Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Utter shit

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Never read him

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Koontz is fucking awful. IIRC there's a Wikipedia page dedicated to his faithfully repeated tropes.

Gerald's Game chilled me - death figure stirring a bag of stuff.

I've never let a rapey husband handcuff me to a bed in our cabin since.

i really liked koontz for a while but i was very young. can only remember one about some weird moth creatures from the past or something. his books got increasingly more romance than horror, and i realised he was not writing for me.

I've enjoyed a good few of his books, most recently the one about jfk. A really good storyteller.

I think he's very good at short stories - a good collection is Skeleton Crew - it has four I rate highly: The Jaunt, Survivor Type, The Mist, and The Reach.
Second that, The Jaunt and Survivor Type especially.

Haven't read a Stephen King for years, but in advance of the new film coming out, I picked up IT.

Not far in, but loving it so far - despite what the "playa-haterz" say, he's a great writer - well drawn characters, good pacing, great plots - what's not to like?
His stuff is so readable too

Hardly a literary genius, but a good story teller and a great pulp writer and there is no shame in that.
I enjoyed reading them in my teens and early 20s. I loved Carrie, The Shining, Salems Lot, The Dead Zone, Christine, Cujo and Misery and quite liked Firestarter, Nightshift and The Stand. Wasn't that keen on Pet Sematary and threw in the towel when I couldn't make it through "It". His novels eventually became bloated, self-indugent and repetitive and I gave up on him. In my mid-20s I also discovered lesser known contemporary horror writers I liked better, especially Stephen Gallagher, Dan Simmons and Thomas M. Disch.
that's almost word for word what i was going to say except i made it all the way through Tommyknockers before i decided to call it a day!

And I kind of gave up on Horror fiction around that time too - started reading much more Sci Fi instead.

eta - on a bit of a Kingathon right now - revisited The Stand, Carrie, Rage, and halfway through Salems Lot right now, in audio book form and its as entertaining as ever. Carrie was much better than i remembered and expected, especially as it was a first novel. I like the detail of his earlier shorter novels and the care to attention - the impeccable references and nods to earlier horror literature, especially as I'm quite a lot more well read now than i was then, i get the references.

Though I have to say his characters all kind of merge into each other. I think he writes in stereotypes rather than painting a vivid picture of individual and real, believable people. But the stories are great. At least early on they are.

Last edited:
Good overall. Preferred early novels, The Stand, Salem's Lot. Yes "It" went a bit mystic but still sticks with me ( hate clowns anyway). Good stories, bit samey and characters not that strong, but still Needful Things and the Night Shift gave me real creepy creeps. Didn't like Tommyknockers and not sure what he was on for Langoliers. Don't even know how to say that...

I read IT when I was 9 years old and quite enjoyed it for a while, but found it incredibly long and boring probably because I was a bit young, so gave up on it and watched the film when it came out a year later which was better. Read Misery and The Lawnmower Man and bits of other novels but I liked his short stores best. The Jaunt and Survivor Type from 'Skeleton Crew' were great. Haven't read anything of his since I was about 13 or 14 though. Mainly the films, The Running Man, The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption etc.

Liked his early stuff. It felt like he lost his touch about the time he was in that car accident. I haven't enjoyed anything he's written since then.

Just remembered I asked my then girlfriend - 1990? - if she wanted to see Pet Sematary with me not knowing that she'd just been told by her mother that her childhood pet dog had died back at home. She got upset and we didn;t stay together much longer. Ooops!

i've enjoyed what i've read of his post-'99 writing, especially duma key and just after sunset - N is an excellent long short story.

Haven't tried those. I may have to give him another shot.

It seemed to me that he started going for the gross out instead of the slow burn. I didn't care for Dreamcatcher at all for that reason. From the date it was published, it might have been the one he was working on at the time of the accident. A major life event like that could throw anyone off for a while.

Haven't tried those. I may have to give him another shot.

It seemed to me that he started going for the gross out instead of the slow burn. I didn't care for Dreamcatcher at all for that reason. From the date it was published, it might have been the one he was working on at the time of the accident. A major life event like that could throw anyone off for a while.
tbh he's never been the most consistent of authors: he's written an awful lot and in an oeuvre that large some things will be poor. hell, even shakespeare wrote a couple of ropy plays! when he's good, he's very very good, but when he's bad he's still decent.

Just remembered I asked my then girlfriend - 1990? - if she wanted to see Pet Sematary with me not knowing that she'd just been told by her mother that her childhood pet dog had died back at home. She got upset and we didn;t stay together much longer. Ooops!

Oh dear.
Pet Sematary is a nasty enough film anyway.

The Bachman Books are fantastic - especially The Long Walk and The Running Man. When I read them as a teen the concepts for both were just about the most exciting stories I could think of.

I think the Op question is a bit ridiculous. It's a bit like asking do you think music is crap or excellent.

King is such a prolific writer that yep he's turned out some crap but also some real gems and varying degrees of the spectrum in between.

A friend of mine just read 11.22.63 and enjoyed it. He's never read a Stephen King before.

What should I recommend him to read next? I'm thinking The Stand or the Shining

I was going to re-read all Kings books that I read as a young person, in order, and then read the ones I never got round to.

Trouble is getting through Salem's Lot was a bit of a slog. It's way longer than I remembered and pretty boring tbh. It put me off reading more for the moment, but I aim to pick up again at some point.

I reckon this is the closest relevant thread

Anyone able to hook me up with a link, ecopy etc of the Stephen King short story 'Crouch End'?

Currently 1100 pages into reading IT again.

IT is one of his best, but clearly beyond the point where his editors at the book company had any real effect on his output. Otherwise the "Are you absolutely sure you want to go there, Stephen?" conversation might have had an impact.

Back
Top Bottom