on him with their sons freind and they are in a cough open relatationship. Maybe he wanted to cut Chris off before the roasting got more personal. He seems broken.

Kind of gutted Will Smith is a dick I've been a fan I suppose since FP. Now I know that there's some Scientology bs his wife cheated on him with their sons freind and they are in a cough open relatationship. Maybe he wanted to cut Chris off before the roasting got more personal. He seems broken.

In "open relationships" there always seems to be one partner who is less happy with that arrangement than the other.

Where was security, stage manager, asm, etc., etc., These events are micro managed/ choreographed to minutes and seconds. How come he could walk onto a stage unchallenged and do what he did and no one intervened in any way. After the mega protests that have happened at high profile events such as this I think we should be thankful that it was only a slap.
Chris Rock missed a beat when being told to "keep my wifes name out of your fucking mouth" He could have responded by telling him to keep his hair on, or he could have indicated that if he had a mouthful of anything from his wife, her name would not feature highly .
Go will sniff "Keep MY wifes name out of it" because of her hair loss she is unable to speak for herself.
Really?

In "open relationships" there always seems to be one partner who is less happy with that arrangement than the other.
Knowing a lot of couples who are in open relationships, that's not necessarily true. Even if one partner is less into it, it is something which has to be mutually agreed on and is far preferable to deceit. I'm not a fan of being judgemental of how other couples negotiate their sex life, in the end it's nobodies business but theirs.

Last edited:
Knowing a lot of couples who are in open relationships, that's not necessarily true. Even if one partner is less into it, it is something has to be negotiated and is far preferable to deceit. I'm not a fan of being judgemental of how other couples negotiate their sex life, in the end it's nobodies business but theirs.

It is entirely their business, but Will Smith hasn't looked like a happy person for a long time.

But they didn't send security in to haul him out of the front row kicking and shouting, which is weird because I thought they wanted the show to get better ratings this year.

now you got to ponder if will smith will borrow a Kia off a Walmart employer to get of photo ops of him apologising to Chris rock

Back
Top Bottom